Advice for Camper Van Virgin!

MidLifeCrisis

Hello all

I'm planning to travel round France, Italy and Greece for up to six months and am looking for advice on the best vehicle to go for.

I've driven a van before and I've done a lot of driving on the right, but have absolutely no mechanical knowledge so will be taking out good breakdown cover.

Ideally, I'd like two berth (it's just me and the dog), a fridge, loo and shower..........

I'd be grateful for any recommendations!

Thanks in advance

Hi Welcome to the forum

You are only asking for the standard equipment , so no problem

However people would need to know your budget, and it helps to know the area you live in, so they could recommend places to look for a MH

Layout of van, probably not an issue for one and a dog. Unless you want a garage to use as a kennel?

Probably not, as I guess he/she would be happy to sit with you up front?

More details and the suggestions will come

PJay

Hi, go to any local dealer you can find and sit in as many vans as you can to get a feel of what you like and think you need. Have a price level you are happy to pay out. Most MH's are build on Fiat and all vans are good for 200000 miles at least and most are only clocking up 3000 to 7000 a year hence you will find many low mileage ones out there. Breakdown cover is always a good idea.

Don't buy on first visit..........

Some people will say buy this one or that one usually as that's the one they have and they are experts LOL.

All makes have good ones and sadly bad examples but that's the way it is.

Me I have over the last 5 years had over 100 weeks over the channel and see all sorts of vans from brand new to 25 years old, from a couple of grand to 150000. You pays yer money etc.

My van is a 2 berth under 6 meters long for 2 people no dog and it works fine for us. British built on a Fiat 12 years old. Doing 10000 a year over the 5 years average MPG around 30 at on motorways etc at 60mph.

Have fun.

An almost impossible answer here, what suits one person, another dislikes. I'm of the opinion this is a get away from it all exercise in which almost anything will do.

Why not spend this summer around the UK, you will have the opportunity to test all your ideas and be in a position to change them and the van as required.

Consider a make that can be repaired easily in a strange country. Read all the dog laws and medical problems well. Remember no person should travel without a spade.

Thanks all - I hadn't considered a spade!

Budget is around £6000, which seems to throw up a lot of Talbot vehicles and not much else. Could go a bit higher as the intention is to sell at the end of the trip. I've rented my house out for a fixed six months, will be jacking in the job next month........

There is a camper sales place in Gosport, that have older vans. Also one on the A32 going out of Fareham

Sorry I can't remember the names.

We will probably be selling ours later this year, not a lot of good to you at the moment.

Make sure you get a reliable engine at that the age you will get for your money.

You don't say if going over the water, or staying in UK?

As you can see, we live in Hampshire, so if we can be of any help, please PM me

Will be glad to help ,We have been vanners for 11 years now, but do spend the time over in europe

PJay

Guest pelmetman
Will86 - 2017-03-23 3:32 PM

A spade is the most useful item invented for travellers. Sharpen one side and use to cut wood, serrate the opposite side and use as a saw (protect the edges).

Make a leather pouch for carriage.

Blimey Will I hope you've written a book about your life? B-) ........

Guest pelmetman
MidLifeCrisis - 2017-03-23 8:56 AM

Thanks all - I hadn't considered a spade!

Budget is around £6000, which seems to throw up a lot of Talbot vehicles and not much else. Could go a bit higher as the intention is to sell at the end of the trip. I've rented my house out for a fixed six months, will be jacking in the job next month........

Well if its a proper mid life crisis :D ........then no need to buy a camper ;-) .......Just get a van in reasonable condition, a porta potty, a mattress, sleeping bag (best buy 2 just in case you get lucky or one needs a wash ;-) ), all the usual camping paraphernalia and a awning (deffo needed when its hot in Greece or Italy 8-) )......Plus the spade of course :-D ........

3000 quid should buy the lot......which will leave you with £3000 of beer tokens :-D ........

Hi, for your 6k budget I guess you will have to look around on ebay or gumtree.. I doubt if any dealer would have anything that low in price..but you just might be lucky..

at that price, it would be very old and might not be mot passable..unless it was a complete come on catch..

dont part with any money without inspecting the vehicle, checking paperwork, checking for possible stolen vehicle, and have proof of ownership from vendor. There are several scams advertised in varius places,, dont get caught.

rust buckets should be left well alone.

