Northern Germany and Northern Poland - on the way to the Baltics.

There is the well known Hill of Crosses in Lithuania - but maybe lesser known and possibly more impressive is the Polish Hill of Crosses at Swieta Woda- both worth a visit.

The Curonion Spit in Lithuania is a beautiful place to visit, you can take the motorhome over on a ferry of go by bike or foot on a short trip. Miles of cycle paths and very windy beaches.

We also visited the Plokstine Nuclear Missile in Lithuania base - formerly it housed nuclear weapons, now you are allowed to tour the facility as its preserved as a museu.

That's just a few, we found so many places of interest in Poland and the Baltics, its worth doing some internet searches relating to your interests. We spent over a month in Poland and didn't see half of the things we wanted - the Baltics similarly we could have stayed for another month just to fit everything in.

Have a wonderful trip

Charles,

I'm headed in exactly the same direction too....even the same destination! It will be my first time in the Baltics and plan to do all three and, if time allows, a few days in Ukraine on the return.

I've been many times in Germany and all of Poland so well familiar and some parts i return to. Much depends on what you want to see? My major interest in ww2 history which i realise is not everyones 'cup of tea' but i've visited many sites over the years. There are numerous in both Poland and Germany and one i'd recommend a visit to is the Wolfschanze, more commonly known as Wolfs Lair which was Hitlers bunker compound and scene of the failed Stauffenberg bomb plot. The location is Gierloz which is just a few miles from Ketrzyn in Poland. It's only a few miles from there to the Lithuanian border and is enroute. It's fairly well signed but this get's you right to the entrance....N54° 04' 44.00" E21° 29' 34.93" If the weather is hot, i'd advise wearing trousers and long sleeves as it's situated in a dense forest area surrounded by swamp so midge spray is useful!

Another 'must see' though slightly off route is a visit to Peenemunde where von Braun developed and built the V1 flying bomb and V2 rocket. That's north Germany.....well north as you are right on the Baltic sea. The site is huge and you will need at least a day to see most of it. I've been back there three times. Plenty of places to park up overnight and wild camp though, plus as the factory is a major tourist attraction there places nearby you can get a meal or snack. It's not far from Peenemunde to the Polish border.

Berlin is a city i keep returning to.....and i'm no city lover! But i like the pace of life there, easy to get around using the S-Bahn, but it's a large city and you won't ever see all in one day. If you do stop off there i'd highly recommend a city walk tour. The guides are often University students doing History so well informed and also know the best way to get around to sites of interest. The guides stand around near the Brandenburg Gate and many offer a first short tour free just to give you a taste. That's what i took and enjoyed that much, i booked a full tour with the same guy for the following day which cost about €10 and worth every euro! It lasted around three hours and everyone tipped him good money at the end because he did a brilliant job. Just don't expect to see ALL of Berlin in a day though because it's impossible.

Hi

I have found this thread very useful cos we are off to Poland in 10 days. Plan on stopping at Potsdam/. Berlin cos I like the city then heading toward Gdansk before heading sout Warsaw and Krakov.

I have been researching on line plus lonely planet guide. The info on campsites seems sparse. The CMC have a few sites, acsi have some online but difficult to judge quality, and looked at the langdale associates website but their dat/experience is 2010. Also looked at magbaz but only ltd number of sites mentioned.

sooooo are their any other sources or can anybody recommend campsites?

Peter

Hi peter

A good website for Polish campsites is( www.pfcc.eu ) which can be read in english.

If you re going to Gdansk there is a decent campsite at Sopot a very nice resort a short train ride from Gdansk. The campsite is Camping Metropole and we have stayed there a couple of times.

There are several campsites in the wonderful city of Krakow we have stayed at Kemping Clepardia (www.clepardia.com.pl) a very well run site with easy bus access to the city centre a short walk away, there is also a good supermarket opposite the bus stop. You will be made very welcome in Poland they are mostly lovely people and English is widely spoken especially by the young.

peterjl - 2017-05-01 6:59 PM

Hi

I have found this thread very useful cos we are off to Poland in 10 days. Plan on stopping at Potsdam/. Berlin cos I like the city then heading toward Gdansk before heading sout Warsaw and Krakov.

I have been researching on line plus lonely planet guide. The info on campsites seems sparse. The CMC have a few sites, acsi have some online but difficult to judge quality, and looked at the langdale associates website but their dat/experience is 2010. Also looked at magbaz but only ltd number of sites mentioned.

sooooo are their any other sources or can anybody recommend campsites?

