Idle Thoughts on Brexit

Dave225

Thank you for all the comments. Yes, I was trying to keep it light hearted as there is enough gloom and doom around from all sorts of sources without me adding to it. However, I was having to think towards the end for suitable discussion points so if anyone hs others, then please feell free to throw them in.

Just one or 2 comments though.

The EHIC cvard has nothing to do with the EU, it is abilateral agreement between the UK and various countries, so is unaffected by Brexit. I know some 'remeiners' try to say it is, but it is not.

As for number plates with UK national flags, yes, they are legal inside the UK, but not legal in other EU countries. The EU law states the EU flag must be shown. You either accept it or just fit a standard GB plate. I did with my campervan as I could not be bothered buyinmg new plates. A magnetic one does the job.

As for booze cruises etc, these may or may not remain. I agree our Government has never shown itself being friendly towards its citizens despite us keeping them in their cosseted lifestyle, but you never know. At least there may be a grace period in which I can strip the camper and fill up with 2 tonnes of goodies. Also as tax here is the main downside of any alcohol purchase, imports from the Antipodes will be the same as they are now costwise.

I still feel market forces will rule the day, as they always do. If people inn the EU see themselves being done downwards then agreements will soon be forthcoming. I doubt they will harass me in a GB van and force me to take my money home.

As for exchange rates, these come and go for various reasons. The latest drop was completely down to Cairney getting it all wrong and cutting rates when he shouldn't have. Nothing to do with brexit. It will come back as the euro drops. Plus will the difference between 1.17 and 1.30 really make you want to go to an expensive resort ibn Cornwall instead of Spain with sun shine??? Sorry Cornwall, but been there and been screwed. Never again.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2017-02-17 12:54 PM

pepe63 - 2017-02-17 11:32 AM

Back to the general point; Apart from the possibility of a few extra queues and/or a bit more form filling(and maybe having an Asian or African,instead of eastern Europeans to wipe their backside when they eventually go into a care home),I can't see leaving the EU making that much difference to the lives of the average retired, state/private/public sector/"Navy" pension drawing motor-homer...

(not unless it involved a need to ration their internet access?.... (lol) )

It'll be those in employment..and those having to meet current-day levels of mortgages and rents, whilst bringing up families, that'll bear the brunt of any affects..

Oh I think you are wrong there. It will make a big difference. It already has. I have been banging on about motorhomers voting for Brexit being like Turkeys voting for Christmas for long enough..../cropped/....

I don't disagree with the points you posted Barry..but what I was really saying was that those MHing Brexiteers making the most noise about leaving- those always telling us how they are willing to take any financial hits as it would be worth it etc- aren't going to be the ones that it could seriously hit anyway....

Okay, so they may only be able to spend 3 months on their jollies, instead of 4..and it may cost 'em a bit more....and they may not be able to bring as much plonk back....so what?...

That's hardly going to be real life changing stuff for them is it....

It was never going to be them who risked being at any possible sharp end anyway.. :-S

pelmetman - 2017-02-17 3:06 PM

John52 - 2017-02-17 11:04 AM

Foreign owned car factories won't put up with that and tariffs as well. They will accept generous relocation packages to move into the EU. Especially since British workers are the cheapest to sack - the reason they puit factories in Britain in the first place)

..and aren't Peugeot looking to buy GM (Vauxhall & Opel), so who knows where Vauxhalls could end up being made?....

Back to the general point; Apart from the possibility of a few extra queues and/or a bit more form filling(and maybe having an Asian or African,instead of eastern Europeans to wipe their backside when they eventually go into a care home),I can't see leaving the EU making that much difference to the lives of the average retired, state/private/public sector/"Navy" pension drawing motor-homer...

It'll be those in employment..and those having to meet current-day levels of mortgages and rents, whilst bringing up families, that'll bear the brunt of any affects..

Oh I think you are wrong there. It will make a big difference. It already has. I have been banging on about motorhomers voting for Brexit being like Turkeys voting for Christmas for long enough.

Lets remind ourselves of the downsides for us.

