How does an electric hook up work?

BML

I have just replaced my leisure battery which I assumed was charged but just to make sure I connected it up to my home mains electricity. I then checked it with a Multimetre and its shoed 12.3. Does that look right and if not what should it show.

A supplementary question. I thought that an electric hook up gave a trickle charge to both batteries. Is that correct?

I think the voltage at 12.3 is telling you that the charger is not working, and what you are seeing is the voltage of a close to flat battery - probably the voltage it was at when supplied.

You describe attaching the multimeter with mains connected, so you should be seeing 14V or over, depending on the charger and the type of battery it is set to charge. But, is the charger actually switched on? ;-)

Final thought is that there is usually a fuse at, or close by, the + terminal of the leisure battery. Have you checked that this is intact and, if blown, replaced with the same Amperage / type. (Suggest you disconnect mains before doing this, just as a precaution) If the fuse is blown, that could be all the problem is.

Re charging both habitation and starter batteries, you'll need to state what charger is installed on your van, as some do, and some don't, and some can be manually switched to charge either battery. It might help if you said what van you have (make, model, and age), as it is possible someone will have a similar - even identical - van and will be able to offer advice based on fully relevant experience.

Brian Kirby - 2017-06-06 6:29 PM

It might help if you said what van you have (make, model, and age), as it is possible someone will have a similar - even identical - van and will be able to offer advice based on fully relevant experience.

From an earlier post...

BML - 2017-05-28 11:07 PM

My motor home is an Autosleeper Polensa 2002...

But I don't know what charger or control panel that would have :-(

Few 'new' batteries are fully charged, typically around 75% from our experience, but depends on the battery and where you purchased it from.

It is a good idea to charge it up as soon as you get it for around 48hours minimum.

12.3v seems very low for a new battery, but that all assumes you have replaced the old battery with a new one.

Archived