Who is right?

John52

nowtelse2do - 2017-06-28 1:42 PM

The Queen's family made a deal over 300 years ago to give the country to the people without violence and got a long term pension as a result, and a walk on part in the pomp and circumstance that is our unwritten constitution. It isn't perfect but its been a damn sight more stable than any other democracy you care to name for a very long time.

Dave

So the unelected head of state uses her armed forces to demand money with menaces from the people who pay for them.

And you call that a stable democracy *-)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
John52 - 2017-07-01 8:01 AM

Well from a purely selfish point of view I'm doing alright too.

But a lot of people aren't :-(

But that'd be down to our elected government though, wouldn't it..not the Royals or the House of Lords

..and if the Royals and the HoLs disappeared tomorrow, I very much doubt that all of the monies they had been receiving would then just get distributed to worthy causes.... :-S

John52 - 2017-06-30 7:33 AM......................So the unelected head of state uses her armed forces to demand money with menaces from the people who pay for them.

How do you reason that, John? What "menaces" does the Queen use involving use of "her" armed forces? Or have I misunderstood?

Brian Kirby - 2017-07-01 11:56 AM

John52 - 2017-06-30 7:33 AM......................So the unelected head of state uses her armed forces to demand money with menaces from the people who pay for them.

How do you reason that, John? What "menaces" does the Queen use involving use of "her" armed forces? Or have I misunderstood?

It's probably something that Queen Elizabeth the first did Brian.

John holds grudges.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2017-06-29 11:58 AM

pelmetman - 2017-06-28 8:48 PM

So how do you choose who to vote for Malc?...... (?) ......

I always try to go for the " least worst " option.

( That's why I voted remain )

;-)

How do you know its the least worse option? ;-) ..........

According to the Remoaner experts we should be in deep doo doo by now *-) .........

Yet our builders are working weekends in order to keep up with the volume of work :D ......

......and now the Sainted Theresa is going on a public sector spending spree 8-) ........

Maybe my Navy pension will get a boost B-) ......

nowtelse2do - 2017-06-28 1:42 PM

The Queen's family made a deal over 300 years ago to give the country to the people without violence and got a long term pension as a result, and a walk on part in the pomp and circumstance

Dave

(Its a lot more than that actually as she retains the right to veto the elected Parliament, and they only have the power to increase her 'pension' , not reduce it. The Elected prime minister is encouraged to go along with this because of the extensive power the Unelected monarch gives the Elected prime minister under the Royal Prerogative)

If thats not demanding money with menaces, what is?

pelmetman - 2017-07-02 8:04 AM

;-)

According to the Remoaner experts we should be in deep doo doo by now *-) .........

You still keep referring to the k-rap that both sides spouted before the referendum - and seem to be under the impression that we have left the EU.

I take a longer view.

I don't " know" what the future holds ( and nor does anyone else ) but I'm guessing that our quality of life will continue to decline - possibly faster after we have left.

:-(

malc d - 2017-07-03 10:49 AM

;-)

You still keep referring to the k-rap that both sides spouted before the referendum - and seem to be under the impression that we have left the EU.

I take a longer view.

I don't " know" what the future holds ( and nor does anyone else ) but I'm guessing that our quality of life will continue to decline - possibly faster after we have left.

I believe you are right Malc. The "Divorce" settlement is spiralling into billions and will have to be paid. The naive and easily fooled fob that off with "but look at what we will save", as though the EU is going to hand UK a pot of gold! Unfortunately everyone is going to be hit by increased costs/taxes.

I still believe we are "better together" and running away from the EU is not the answer. Some seem to have treated the referendum as a bit of 'exciting fun' and are still incapable of taking the matter seriously.

During this trip i've met many EU folk, mainly Dutch, German and Polish, and whilst all are curious about the current political state in UK, not one person has expressed a desire for their country to follow UK.

Article in the FT (titled Cake and Eat it) showing Britain's negotiators have already recognized we can't have restrictions on freedom of movement, reduced budget contributions and free trade..

Car manufacturers have realized it too because investment in UK plants has plummeted since the Brexit vote.

Question is when will it dawn on the Brexit voters who have been led to believe otherwise :-S

Bulletguy - 2017-07-03 12:05 PM

;-)

I take a longer view.

I believe you are right Malc. The "Divorce" settlement is spiralling into billions and will have to be paid. The naive and easily fooled fob that off with "but look at what we will save", as though the EU is going to hand UK a pot of gold! Unfortunately everyone is going to be hit by increased costs/taxes.

I still believe we are "better together" and running away from the EU is not the answer. Some seem to have treated the referendum as a bit of 'exciting fun' and are still incapable of taking the matter seriously.

During this trip i've met many EU folk, mainly Dutch, German and Polish, and whilst all are curious about the current political state in UK, not one person has expressed a desire for their country to follow UK.

