pagey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Brian Kirby - 2017-04-26 9:04 PM

Brian Kirby - 2017-03-16 6:18 PM

Got mine this morning.

It is designed to shred if removed, same as the German umlautplackette. Having had two replacement windscreens to date on our present van (so now needing my third German "sticker"), I'd quite like to stick these to something that can be removed from the screen (yes, I know they are carefully designed to prevent removal and possible transfer between vehicles, but I'm only visiting, and getting a replacement is an unwelcome faff!).

One used to be able to get a simple, transparent, circular, clear plastic tax disc holder that merely relied on the adhesion of the plastic to the screen, and so was peelable. Had a prowl around Halfords this PM and (inevitably, in the absence of tax discs), couldn't find anything of the kind. Anyone got any ideas?

Doesn't want to be something that relies on glue, as it will probably not peel. Then, stick the low emissions sticker/s to the peelable plastic, allowing it/them to be transferred onto a new screen if/when necessary.

Apologies for talking to myself in public, but from some of the posts above this may be useful. I think I have found a workaround to the replacement windscreen problem.

I bought, off a web supplier (there were several selling similar), a piece of transparent PVC, sold as a camping tablecloth. The cost was about half that of the Crit'Air sticker.

This is a similar material to than used for tax disc holders (the ones described above, that were merely a disc of clear PVC that you planted your tax disc centrally within, and then pressed onto the windscreen) though somewhat thicker. The natural tackiness of the PVC was sufficient to hold it in place, and the same is true of the tablecloth materiel.

I stuck the Crit'Air sticker onto the PVC, then cut carefully round it so that no PVC extended beyond the sticker, and then pressed the PVC onto the windscreen with a soft cloth so that all air bubbles were removed. This was done about a week after the sticker arrived, and it is still there nearly four weeks later, shows no sign of coming away, and is perfectly legible from outside.

I also have enough of the PVC left to cope with about 50 more stickers! Time will tell if the sticker glue causes the PVC to shrink or become brittle but, failing that, I think it will be possible to simply peel off the sticker with the PVC, clean up the PVC, and transfer both to the new windscreen if/when the time comes. Replacement Umweltplackette next!

Thanks for the tip and instructions. Works a treat.

in hindsight i would not worry about one i have just returned from 9 weeks touring france spain and portugal and the only other sticker i saw was on a van from northampton none of the french vans had them

We got back from our early tour of France last week and I can report back that the only Crit-Air disk we saw in the whole of our holiday down to the border with Spain was the one on our MH - C'est la vie !

Alan

Hi Brian,

Since joining this forum several months ago I frequently read your interesting posts, some of which have been in response to my own questions.

I have now come across a new new topic (well new for me) which features the possible requirement of windscreen stickers in certain European countries and cities. I am planning a trip to Tuscany in September and have picked up on the fact that you have traveled this route before, with that in mind perhaps you could share your knowledge and suggestions regarding best route from Roscoff and my windscreen sticker question.

Could these stickers relate to pre-paid toll booth tags etc? I have often wondered if such a thing exists for motor home travel abroad, rather than continually stopping to find the correct coinage.

Regards

RFC7

Hi Brian,

Since joining this forum several months ago I frequently read your interesting posts, some of which have been in response to my own questions.

I have now come across a new new topic (well new for me) which features the possible requirement of windscreen stickers in certain European countries and cities. I am planning a trip to Tuscany in September and have picked up on the fact that you have traveled this route before, with that in mind perhaps you could share your knowledge and suggestions regarding best route from Roscoff and my windscreen sticker question.

Could these stickers relate to pre-paid toll booth tags etc? I have often wondered if such a thing exists for motor home travel abroad, rather than continually stopping to find the correct coinage.

Regards

RFC7

'Afraid this will be a bit of a "if I wanted to get there, I wouldn't start from here", reply! :-)

First the windscreen stickers. They are to signify that a vehicle has the appropriate exhaust emissions characteristics for admission to city low emissions zones. No more.

