Proud to be a motorhomer?

fesspark

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway, "am I proud to be a motorhomer?" I'm not particularly proud or anything else. It's something I do and enjoy. But I get your point. Being a lone Motorhome user,owner most of the time my need to empty my cassettes, (I have 3) doesn't arise as often as others and my personal pluming is in pretty good shape and I would sooner take a short walk or drive to a bar or cafe, buy a coffee and use the loo provided. This is mainly around Spain as France caters for motorhomes as we know. It can be difficult to find cassette emptying points in Spain if you are not on a campsite but the aires in Spain are increasing and many offer water tank emptying and filling and cassette emptying for a small sum. As for lifting a man hole cover in Spain if caught by the Guardia Civil can proof very expensive. Most are marked as Senimento ( have I spelt that correctly? *-) Dog owner pick up their dog poo in Spain? Not from where I'm looking. I'd post a picture but I'm sure you all know what it looks like. PS what ever happened to white dog poo?

globebuster - 2017-01-18 10:08 PM

Well, I'm glad we've cleared that up then.........

It would appear that you now also consider this practice as unacceptable behaviour............

Well its like saying parking directly outside someone's window blocking their sea view may be unacceptable behaviour. But Scarborough Council used that one as an excuse to ban overnight motorhome parking on Marine drive where the only buildings behind are on top of 100ft cliffs, and its dark anyway. (My hero Andy Strangeway got that one overturned) This is why I think you have got to see it before taking sides. :-|

What an earth has parking in Scarborough got to do with the disposal of human excrement!

So, you still won't give a straight answer as to whether leaving a cassette full of human waste in a hedge is [in your opinion] right or wrong

It seems that during this thread you have dug an almighty great hole for yourself - certainly deep enough to dispose any thetford cassette I know of :-D

I don't think it's quite the same thing John. Human wast disposal and blocking someone's non existent view don't compare. I think one is a genuine problem and the other just a local councillor using bully boy tactics to find a way around the RTA laws as they stand in the UK and yes I to applaud some of the appeals and cases brought by Mr A Strangeway against councils along with other campaigners such as D Bukhari, "sleeping in a vehicle, cooking in a vehicles, what can you do legally in your vehicle? The mind boggles (what do they know) I say "some" as both have campaigned on many fronts so some are not relevant or interest me. The Brits in motorhomes in Spain are in a minority as against the French, German & Hollanders and tend to do as they see others doing ( not everyone *-) ) A big problem is internet sites telling jo public that this place or that place is a camping car aire, stating " water available on the beach lift manhole cover behind red beach hut or cheringito, so people turn up get tables and chairs and even wind breaks and awnings out and start camping where it is parking only. Then get annoyed when told to leave. Many will tell you they have never been moved. I think anyone can see this sort of behaviour is not going to endear you to the local inhabitants or the Guardia or local police. All it takes is a bit of common sense a bit of diplomacy and respect. If the Spanish do it that ok, it's there county not ours or any other nations. It's ok to "wild camp" but try to do a good imatation of parking to keep the peace.

How did we get from this;

fesspark - 2017-01-17 10:44 AM

it appears some have used the hedgerow at the side of the field.

to this

globebuster - 2017-01-19 9:20 AM

leaving a cassette full of human waste in a hedge

Must admit I have peed in a wide neck fabric conditioner bottle and poured it in a hedgerow. Not something I am proud of, but I am sure it hasn't done any harm and seems an environmentally way to recycle it.

John52 - 2017-01-19 10:22 AM

How did we get from this;

fesspark - 2017-01-17 10:44 AM

it appears some have used the hedgerow at the side of the field.

to this

globebuster - 2017-01-19 9:20 AM

leaving a cassette full of human waste in a hedge

Must admit I have peed in a wide neck fabric conditioner bottle and poured it in a hedgerow. Not something I am proud of, but I am sure it hasn't done any harm and seems an environmentally way to recycle it.

"a wide neck bottle" we didn't need that information or were you just bragging :D why not just pee in the hedge?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2017-01-19 10:22 AM

Must admit I have peed in a wide neck fabric conditioner bottle and poured it in a hedgerow. .

You wanna be careful ..........You might end up with a soft willy 8-) ........

Brian Kirby - 2017-01-18 7:09 PM

John52 - 2017-01-18 4:18 PM

fesspark - 2017-01-18 3:55 PM

Well,i have started something here, people are find if they do not pick their dog crap up but to some think its o.k. to tip human crap around,as far as burying it, as an ex commando we dug latrines and crapped in the desert.I think that we had no other option.ha ha.

Do you think tipping it under a hedge at the side of a road by a field is as bad as leaving dog crap on the pavement or playing field?

