How to improve security on Van doors?

sniffy

I've got an 18 year old van. The door locks (driver and passenger) are not central locking and have the lever (which shows if the door is locked or unlocked) conveniently located so that it can be easily accessed by someone breaking the window. Does anyone know of a security device designed to protect this lever? Actually, it's not really a lever, I suppose but hopefully you'll know what I mean!

I know there are various ways of securing these doors when the van is occupied ranging from a handy baseball bat to strapping the doors together but I'm looking for something to use when the van is unattended.

Thanks

sniffy

Sniffy,

Go on and give us a clue, you say van is 18 years old but what is it? ie Ducato, Transit, Talbot, etc...

Keith.

PS A photo of said handle would be even better, possibly stock photo courtesy of Google???

Depending on the model you may be able to unscrew and remove the pull button/lever, just leaving the threaded rod so there is nothing to get a grip on if trying to pull it up with a coat hanger wire poked around the door?

I fitted microswitches to my door handles so pulling the handles sets off the alarm, irrespective of whether or not the door is locked, and BEFORE the thief has smashed his way in.

814876574_X2.50doorswitch.thumb.jpg.d55d4e9ef79198e20a7e64ed0860878b.jpg

Crocs - isn't that only useable if you are in the van unless you exit by the habitation door? The trouble with that is that the habitation door is even less secure that the cab doors unless it is also secured from the inside :'(

sniffy

Thanks for the info Sniffy,

If you remove them completely then you may not be able to lock the door but I remember a tip from many years ago when these buttons where commonplace which basically involved shortening the buttons a fair amount then gluing a 'tube' or 'spacer' onto the door around them so when unlocked they stood proud of the tube but when locked they where flush to the top so nothing protruding to grip and unlock. I hope that makes sense.

Keith.

We have fitted HeoSafe door locks from Out Door Bits. These can be locked while in the van (at Night) , and can only be opened from inside.

The Caravan section door, which as stated is the most vulnerable, we Have a Fiamma Handle that folds over the door as well as acting as a handle.

The windows will always be the most easy place to get in a van!!

PJay

sniffy - 2017-06-02 11:55 AM

Crocs - isn't that only useable if you are in the van unless you exit by the habitation door? The trouble with that is that the habitation door is even less secure that the cab doors unless it is also secured from the inside :'(

sniffy

Yes, you would exit by the habitation door for which there are other security devices available. If you're in the van, a baseball bat gets my vote >:-)

Mag&Hal - 2017-06-03 12:22 PM

We fitted heosafe locks. The ones for your model I suggest are like these @ £137 off ebay.

YES the ones we have. Well worth the money, as you can lock them at night from inside. My Oh fitted them himself

PJay

sniffy - 2017-06-06 5:05 PM

However, it looks to me that these are only useable from inside unless exiting from the habitation door so sadly they don't seem to be what I want - shame. :-(

sniffy

YES that is the case. What is the problem with exiting from the hab door? We always do, easier for me, as I have knee problem, and have to use a stool as a step to enter through cab doors. Our hab door has a handle that secures it, as well as we have added a lockable from both in and out lock to it. which overlaps the door. Have to drill through van wall , but extra secure at night. Except for the windows, our van is like "fort Knox". My OH has a "thing" about locking and bolting everything in site!!

PJay

Archived