There is a UK branch of SANEF (Société des Autoroutes du Nord Est de la France), the French Autoroutes operator, from which you can buy a windscreen toll tag - details here: http://tinyurl.com/opvsg3l You will also find a link to an explanation of the French Crit' Air sticker requirement. You can open an account and obtain the tag from them, after which you can use the automated telepeage autoroute barriers.

I have not travelled to Tuscany via Roscoff and, were I doing so I would not use the very expensive French Autoroutes, though I would use Italian Autostradae - mainly because they are reasonably priced but also because in much of Italy they are the only way to cover long distances and remain sane! :-)

I think my route would go something like Roscoff, Rennes, Nantes, Poitiers, Montlucon, Clermont-Ferrand, Avignon, and Digne, to Nice, where I think I'd switch to the A10/A7/A12/A11 round Genoa to Lucca and Florence (mainly because the coastal road from Nice to Genoa is insane!). That is assuming the bit of Tuscany you wish to get to is Florence!

The easiest method to install the Critair sticker is to utilise the built in method of fixing to a vehicle with no windscreen as described in the stickers accompanying narrative. Then you can either cut of the remaining sticky part and put it into an old type tax disc holder, as I have done, or you can use the sticky portion to attach the disc to the screen and in the event of you changing the windscreen remove or cut round the circle of the sticker. Simples!

Bas

• 2 weeks later...
Zydeco Joe - 2017-07-17 3:56 PM

Just this morning ordered a Crit'Air sticker. Will post on here when it arrives, hope its not a long wait as we are off mid August B-) .

This morning our sticker arrived so it has took 14 days and that is in what is the height of the season plus the fact that we all know France is close this time of year LOL. B-) B-) B-)

• 3 months later...

In the application procedure the “Light commercial vehicles” category relates to vehicles with a maximum overall weight exceeding 3500kg (>3.5t)

As your motorhome is UK-registered in the PLG VED class (presumably) its maximum overall weight does not exceed 3500kg, so you should choose the “Private cars” category.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-02 8:19 AM

In the application procedure the “Light commercial vehicles” category relates to vehicles with a maximum overall weight exceeding 3500kg (>3.5t)

As your motorhome is UK-registered in the PLG VED class (presumably) its maximum overall weight does not exceed 3500kg, so you should choose the “Private cars” category.

Thanks Derek. Was a bit confused.com as on their form it states (<3.5t) not (>3.5t) for Light Commercial vehicles, that's why I had to ask the question.

I've received my Sticker nine days after applying.

The slight problem, which I emailed them about immediately after they sent me a confirmation email, was that the first two letters of my MH registration are shown as 'EX' - when they should be 'FX'.

Their response, within 5 minutes of me first applying, was - "tough luck, you'll have to reapply"

So, I've got a spare Sticker with the correct numbers - but not necessarily in the right order

Eric Morecambe might well have been amused.

Still, it's only €4.80 isn't it?

Randonneur

That’s odd, as it says "“Light commercial vehicles(>3,5t)” when I looked this morning.

It’s somewhat clearer on the french-language version of the application ‘form’ as private cars as defined as Category M1, whereas light utility vehicles are defined as Category N1. Motor-caravans fall into the M1 category (or most do!)

Derek Uzzell - 2017-11-02 11:36 AM

Randonneur

That’s odd, as it says "“Light commercial vehicles(>3,5t)” when I looked this morning.

It’s somewhat clearer on the french-language version of the application ‘form’ as private cars as defined as Category M1, whereas light utility vehicles are defined as Category N1. Motor-caravans fall into the M1 category (or most do!)

This is the link I used in English: http://tinyurl.com/opvsg3l

Just tried that link again and the website has changed from yesterday. It was a link Brian Kirby put on that I followed.

2017-11-02.thumb.png.d1ee8d5f63c0f553095c664d2db4889d.png

Archived