Headlamp Protectors Remove Lettering (Solvent ?)

HymerVan

I have seen threads before about how to remove the lettering ("FIAT Branding") from my new

polycarbonate ? headlamp protectors supplied by VanBitz. But I can't find the thread I want to gently remove unwanted lettering but not to damage or dissolve the plastic ? Can anyone advise/direct me ?

IF the lettering is screen printed onto the headlight protectors as opposed to a sticky label I have used "printers solvent" in the past. I am not sure what the correct name is but the printing plants here use it to wash down their presses between jobs. It works a treat and will not harm the plastic. If you know someone in the printing industry it is worth trying.
Cheers,

silverback - 2017-01-29 8:51 PM

a bit off post but why would you want to remove the lettering?...

Jonathan

This advert for Airplex headlamp protectors

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/polycarbonate_protectors.htm

says

"Clear Tough Airplex Headlamp Protectors complete with Converters for European Travel: These are mostly Fiat branded for Ducato-Boxer 2007-14 and also 2014-on. Ducato and Boxer have identical headlamps of course, if desired you can remove the small Fiat logo with thinners (but don't remove the mask marks!).”

I’m guessing that HymerVan’s wish to remove the Fiat reference may be because his 2012 motothome is based on a Citroen Relay.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-01-29 5:38 PM

This 2015 discussion may help

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Sticky-stuff/38071/

As shaggy has advised, using ordinary WD-40 would be worth trying to begin with.

(I wasn’t aware that VanBitz marketed headlamp protectors, though I know Van Comfort does.)

Thanks again Derek I am once again indebted to you.

It is indeed Van Comfort and not Van Bitz. I had persuaded myself that both companies used similar names. I know who Van Bitz are and will be making an 1100 mile round trip to them before too long !

Gentle application of WD 40 hasn't done anything.

I want to remove the lettering because there is quite a lot of it and it is "FIAT" branded whereas my vehicle is a Citroen. And YES I do know that they are both SEVELs etc.

I will try some of the alternative solvents suggested in a non critical bit of the cover .

Thanks again.

Derek

My post crossed with yours and included a response to Silverback which you also anticipated. I may just have used insufficient abrasion but it is better to start gently.

My present 2012 Fifer is for sale and I I have bought new covers because I am getting a new Van a 2017 Fifer M which of course has different headlights and the new covers have much more extraneous printing on them.

Incidentally whilst I have yet to fit the covers it looks as though fitting and removal will be much easier with no clips to pre-fit, no direct interference with van components and no tools required. This will be boon at ferry ports.

Archived