Poor exchange rate. On my last trip over the water we enjoyed four months at over 1.4 to the pound. Now look at it and if or when we leave I would expect it to drop to Parity at least. Over a four month trip your looking probably at it costing you £1000 more than when it was at its best.

However point number two. We will only be allowed three months in Schengen anyway so you wont be able to spend as much I guess but bad news for all those Snow birds who like to spend the entire winter in Spain on a bit of scrubland and bad news for people like me who like to spend the entire summer wandering around Europe.

Yep, Duty free. How many of us overloaded our vans with all our goodies on the way home. The government will not do us any favours here. Not only that, already much of the stuff I really like to eat and drink from France which was already expensive here has started to shoot up even more. It will be warm crappy British beer and cheddar cheese from now on but Brexiteers will probably like that.

EHIC Card. That will no doubt go. Travel insurance will rocket and of course will not cover existing ailments. Try not to get ill, injure yourself or die as it will be costly.

Roaming rates. Just when we were on the brink of the EU flattening them we will be back to how it was ten years ago.

Those are a few for starters but yeah, unless you dont give a toss about money and are willing to be an illegal alien for long trips there is very little to get excited about for our post brexit motorhoming in mainland Europe.

Yeah I can just see Spain chucking me out after 3 months (lol) ........Do der maff's Barry *-) .......

17 million Brits go to Spain every year.......Do you really think they'll allow the EU to mess with that meal ticket (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

It wont be Spain's decision though. As a none EU citizen you will be in violation of the terms of Schengen for none EU visitors and as such illegally in Europe. Yes you may get away with it but people are caught, heavily fined and can be refused entry in the future. Dont forget the Guardia Civil have a bit of a reputation for finding ways to raise funds and a €700 fine (which is about what it usually is now) for over staying will be a nice little earner for them. Oh and if you manage to successfully stay in Spain all winter presumably you will have to pass through passport control when you leave or run the gauntlet up through France. Your passport will have been checked on exit and will automatically flag up when you leave so you may well find yourself in trouble at the exiting port.

As for the EHIC Card there are certainly concerns about it. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-brexit-medical-treatment-ehic-health-select-committee-labour-a7544396.html

Nothing is set in stone and it will depend on what sort of deal we get.

Guest pelmetman
Dave225 - 2017-02-17 7:25 PM

As for exchange rates, these come and go for various reasons. The latest drop was completely down to Cairney getting it all wrong and cutting rates when he shouldn't have. Nothing to do with brexit. It will come back as the euro drops. Plus will the difference between 1.17 and 1.30 really make you want to go to an expensive resort ibn Cornwall instead of Spain with sun shine??? Sorry Cornwall, but been there and been screwed. Never again.

Had to laugh when all the lefties started screaming that inflation rates had hit 1.6% ........Whilst conveniently ignoring that wage rises had reached 2.6%, or that the BoE see 2% inflation as the optimum target rate to aim for *-) .......

My feeling is that the next interest rate movement will be up, not down like the Remoaners would have us believe.......and the sooner the better B-) .......

Talking of Cornwall, even if the pound reached parity Spain would still cheaper ;-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-02-17 8:32 PM

Foreign owned car factories won't put up with that and tariffs as well. They will accept generous relocation packages to move into the EU. Especially since British workers are the cheapest to sack - the reason they puit factories in Britain in the first place)

..and aren't Peugeot looking to buy GM (Vauxhall & Opel), so who knows where Vauxhalls could end up being made?....

Oh I think you are wrong there. It will make a big difference. It already has. I have been banging on about motorhomers voting for Brexit being like Turkeys voting for Christmas for long enough.

Poor exchange rate. On my last trip over the water we enjoyed four months at over 1.4 to the pound. Now look at it and if or when we leave I would expect it to drop to Parity at least. Over a four month trip your looking probably at it costing you £1000 more than when it was at its best.

However point number two. We will only be allowed three months in Schengen anyway so you wont be able to spend as much I guess but bad news for all those Snow birds who like to spend the entire winter in Spain on a bit of scrubland and bad news for people like me who like to spend the entire summer wandering around Europe.

