on the subject of insurance

tonyg3nwl

Further to my recent post regarding uk travel insurance, in the event of demise of policy holder, is it the case that the policy dies also, and therefore the second driver could be no longer insured until a new policy is created spefically for that driver in their own right.

or is it the case, that as second driver, the rights of the policy automatically transfer to that driver..

any legal experts or other views???

tonyg3nwl.

Insurance terms can vary, but it is common practice with motor insurance for a policy to become void on the death of the policyholder.

Accordingly, a named driver would not subsequently be covered, and would need to take out new insurance.

It would be worthwhile enquiring of your provider what their policy would be (and particular, for example, in an emergency for, say, repatriation of the vehicle), but in general, a new policy would be required for ongoing, normal use.

For this very reason is why we have changed our car insurance over to OH as the Policyholder, so that we are both insured separately but both named as additional drivers on each others policies. When we lived in France and had our vehicle Insurance you were insured as a couple if you were married, so this doesn't arise over there and it was only when we returned to the UK and the same question came up on another Forum that we realised the situation so we had to make a change. Unfortunately by doing this we have had to start again with no NCB on the car but it has solved a possible headache. By the way, there is no need to change the names of the vehicle keeper with the DVLA as most Insurance Companies accept this, obviously if things change then it will have to be done.

hi,

I thought that if you had a named driver with you they would be expected to drive the vehicle home.

Can't quite see from what is being said how anybody other than the insurance company would be bringing the van back. Very interesting point that has been raised by the original poster and Robinhood.

cheers

derek

Randonneur - 2017-01-28 1:35 PM

there is no need to change the names of the vehicle keeper with the DVLA.

I don't know about this as when you go for an online quote is asks the policyholder;

when s(he) took ownership of the car

(and you have to enter a date). Given that premiums vary enourmously with the age of the policyholder I imagine them to be wary of someone insuring a vehicle for someone else?

I have genuinely become the main driver of my elderly mothers car and am in the process of insuring it in my own name with her as a named driver (which makes the premium much cheaper) So I am wondering if we have to transfer ownership of her car to me as well. (which is a bit of a pain because the road tax doesn't transfer to the new keeper/owner now, so I would prefer to leave the car in her name if possible)

I have just phoned the caravan club insurers to try and clarify the situation in their case ( my van is insured through them)

The response was tha in the event of death of the main driver, the second driver remains covered under the policy until the normal policy renewal date. The remaining driver then has to take out their own policy .

Therefore the surviving driver would be responsible for making arrangements to get the vehicle home.and to then reregister the vehicle in their own name... and ofcourse get clobbered for tax again.

Other policies may have different rules, so each should ask their own insurer.

Tonyg3nwl.

A couple of links that may be of interest.

This relates to the difference between a vehicle’s owner and its registered keeper.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q743.htm

Questions about what happens regarding vehicle-insurance if the policy holder dies and there is a named driver have been asked before as the results of this GOOGLE-search reveal

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=car+insurance+named+driver+death

It seems that some policies specifically define how the policy-holder’s death affects the validity of a policy, but other policies do not.

If a policy’s wording does not cover the death issue, it would be wise to contact the insurance provider and ask them to provide clear (written) guidance.

John52 - 2017-01-29 11:24 AM

Randonneur - 2017-01-28 1:35 PM

there is no need to change the names of the vehicle keeper with the DVLA.

I don't know about this as when you go for an online quote is asks the policyholder;

when s(he) took ownership of the car

(and you have to enter a date). Given that premiums vary enourmously with the age of the policyholder I imagine them to be wary of someone insuring a vehicle for someone else?

I have genuinely become the main driver of my elderly mothers car and am in the process of insuring it in my own name with her as a named driver (which makes the premium much cheaper) So I am wondering if we have to transfer ownership of her car to me as well. (which is a bit of a pain because the road tax doesn't transfer to the new keeper/owner now, so I would prefer to leave the car in her name if possible)

This is what we have done. We have insured the car in my name with Martin still as the registered keeper and additional driver. This was fine with the Insurer, no problem at all, maybe because it is still a "Spouse".

Will

It’s irrelevant to this issue whether or not the named driver has the capability to drive the vehicle if the policy-holder dies. The question is “If the policy-holder dies and the named driver drives the vehicle, will the named driver be insured when he/she is doing this?”

Obviously, if the named driver cannot, or feels unable to, drive the vehicle (and I suspect it will be fairly common for a wife to be a named driver on a motorhome-related insurance policy, but have never actually driven the thing) if the policy-holder has died, the insurance question won’t arise.

Archived