Wet bottom

baden87

Help ,I was getting something from under the rear seat (L shaped rear ) and my handbooks were a little damp , so out comes the trusted Damp meter and yikes I'm getting some high readings under the rear end (between 29%and 33% ) and I want to catch this and stop it before it gets worse

That doesn't necessarily mean you have water ingress. In an under seat area it can be condensation if the cushions have not be raised to allow air circulation in storage. But it does require investigation.

Lift the cushions to allow full ventilation. Open all the blinds to let in the Sun to warm the vehicle then retake your readings in 5 days time.

Record your readings each time so you have exact values to refer to later.

Hi, having had similar problems some time ago on my stargazer, different layout to you, but rear end suffered like you.

Various work carried out by marquis originally, and efforts myself with extra underseal etc, have

all helped.

Recent mot advised problem with stop lights, so investigation revealed the the rubber sealing ring around the lights was not correctly fitted, leading to possible ingress or water

I removed side lights, stoplights and indicators, and found 3 out of the six had similar problems, so reseated them all..

I cant be sure that that was definitely an entry point, but time will tell.

Can I suggest you consider it as a possible trouble point worth investigate

Tonyg3nwl

Absolutely consider it a priority , it has to found early so not create a bigger problem down the line ,I shall be further investigate until I have found the source , some areas where it is reading high is around the pump are , and again where the back wall meets the floor

Is your wet bottom below a window by any chance? If so I would suspect the sealing of the window rubber to the body.

I had a damp patch below the rear window in our AT but could not find any apparent reason. I removed the window and found the sealant had dried out around one top corner and was leaking. The water was running down inside the rear panel and only appearing at floor level.

Keith.

Check the underside on the outside where the rear wall meets the floor section. This is where the dampness was coming from on my last van (a Burstner). According to the company who repaired it, it is not uncommon.

at the back of the van.

It may feel wet or even crumbly to the touch. On mine, it manifested itself inside the garage area.

Hi Paul,

Whilst it's not exactly good news at least it's a lot easier to fix than an external leak.

Is the pump leaking from the joint or has the body cracked? A couple of years ago I thought I had drained down thoroughly but still found the pump body had cracked after the winter.

Keith.

Paul,

Nick has posted many times on throttle bodies, have a read through some of these recent posts...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=throttle+body&author=euroserv&days=365&Submit=Search

Keith.

PS You can email him by clicking the 'MAIL' button below his user name on any of his threads.

Archived