Yep, Duty free. How many of us overloaded our vans with all our goodies on the way home. The government will not do us any favours here. Not only that, already much of the stuff I really like to eat and drink from France which was already expensive here has started to shoot up even more. It will be warm crappy British beer and cheddar cheese from now on but Brexiteers will probably like that.

EHIC Card. That will no doubt go. Travel insurance will rocket and of course will not cover existing ailments. Try not to get ill, injure yourself or die as it will be costly.

Roaming rates. Just when we were on the brink of the EU flattening them we will be back to how it was ten years ago.

Those are a few for starters but yeah, unless you dont give a toss about money and are willing to be an illegal alien for long trips there is very little to get excited about for our post brexit motorhoming in mainland Europe.

Yeah I can just see Spain chucking me out after 3 months (lol) ........Do der maff's Barry *-) .......

17 million Brits go to Spain every year.......Do you really think they'll allow the EU to mess with that meal ticket (lol) (lol) (lol) ............

It wont be Spain's decision though. As a none EU citizen you will be in violation of the terms of Schengen for none EU visitors and as such illegally in Europe. Yes you may get away with it but people are caught, heavily fined and can be refused entry in the future. Dont forget the Guardia Civil have a bit of a reputation for finding ways to raise funds and a €700 fine (which is about what it usually is now) for over staying will be a nice little earner for them. Oh and if you manage to successfully stay in Spain all winter presumably you will have to pass through passport control when you leave or run the gauntlet up through France. Your passport will have been checked on exit and will automatically flag up when you leave so you may well find yourself in trouble at the exiting port.

As for the EHIC Card there are certainly concerns about it. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-hunt-brexit-medical-treatment-ehic-health-select-committee-labour-a7544396.html

Of course it'll be Spains decision, they're still a sovereign nation ;-) ........and how the hell will the exiting port know where we've been on the European continent? (lol) ........

On a different tack, I think we need a catchy name for the obsessive Leavers, the ones who rant and crow and call other people names to assert their right to have the Referendum result respected and carried out over as many dead bodies as necessary and without any delay.  The ones who call everyone who even hints at anything else a "Remoaner".

I'm quite reconciled to leaving the EU, now that we've started down that road, but I don't think it helps to have a bunch of crowing fanatics snapping at everyone's heels.  They clearly are fanatics and fanatics are uncomfortable and possibly dangerous fellow travellers.

How about the "Leaverlunies"?

StuartO - 2017-02-20 9:30 AMOn a different tack, I think we need a catchy name for the obsessive Leavers, the ones who rant and crow and call other people names to assert their right to have the Referendum result respected and carried out over as many dead bodies as necessary and without any delay.  The ones who call everyone who even hints at anything else a "Remoaner".

I'm quite reconciled to leaving the EU, now that we've started down that road, but I don't think it helps to have a bunch of crowing fanatics snapping at everyone's heels.  They clearly are fanatics and fanatics are uncomfortable and possibly dangerous fellow travellers.

How's about winners ;-)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2017-02-20 9:37 AM
StuartO - 2017-02-20 9:30 AMOn a different tack, I think we need a catchy name for the obsessive Leavers, the ones who rant and crow and call other people names to assert their right to have the Referendum result respected and carried out over as many dead bodies as necessary and without any delay.  The ones who call everyone who even hints at anything else a "Remoaner".

How's about winners ;-)
Yeah that's got a ring to it :D .......and instead of Remoaners..... we could call them losers B-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-02-20 9:13 AM

Of course it'll be Spains decision, they're still a sovereign nation ;-) ........and how the hell will the exiting port know where we've been on the European continent? (lol) ........

Your passports are scanned when you leave the UK and enter or leave Schengen. It will be flagged up immediately when you try to exit if you have overstayed and you will be fined and possibly banned for several years. This happens all the time now or do you think they will turn a blind eye just because we are Brits? :D Its irrelevant anyway as all the services and legal side of travel such as your Vans motor insurance, breakdown insurance, travel insurance etc will all be based around the maximum allowed three month visit. As you are only legally allowed three months in Schengen there will be no need for insurance companies to provide cover beyond that so you would be driving illegally. If stopped you could be fined, your vehicle crushed and fined again for being an illegal immigrant and kicked out of Europe.

