Mains Water Conection

potus4388

What are the advantages of connecting direct to the mains as against just keep topping the tank up with fresh water as and when if you are on a full service pitch.

Not sure I would be comfortable having mains water pressure in the system all the time and what happens when you open a tap does the van pump run anyway as you have activated the tap micro switches or do you switch pump off at the control panel (answered my own question I suppose) ?

At least if you have a pressure drop or heaven forbid a leak you can hear the pump cut in and investigate.

Brian K

American RVs are designed to allow mains water hook up and their campsite pitches mostly have a water supply as well as electrics (and a sewage connection for that matter) and their internal plumbing makes use of mains water pressure, via a pressure reducer.  There is of course a water pump and tank for us when not connected.

Using a combination of pressure reduction, some additional piping and fittings etc, it would be possible to attach a mains supply and by-pass your water pump and tank, so you could adapt a UK motorhome for use of direct mains water in the same way as a US RV if you wished.  The trend on UK campsites is for more campsite pitches to include a dedicated water tap and caravanners can already buy automated mains water connection kits o keep their Aquaroll full.  Some motorhomes have facilities for external water tanks so they could use the same sort of equipment.

Whether this would be a valuable feature for you depends largely on how you use your motorhome - some people cannot understand why others would want a TV with them when thye tour in a motorhome.

I know it is possible just wondered what are the advantages of a direct supply when you already have one on board .

Unlike a TV you either have one or not.

Does the OP have US background maybe as his user name is rather Presidential (POTUS ) ??

Brian K

BKen1 - 2017-04-17 1:28 PM... just wondered what are the advantages of a direct supply

Why wouldn't you want mains connected water in your residence rather than have to carry it or rig a hose periodically to get it into your tank?  Lots of people in the US clearly value it as a convenience, as do an increasing number of caravanners in UK - open your mind!

StuartO - 2017-04-17 3:26 PM
BKen1 - 2017-04-17 1:28 PM... just wondered what are the advantages of a direct supply

Why wouldn't you want mains connected water in your residence rather than have to carry it or rig a hose periodically to get it into your tank?  Lots of people in the US clearly value it as a convenience, as do an increasing number of caravanners in UK - open your mind!

Surely on a fully serviced pitch,as the OP mentioned, the water is right next to the van at least on the FS pitch sites Ive been on, so no need to carry water or rig up a hose every time ..just the once on arrival. So thats why I wondered what the advantages are ..just asking You could also have a look at this old thread on here http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-mains-water/40740/Brian K

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2017-04-17 2:43 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong as I've never been a tugger but when caravans are used on fully serviced pitches do they not use a ball valve arrangement to keep their external aquaroll full and not actually connect mains pressure to the caravans plumbing?

Using one of these...

http://www.aquaroll.com/shop/mains-adaptor/aquaroll-mains-adaptor

Keith.

Yep ;-) ..........and they always seem to be leaking when ever I've seen them *-) ........

Dunno whats wrong with leaving the hose connected each end and just turning on a tap every few days? :-S .........

Keithl - 2017-04-17 2:43 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong as I've never been a tugger but when caravans are used on fully serviced pitches do they not use a ball valve arrangement to keep their external aquaroll full and not actually connect mains pressure to the caravans plumbing?Using one of these...http://www.aquaroll.com/shop/mains-adaptor/aquaroll-mains-adaptorKeith.

Yes, that's correct - and some motorhomes are now equipped to use Aquarol-type tanks, possibly as an alternative to the internal tank.  I'm not aware of any UK system which connects reduced mains pressure direct to the water lines but that's also clearly something which could be done.

BKen1 - 2017-04-17 3:09 PM
StuartO - 2017-04-17 3:26 PM

Surely on a fully serviced pitch,as the OP mentioned, the water is right next to the van at least on the FS pitch sites Ive been on, so no need to carry water or rig up a hose every time ..just the once on arrival. So thats why I wondered what the advantages are ..just asking You could also have a look at this old thread on here http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-mains-water/40740/ Brian K

That may suit you (and me) but I can see some people want to stay on a site for quite a while and wanting an automated system.  And as you say, the OP could search for older threads on this subject, such as the one you found.