Peter

The one i use at Krakov is Camping Korona N53° 34' 36.1" E16° 13' 11.4" The site itself is nicely laid out, decent shower block etc and also has a small onsite snack bar which does decent meals in the evening.

Another favourite of mine is at Znin, a small town which sits between two large lakes. The campsite itself is pretty basic stuff with no snack bar or restaurant, but the town centre is only a 10 minute walk away with many excellent Restaurants and i used an outdoor one in the town square. All fresh cooked food, a few beers and an espresso....rarely cost any more than a tenner! Nice steam railway there too which is worth taking a trip on as they have a steam museum a few miles up the line. Znin campsite N52° 50' 30" E17° 43' 31.6"

I've always found ACSI pretty good though be aware, the book is extremely limited. The DVD is way way better listing thousands of campsites throughout Europe.......BUT, they no longer produce them and the last available were 2016. They come complete with mapping for all countries and details of every campsite including gps coordinates.

I have an original 2016. PM me if you want a copy.

mikethebike - 2017-05-01 7:43 PM

A good website for Polish campsites is( www.pfcc.eu ) which can be read in english.

That's a good website Mike. Being a fan of hard mapping i might just treat myself to one of their maps even though i already have loads! (lol)

You will be made very welcome in Poland they are mostly lovely people and English is widely spoken especially by the young.

Well said....i couldn't agree more with this. I've been touring Poland some years now and there's not many places left i've not seen but i just keep going back! Even my bottled gas is Polish!! :D

Fantastic country and as you say, lovely people.

Thank you for the info, really useful

Re ACSI dvd, they have been replaced by an app which I have downloaded. The Eastern Europe info is 99p so I will download and check out.

I use the acsi books but the web info on Eastern Europe is not helpful on quality hence my request for recommendations.

Peter

Hi peter

While you are in krakow I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the salt mines at Wieliczka, its a short drive away but well worth the trip. Also you may be interested in visiting Auschwitz, a very sobering and sad experience but I feel it has to be done.

Bulletguy. I am somewhat biased, my daughter-in-law is Polish from Sopot near Gdansk. She and her family are delightful people and my son is a very lucky man as she is quite beautiful.

peterjl - 2017-05-02 9:21 AM

Thank you for the info, really useful

Re ACSI dvd, they have been replaced by an app which I have downloaded. The Eastern Europe info is 99p so I will download and check out.

I use the acsi books but the web info on Eastern Europe is not helpful on quality hence my request for recommendations.

Peter

Yes i knew about the app Peter which are fine for smartphone users, but i'm not! I have a 'normal' mobile.....the type that people ignore so it's totally thief proof!! Also, even if i has a smartphone i very much doubt i could cope with looking at a map on a small screen and constantly flicking the thing to find a road!

mikethebike - 2017-05-02 9:44 AM

Bulletguy. I am somewhat biased, my daughter-in-law is Polish from Sopot near Gdansk. She and her family are delightful people and my son is a very lucky man as she is quite beautiful.

I confess to having a weakness for Polish girls! I drink lots of espresso so pavement coffee bars are a big draw for me plus they have the added bonus of allowing me to indulge my other pastime......perving over the girls walking by! :D They are simply stunning! 8-)

One year i was at a restaurant, just finished my meal, not driving the following day so relaxing with a beer when this couple came and sat opposite me. Sheesh.....i nearly had a heart do! Gorgeous girl in red tight fitting dress......very very short, stunning long legs with skyscraper Louboutins......and not wearing much else!! She wasn't coy about people looking either so whilst i was trying to muster up courage to ask if i could take a photo of her.....i went through a few beers too many and opted to enjoy the 'scenery' instead!

A couple of Polish lads had seen me looking and had a good laugh after she'd gone and said to me "we are used to it....we see girls like her all the time". I told them, "yes but i'm old enough to be her Grandfather never mind her father" and one of the lads quipped, "if you were, she'd finish you off"!!! (lol)(lol)

Lovely people......can't wait to be back there in a few weeks time.

• 1 month later...
Charles Chodkowski - 2017-04-30 12:19 PM

In two weeks time we are leaving for a eight week journey to the Baltic States and back, our route is taking us via Berlin and Warsaw and onto the Baltics do any readers have recommendations for "must see" stop-overs on the way?

Charles

I was wondering how you went on with your Baltic trip and if had enough time to do all?

I'm currently in Latvia enroute to Estonia. Bit disappointed with Lithuania and the lack of roadside rest stops/coffee bars amazed me. Drove 170ml today, mostly major roads, and saw not one.

On a very nice site now though with superb Restaurant and bar. Only bummer is the damn weather.....on/off/on/off rain all day.

Archived