I Wouldnt mind betting HMRC and our own customs would be just as likely to "Do" you on return if you have overstayed as well. They love rules and regs and prosecuting those that break them.

All those snow bird brexiteers that are down in Spain for months on end are in for a hell of a shock. Ill be alright as I voted Remain and should get my EU Citizens passport which that nice man in Belgium is going to get for me. :D

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2017-02-20 10:23 AM

Your passports are scanned when you leave the UK and enter or leave Schengen. It will be flagged up immediately when you try to exit if you have overstayed and you will be fined and possibly banned for several years. This happens all the time now or do you think they will turn a blind eye just because we are Brits? :D Its irrelevant anyway as all the services and legal side of travel such as your Vans motor insurance, breakdown insurance, travel insurance etc will all be based around the maximum allowed three month visit. As you are only legally allowed three months in Schengen there will be no need for insurance companies to provide cover beyond that so you would be driving illegally. If stopped you could be fined, your vehicle crushed and fined again for being an illegal immigrant and kicked out of Europe.

I Wouldnt mind betting HMRC and our own customs would be just as likely to "Do" you on return if you have overstayed as well. They love rules and regs and prosecuting those that break them.

All those snow bird brexiteers that are down in Spain for months on end are in for a hell of a shock. Ill be alright as I voted Remain and should get my EU Citizens passport which that nice man in Belgium is going to get for me. :D

So the UK will fine me? they're the only ones I've ever noticed bother to look at my passport, even when we got the boat back at Christmas the Spanish passport control just waved us through ;-) ........

How do they know I haven't been to Gib?......last time we went there they just looked at our passport at the border, no scanners involved :-| ........

Wishful thinking on you Remoaners oops I mean Losers part methinks :D ......

pelmetman - 2017-02-20 10:44 AM

So the UK will fine me? they're the only ones I've ever noticed bother to look at my passport, even when we got the boat back at Christmas the Spanish passport control just waved us through ;-) ........

How do they know I haven't been to Gib?......last time we went there they just looked at our passport at the border, no scanners involved :-| ........

Wishful thinking on you Remoaners oops I mean Losers part methinks :D ......

Do you think the passport controls will be as lax once we are no longer in Europe Dave? If you have not got your passport scanned or stamped to say you have been to Gib for three months which is the minimum before you can return to Schengen then that scam wont work as you have no proof you left Schengen when you were supposed to.

Its all irrelevant anyway. You will be breaking the law. It doesnt matter how much Spain welcomes you or is lenient towards Ex Pats you will still be an illegal and as such liable to be fined and deported and as said I doubt very much whether your insurance will be valid anyway beyond three months.

Its not wishful thinking at all, its the way it is now. Why do you think it will be different for us. I have to say though I will pish myself laughing when the first Brexiteers snow birds start getting fined and kicked out of Europe.