And were you "just asking"?  The OP asked a technical question and I answered it, for the OP's benefit.  Personally I don't think it's all that helpful when people chip in with what amount to statements of opinion about whether they think the OP is barking up the wrong tree because sometimes they are just taking an opportunity to try to be a smart-arse, but of course freedom of speech does entitle them to do that if they wish!  Have a nice day.

I've used a caravan mains adaptor and, whilst they are very good, the pressure does tend to separate the hose from the adaptor from time to time.

The solution here, avoiding a major pipework installation, is to attach a hose to the campsite tap and the other end to a Fiamma (other makes are available) water filler cap and, as said before, turn on the mains tap every other day. Or, install an in-line tap at the motorhome end of the hose. That would be the next best thing to mains water with little expense.

StuartO That may suit you (and me) but I can see some people want to stay on a site for quite a while and wanting an automated system.  And as you say, the OP could search for older threads on this subject, such as the one you found.

And were you "just asking"?  The OP asked a technical question and I answered it, for the OP's benefit.  Personally I don't think it's all that helpful when people chip in with what amount to statements of opinion about whether they think the OP is barking up the wrong tree because sometimes they are just taking an opportunity to try to be a smart-arse, but of course freedom of speech does entitle them to do that if they wish!  Have a nice day.

You need to calm down ...it was a simple question ,but will check out with you before I chip in again wouldnt want to look like a smart arse now would IThis is the correct linkhttp://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-mains-water/40740/

BKen1 - 2017-04-17 4:13 PM You need to calm down ...

And there was me thinking I'd merely penned a tactful and inoffensive hint to a relatively new contributer who was so determined to score his point that he couldn't stop himself repeating it unnecessarily.  It didn't feel like I was aroused or being challenging at all!

StuartO - 2017-04-17 6:44 PM
BKen1 - 2017-04-17 4:13 PM You need to calm down ...

And there was me thinking I'd merely penned a tactful and inoffensive hint to a relatively new contributer who was so determined to score his point that he couldn't stop himself repeating it unnecessarily.  It didn't feel like I was aroused or being challenging at all!

Bored Now ..will let this thread continue without this bickering. PS repeated the link as the first one didnt work.

When I purchased our Autotrail Tracker FB it did not have a mains pressure water connection. The dealer fitted one with a pressure reducer. It has worked faultlessly for two & a half years. We generally park on serviced sites (town water, EHU and grey water drain). We always fill the tank prior to departure from home to ensure water is available when we free camp at some locations. Provision of mains pressure water is normal for caravan parks in Aust. Could be that we have copied the US in that regard, however for black water you need to go to one central dump point unlike the US. I have never considered why we connect to mains water other than to not run out of water.cheers,

Geeco - 2017-04-18 4:04 AMI have never considered why we connect to mains water other than to not run out of water.cheers,

It's not for taking lots of showers then - and Aussie blokes haven't made a mad rush for their femminine side just yet? :-D

crocs - 2017-04-17 3:51 PM

The solution here, avoiding a major pipework installation, is to attach a hose to the campsite tap and the other end to a Fiamma (other makes are available) water filler cap and, as said before, turn on the mains tap every other day. Or, install an in-line tap at the motorhome end of the hose. That would be the next best thing to mains water with little expense.

Yep, that'd be my approach...

(and if going outside to operate the tap was still too much of a chore, then maybe even look at using a remotely controlled, solenoid operated valve?...)

Re: BKen1 posts...

I'd agree with what he asked and the points he raised, as I think it's sometimes helpful to question the real-world reasons for the particular "mod/solution" being sort....

'Not saying it's the case with the OP but it's not unusual for some MHers to seek out *long winded and overly complicated "solutions" to problems that aren't really there...

(*although by and large they do tend to concern fettling about with battery/charger/controller/solar panel set-ups..and other associated "must have" gadgetry .).

As they say, KISS ;-)

BKen1 - 2017-04-17 4:13 PM
StuartO That may suit you (and me) but I can see some people want to stay on a site for quite a while and wanting an automated system.  And as you say, the OP could search for older threads on this subject, such as the one you found.

You need to calm down ...it was a simple question ,but will check out with you before I chip in again wouldnt want to look like a smart arse now would IThis is the correct linkhttp://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Motorhome-mains-water/40740/
Don't worry Bken1 there's only one person on this thread making himself look like a smart arse and it's not you. I'm sure he wouldn't talk to you with that attitude in person.

Archived