Where in hampshire are you. motorhome dealer at St leonards is near me on the a31.

Tonyg3nwl

The budget is tight to say the least so far as main stream dealers are concerned. Meridian Motorhomes at Bosham West Sussex may be worth a visit as they have a varied stock and are a helpful family firm and if nothing else may point you in the right direction or make you realise that a panel van with a mattress and a tent for sunnier climes may be the only viable answer!

In 1988 I had an earliesh mid life crisis and spent 3 months in Greece in a Type 2 VW and showering was outside with a container plus a submersible pump and a shower head.

And whatever you do please DO NOT fall for the eBay and similar scams. You know the ones, prce is too good to be true but sob sob story, family member ill or husband working out of the country and got to sell quickly no matter how low the price...

Well if it seems too good to be true then it will be too good to be true!

Caveat emptor - buyer beware!

Keith.

Auto trader have quiet a few sub £6000 vans. Some look very nice and clean. I would at that price buy from a registered trader, then you have some come back! diesel would be cheaper to run.

Must say was impressed as to what you can get for that amount of money.Small low profile, ideal for one, and easy to park, when touring around

PJay

MidLifeCrisis - 2017-03-24 12:56 PM

Once again, thanks everyone, particularly for the local recommendations and the, errr, spade advice! Female travelling alone so it may also be a useful weapon with that serrated edge! ;-)

MLC

have sent you a PM (look in inbox, at top of page)

PJay

Sorry to disagree, but some of you are talking balderdash! There are hundreds of older campers out there for under the OP's budget!

They just take a bit more hunting down. Dealers tend to keep their expensive stock at the front, but if you take a look behind the glitz you'll very often find the cheapies.

I have a 30 year-old Talbot Camelot which cost £2,500, had one lady owner, 47,000 miles and is in beautiful all round order. OK, I admit that not everyone wants to drive an old van, and that I fell in lucky in finding mine.

But if you don't mind being the poor relation among the multi-thousand pound behemoths, there are vans about to suit your budget.

Bear in mind also that an old, basic van is much easier for the out-of-the-way garage to repair in the wilds of rural Europe, as it won't be driven by computers.

You would also have access to the Retro Caravan Club GB, where we really know the meaning of fun!

Guest pelmetman
emmerson - 2017-03-26 7:18 PM

Sorry to disagree, but some of you are talking balderdash! There are hundreds of older campers out there for under the OP's budget!

They just take a bit more hunting down. Dealers tend to keep their expensive stock at the front, but if you take a look behind the glitz you'll very often find the cheapies.

I have a 30 year-old Talbot Camelot which cost £2,500, had one lady owner, 47,000 miles and is in beautiful all round order. OK, I admit that not everyone wants to drive an old van, and that I fell in lucky in finding mine.

But if you don't mind being the poor relation among the multi-thousand pound behemoths, there are vans about to suit your budget.

Bear in mind also that an old, basic van is much easier for the out-of-the-way garage to repair in the wilds of rural Europe, as it won't be driven by computers.

You would also have access to the Retro Caravan Club GB, where we really know the meaning of fun!

Trouble is the OP only has 6 months, and those kinda bargains are like hens teeth ;-) ........

Lucky you B-) .....

emmerson - 2017-03-26 7:18 PM

Being a lady on her own. I would think the most important thing would be a reliable engine!! She intends to live in it for 6 months

PJay

I also had an AutoHomes Camelot (like emmerson). Sold it in 2002 for £4000.

It served us well for 10 years. It was based on a Fiat Ducato 2 litre petrol engine. It was quite modern for it's time with toilet, shower, gas heating, water heating, onboard freshwater and grey tanks. However, gas locker would only take one 6Kg cylinder and rusting of the cab around the windscreen was an ongoing problem.

The OP mentions she'll be obtaining breakdown insurance. Just bear in mind that it is difficult to get this insurance if the vehicle is over 15 or 20 years old.

Best of luck with your search in the relatively short timeframe.

Archived