The Leave lot are currently riding a wave of euphoric glee and i'm watching them dig their grave. Sadly they are hell bent on taking everyone else down with them over a pathetically uncomfortable narrow margin.....one which had i voted leave, would not be happy or comfortable with and certainly would not be proud of! Taxes will soon begin to bite and hit them very hard and thats when many will start to squeal. Price increases have already begun as a result of the weakened pound and fuel is on the increase too. Businesses are facing rate hikes of up to 400% so many will either close down resulting in more unemployment, or just ship out of UK altogether. As for a "catchy name".....there isn't one other than insanity.
Barryd999 - 2017-02-20 10:23 AMYour passports are scanned when you leave the UK and enter or leave Schengen. It will be flagged up immediately when you try to exit if you have overstayed and you will be fined and possibly banned for several years. This happens all the time now or do you think they will turn a blind eye just because we are Brits? :D Its irrelevant anyway as all the services and legal side of travel such as your Vans motor insurance, breakdown insurance, travel insurance etc will all be based around the maximum allowed three month visit. As you are only legally allowed three months in Schengen there will be no need for insurance companies to provide cover beyond that so you would be driving illegally. If stopped you could be fined, your vehicle crushed and fined again for being an illegal immigrant and kicked out of Europe.I Wouldnt mind betting HMRC and our own customs would be just as likely to "Do" you on return if you have overstayed as well. They love rules and regs and prosecuting those that break them.All those snow bird brexiteers that are down in Spain for months on end are in for a hell of a shock. Ill be alright as I voted Remain and should get my EU Citizens passport which that nice man in Belgium is going to get for me. :D
Yes snowbirds like Pelmet are in for a shock because they certainly haven't woke up..........yet. Still in dream land.Insurance is where many get caught out even now. Not so much vehicle or breakdown, but house insurance. Many companies won't cover "unoccupancy" and those that do have limits plus you pay an extra premium. I have one on mine but it costs me a fair bit over and above normal occupancy. A lot will try to chance it but if your house gets broken into and ransacked or worst case scenario, burnt down.....attempting a claim would be futile because the insurance company will go through everything before paying out and you could find your policy being voided.When i put in a claim after being robbed in Spain i was staggered at what the insurance asked for......proof of travel (ferry booking ticket) and all fuel receipts even though neither of those would be paid back. And all had to be originals....no photocopies. The reason they were asking for this was to prove i'd been where i'd said i was at the time and all dates matched up with what i'd told them.Though i know it won't happen, ideally i'd like to see two passports on offer.....a Remain and a Leave. The Remain one being free for life and funded by Brexiters who will be charged £250 for a 3 month passport. I'm seeing the clamour of Brexiters now all wailing "but really we voted Remain.....Gods gospel guv" (lol) Rights of passage to Remain voters who will be waved through all Customs border controls leaving Brexiters stuck in Operation Stack on the M20. That's their holiday destination in future. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2017-02-20 4:00 PM

The Leave lot are currently riding a wave of euphoric glee and i'm watching them dig their grave. Sadly they are hell bent on taking everyone else down with them over a pathetically uncomfortable narrow margin.....one which had i voted leave, would not be happy or comfortable with and certainly would not be proud of! Taxes will soon begin to bite and hit them very hard and thats when many will start to squeal. Price increases have already begun as a result of the weakened pound and fuel is on the increase too. Businesses are facing rate hikes of up to 400% so many will either close down resulting in more unemployment, or just ship out of UK altogether. As for a "catchy name".....there isn't one other than insanity.
Barryd999 - 2017-02-20 10:23 AMYour passports are scanned when you leave the UK and enter or leave Schengen. It will be flagged up immediately when you try to exit if you have overstayed and you will be fined and possibly banned for several years. This happens all the time now or do you think they will turn a blind eye just because we are Brits? :D Its irrelevant anyway as all the services and legal side of travel such as your Vans motor insurance, breakdown insurance, travel insurance etc will all be based around the maximum allowed three month visit. As you are only legally allowed three months in Schengen there will be no need for insurance companies to provide cover beyond that so you would be driving illegally. If stopped you could be fined, your vehicle crushed and fined again for being an illegal immigrant and kicked out of Europe.I Wouldnt mind betting HMRC and our own customs would be just as likely to "Do" you on return if you have overstayed as well. They love rules and regs and prosecuting those that break them.All those snow bird brexiteers that are down in Spain for months on end are in for a hell of a shock. Ill be alright as I voted Remain and should get my EU Citizens passport which that nice man in Belgium is going to get for me. :D
Yes snowbirds like Pelmet are in for a shock because they certainly haven't woke up..........yet. Still in dream land.Insurance is where many get caught out even now. Not so much vehicle or breakdown, but house insurance. Many companies won't cover "unoccupancy" and those that do have limits plus you pay an extra premium. I have one on mine but it costs me a fair bit over and above normal occupancy. A lot will try to chance it but if your house gets broken into and ransacked or worst case scenario, burnt down.....attempting a claim would be futile because the insurance company will go through everything before paying out and you could find your policy being voided.When i put in a claim after being robbed in Spain i was staggered at what the insurance asked for......proof of travel (ferry booking ticket) and all fuel receipts even though neither of those would be paid back. And all had to be originals....no photocopies. The reason they were asking for this was to prove i'd been where i'd said i was at the time and all dates matched up with what i'd told them.Though i know it won't happen, ideally i'd like to see two passports on offer.....a Remain and a Leave. The Remain one being free for life and funded by Brexiters who will be charged £250 for a 3 month passport. I'm seeing the clamour of Brexiters now all wailing "but really we voted Remain.....Gods gospel guv" (lol) Rights of passage to Remain voters who will be waved through all Customs border controls leaving Brexiters stuck in Operation Stack on the M20. That's their holiday destination in future. (lol)
Still in cloud cuckoo land then BG ;-) ..........BTW has any of those Losers dire predictions happened yet?.......Oh yeah inflation is up to 1.6% 8-) ........Which is still .4% short of the 2% BoE target...... and just what has business rates got to do with BREXIT? *-) .......EHIC card is working fine to B-) .......