I have to say, I'm puzzled, too, John. I've just read down this thread and you do seem to be arguing, quite strenuously, against every post that condemns this behaviour.

You have argued that lifting a manhole cover is a justified way to dispose of cassette contents, on the basis that manhole covers are only used in foul drains. This is certainly not the case in UK, they are placed at intervals along any long underground drainage run (foul or surface water) to allow blockages to be cleared. Ditto at changes of direction, ditto on abrupt changes of level. But, who knows what drainage practises are elsewhere in Europe? The only thing that can be said with certainty, is that they are liable to differ from UK practise. The only "safe" assumption is that the drain is surface water, and will discharge untreated to sea, lake, or river.

You have also argued that there is no real harm in emptying the cassette along the line of a hedge. The question of the risk of spread of disease has been well rehearsed above, including the fact that there are restrictions on the practise in UK, and most developed countries, for just that reason. There are also frequently ditches adjacent to hedges, and ditches frequently flow into water courses.

Add that it is impossible (well, not something I'd choose to ask, or sample! :-)) to know the contents of someone else's cassette. What of the chemical additives some place in the cassette, some of which contain formaldehyde? Then, what of the undigested toilet paper, possibly condoms etc, that may be included? They festoon the base of the hedge until rain etc. washes them away, and Spain, in large measure, is a dry country.

But, above all, what of the impression left on others who discover these unsightly and odorous discards? Who are they likely to think are the culprits, given that few vehicles other than motorhomes and caravans have cassette type toilets, and that few caravanners indulge in "wild" camping. Is it not obvious that discovery of the aftermath of such practises would generate revulsion and indignation in any member of the public, leading eventually to greater and wider restriction on motorhoming?

I'm not making personal judgements, nor am I casting aspersions, but I do wonder why you are persisting in defending what is, in essence, a totally unnecessary practise. It just seems to me common sense that this is, at the very least, an aesthetically repugnant practise, that can only harm the longer term interests of motorhomers in general.

At the risk of lowering the tone of this debate (if that were possible) might I suggest that the general demographic of UK MH owners might render the possibility of used of condoms forming part of the waste they discharge in unsuitable areas maybe somewhat remote. As ever Brian your scientific analysis cannot be faulted but perhaps biology is not your strongest suit when considering what good examples there are of the likely contents of such odious waste. ;-)

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-01-19 4:26 PM....................At the risk of lowering the tone of this debate (if that were possible) might I suggest that the general demographic of UK MH owners might render the possibility of used of condoms forming part of the waste they discharge in unsuitable areas maybe somewhat remote. As ever Brian your scientific analysis cannot be faulted but perhaps biology is not your strongest suit when considering what good examples there are of the likely contents of such odious waste. ;-) Veronica

Maybe you're right, Veronica, but surely they're not all heterosexual couples? Just a thought. :$

Brian Kirby - 2017-01-19 6:55 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-01-19 4:26 PM....................At the risk of lowering the tone of this debate (if that were possible) might I suggest that the general demographic of UK MH owners might render the possibility of used of condoms forming part of the waste they discharge in unsuitable areas maybe somewhat remote. As ever Brian your scientific analysis cannot be faulted but perhaps biology is not your strongest suit when considering what good examples there are of the likely contents of such odious waste. ;-) Veronica

Maybe you're right, Veronica, but surely they're not all heterosexual couples? Just a thought. :$

From the perspective of someone with just a years membership of this happy band they would still be in the closet.

(lol)

Veronica

keninpalamos - 2017-01-19 10:30 AM

why not just pee in the hedge?

Might not be by the hedge at the time and don't want to give anyone a shock 8-)

What I find most odious is people who pee in bottles and throw the bottles in the hedge. Like those who pick up their dog poo in plastic bags, and then just drop the bags, or use them to decorate the hedge. The waste would just decompose naturally and disappear if it wasn't for the bottles and plastic bags.

John52 - 2017-01-17 3:49 PM
fesspark - 2017-01-17 10:44 AMThe mind boggles?A freind of mine who has a place in Arunal ,Javea Spain pointed out to me the other day that the wild campers in the road behind their property are not just tipping there toilet waste in the manholes but it appears some have used the hedgerow at the side of the field.The m,homes have been there up to 3 months,all nationalities including Brits.One day the police will wake up here.?
Need to see it to make an informed opinion. If its in the manholes isn't it in the same place as flushing it down the toilet?If its going in te hedgerows is it doing any more harm than farmers muckspreading on their fields?

Yes it is because of untreated pathogens in human waste as well as pharmaceutical and metals they contain as it is untreated waste.......basically, apart from just dumping it, it is a rather unpleasant and potentially dangerous practice. 

Archived