As far as I understand Schengen rules stipulate that any citizen of the EU can travel freely to any Schengen country but can only stay for 90 days as a tourist. And can stay a maximum of 180 days in any one year, but in reality in 2 90 days slots. After whch they are supposed to register with the local police etc. Of course there is free movement but this is mainly for work reasons and once you settle you have to register, pay taxes etc. Yes the Guardia Civil do check campsites as they are fully aware of how many retirees stay the winter. So, if they do start checking on overstays, then they have to look at the French and Germans as well. They may do this, I do not know. I aslo know that many snowbirds fly home for Christmas with families returning Janauary so would pass the 90 day rule anyway.

I guess it all comes back down to realities at the end. Do the Spanish wish to screw up the golden egss from expats? Or will they be pragmatic and do the usual, stay out of trouble and we won't bother you.

As for passport checks the only time mine is scanned is when i come back to the UK, and get the miserable treatment from the jobsworth behind the desk. However, the scanned information is not kept so there is little point in actually doing it, except to look busy. As for entering Schengen, even although i am supposed to be stamped in, it never happens, you get the wave as you drive through. I doubt this will change except possibly |France who often just like to be pains in the a.., just for the fun of it. But even here I suspect they will se the loss of trade as not being particularly helpful to their ctizens.

Once the politicians have had their say and it has all,blown over, I suspect it will be back to business as usual.

Words of wisdom Brexiters won't like preferring to shout down and bury their heads.....

Brexit a decision for whole UK, not just hardliners in Tory party, says Mandelson

PM has 'gone full pelt to avoid public debate about Britain’s options in Europe, while rushing off to Washington'.

Peter Mandelson has demanded that Britain be given the right to “pass judgement” on Theresa May's Brexit deal, raising the prospect of a second referendum or even a general election to make the decision.

“If what replaces EU membership is a pale imitation of the benefits we have currently, we should have the chance to send the Government back to the negotiating table to secure a deal that gives us what we need.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-whole-uk-hardliners-second-referendum-theresa-may-peter-mandelson-a7589051.html

Dave225 - 2017-02-20 6:00 PM

As far as I understand Schengen rules stipulate that any citizen of the EU can travel freely to any Schengen country but can only stay for 90 days as a tourist. And can stay a maximum of 180 days in any one year, but in reality in 2 90 days slots. After whch they are supposed to register with the local police etc. Of course there is free movement but this is mainly for work reasons and once you settle you have to register, pay taxes etc. Yes the Guardia Civil do check campsites as they are fully aware of how many retirees stay the winter. So, if they do start checking on overstays, then they have to look at the French and Germans as well. They may do this, I do not know. I aslo know that many snowbirds fly home for Christmas with families returning Janauary so would pass the 90 day rule anyway.

I guess it all comes back down to realities at the end. Do the Spanish wish to screw up the golden egss from expats? Or will they be pragmatic and do the usual, stay out of trouble and we won't bother you.

As for passport checks the only time mine is scanned is when i come back to the UK, and get the miserable treatment from the jobsworth behind the desk. However, the scanned information is not kept so there is little point in actually doing it, except to look busy. As for entering Schengen, even although i am supposed to be stamped in, it never happens, you get the wave as you drive through. I doubt this will change except possibly |France who often just like to be pains in the a.., just for the fun of it. But even here I suspect they will se the loss of trade as not being particularly helpful to their ctizens.

Once the politicians have had their say and it has all,blown over, I suspect it will be back to business as usual.

Germans and French will be ok as they will still be in the EU and freedom of movement applies regardless of if your working or not. Flying home for Christmas is only going to help you if you dont coma back for three months.

Anyway dont forget that there is talk of Brits having to declare their travel before they head to Europe if we are out of the EU. We would probably have to be part of the ETIAS scheme. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk-passport-holders-visa-trips-europe-brexit-etias-borders-a7235691.html

So if we are required to either get a visa or declare our travel arrangements you really would be stuffed if you overstay as they will have to keep records of your entry and exit.

As said before I doubt any motor insurance policy would cover you for driving your van illegally as an illegal immigrant anyway.

One thing for sure anyone thinking its going to be business as usual motorhoming long term abroad is in for a shock.

We are not signatories to Schengen anyway but Norway and Switzerland are but are not in the EU so why wont we be able to come to similar arrangements I expect it will be the negotiations as it's to the EUs benefit to have our tourists. John. ;-)

Barryd999 - 2017-02-20 6:22 PM

Dave225 - 2017-02-20 6:00 PM

Germans and French will be ok as they will still be in the EU and freedom of movement applies regardless of if your working or not. Flying home for Christmas is only going to help you if you dont coma back for three months.

Anyway dont forget that there is talk of Brits having to declare their travel before they head to Europe if we are out of the EU. We would probably have to be part of the ETIAS scheme. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/uk-passport-holders-visa-trips-europe-brexit-etias-borders-a7235691.html

So if we are required to either get a visa or declare our travel arrangements you really would be stuffed if you overstay as they will have to keep records of your entry and exit.

As said before I doubt any motor insurance policy would cover you for driving your van illegally as an illegal immigrant anyway.

One thing for sure anyone thinking its going to be business as usual motorhoming long term abroad is in for a shock.

That's a certainty. Full timing or even long term already requires much jumping through hoops as it is, with the vast majority treading an extremely fine line between legal and illegal. Some risk it, some get away with it, but it won't take much now for UK Gov to finally tighten the screw.

I would suggest that it is highly unlikely any visa will be required as when you look at the long list of countries that currently can enter Schengen without a visa, the UK is not going to be barred. However the 90 days rule is likely to be more looked at, if the authorities so decide. What Schengen actually means is that you can pass through borders without passport checks or having to show a visa. It has nothing to do with any residency requirements of individual countries, so these still apply.

Now what the UK government will do to its own citizens is another matter, and imposing regulations is a national art here. But that is nothing to do with Schengen etc and it will be up to all of us as citizens to persuade the government of the day that we wish as many freedoms as we are able to enjoy.

There is also the factor that the remainers seem to ignore in that many EU countries are, or have actually done so, introduced border checks for any number of reasons, so Schengen itself will more than likely cease to exist shortly. Then we are all back in the same boat. You stop at the border, get a stamp in the passport, and go on your way. Not really a big deal and certainly nothing like trying to get into countries such as Saudi for example, where you are treated like absolute c..p.

Guest pelmetman
teflon2 - 2017-02-20 6:54 PM

We are not signatories to Schengen anyway but Norway and Switzerland are but are not in the EU so why wont we be able to come to similar arrangements I expect it will be the negotiations as it's to the EUs benefit to have our tourists. John. ;-)

Not mention that there's 3 million EU citizens in the UK and only 1 million Brits in the EU >:-) .......

teflon2 - 2017-02-20 6:54 PM

We probably can if we remain in the EEA and accept free movement and paying in like Norway do in order to access the single market. I would be fine with that but I suspect many on here would rather cut their own knackers off with a rusty old pair of scissors. :D

Archived