If your keyboard warrior name calling manner carries on in the real world in real face to face discussions about Brexit then I aren't surprised you've not met any "EU folk" who would care to leave the club ... They are probably too scared to express their true feelings when confronted with a frothing at the mouth angry old fella like yaself ... Prolly scarred em for life

John52 - 2017-07-03 1:07 PM

Article in the FT (titled Cake and Eat it) showing Britain's negotiators have already recognized we can't have restrictions on freedom of movement, reduced budget contributions and free trade..

Car manufacturers have realized it too because investment in UK plants has plummeted since the Brexit vote.

Question is when will it dawn on the Brexit voters who have been led to believe otherwise :-S

Never......they will continue to remain in a permanent haze of denial.

antony1969 - 2017-07-03 2:46 PM

If your keyboard warrior name calling manner carries on in the real world in real face to face discussions about Brexit then I aren't surprised you've not met any "EU folk" who would care to leave the club ... They are probably too scared to express their true feelings when confronted with a frothing at the mouth angry old fella like yaself ... Prolly scarred em for life

"Frothing at the mouth name calling keyboard warrior"?? (lol)

You should stop looking at yourself in that mirror matey.

Guest pelmetman

So you admit it was declining before ;-) ........have you decided why it was declining? :-| .......

pelmetman - 2017-07-04 9:14 PM

So you admit it was declining before ;-) ........have you decided why it was declining? :-| .......

Britain was declining long before it joined the EU.

Most, if not all other countries in the EU are not declining.

For a country to prosper, people need to feel they have a fair chance of success through their ability and effort. The more unelected hereditary elites we have (and what other EU country has more than Britain/) the less likely people are to feel that way.. The most prosperous (Germany) got rid of their parasites after WW2 and started with a clean sheet.

John52 - 2017-07-05 9:16 AM

Britain was declining long before it joined the EU.

Most, if not all other countries in the EU are not declining.

For a country to prosper, people need to feel they have a fair chance of success through their ability and effort. The more unelected hereditary elites we have (and what other EU country has more than Britain/) the less likely people are to feel that way.. The most prosperous (Germany) got rid of their parasites after WW2 and started with a clean sheet.

The parasites Germany have shipped in over the last few years are way more in number and surely cost way more than any previous parasites they had and they commit way more crime too ... Looks like Germany might have a few more given the high number of young male filthy chancers landing in Italy so far this year

Maybe Lily Allen could fulfill her promise to house some

I have no need to " admit " our decline ( as you put it ) - I've been saying it for some years.

( Including on this forum)

In my opinion the main cause is globalization - where jobs and wealth have been slowly been transferred from West to East.

As their standard of living goes up - ours goes down.

Eventually I assume it will level off - but not in our time.

Add to that the short sighted policies of the leaders of the EU - the UK - and the USA - and we have ended up with half the UK electorate voting to leave the EU - almost half the Scottish electorate voting to leave the UK -

... and in the USA - they get Donald Trump !

Politicians not listening to people is not a new thing.

We are becoming overcrowded / congested / and poorer as a nation ( except those fortunate enough to be at the top of the heap of course ).

Leaving the EU will make no difference, except we might be even worse off, so I don't see it as a good time to be on our own.

:'(

malc d - 2017-07-05 10:55 AM

In my opinion the main cause is globalization - where jobs and wealth have been slowly been transferred from West to East.

As their standard of living goes up - ours goes down.

But that hasn't happened in Germany, Austria, Switzerland.

Because they have aimed for the top, competing on quality and innovation, making things people want to buy.

Instead of aiming for the bottom competing on cheapness of labour like Britain.

They also are not dragged down by unelected hereditary elites, and Britain's idiotic notion that high house prices are a good thing.

Guest pelmetman

Leaving the EU will make no difference, except we might be even worse off, so I don't see it as a good time to be on our own.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4666072/EU-tells-Britain-Med-migrants.html

Really?.......Mrs Merkel invites them :-| .......then expects us to accommodate them *-) ........

pelmetman - 2017-07-05 8:27 PM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4666072/EU-tells-Britain-Med-migrants.html

Really?.......Mrs Merkel invites them :-| .......then expects us to accommodate them *-) ........

I have agreed with you Dave that Mrs Merkel’s statements about Germany’s intent/commitment to assisting refugees were naïve. They have probably encouraged many more migrants to make the perilous journey across the med from Africa via Libya as well as other routes into Europe and to become victims of vile people traffickers. The swathe of the desperate threatens to bankrupt countries like Italy as the article in your link shows. Nevertheless we are where we are and the situation demands that there is co-operation between European states in developing a strategy that acknowledges each state’s commitment to their obligations under a Refugee Convention. Sorting the genuine from the fake refugee is expensive and burdensome. That Italy should be left with the biggest burden is unconscionable. Whilst we can deprecate Mrs Merkel’s naivety I still believe it is a problem that cannot be resolved by the UK maintaining that it is Germany’s problem and not ours. The causes of this mass migration are complex and we cannot extricate ourselves from responsibility for some of them. The degree to which we have a moral obligation to expend our resources and cooperate with other European states facing this crisis is extremely hard to measure. We pride ourselves on being a compassionate and civilised society that pays due regard to its international obligations. It is to be hoped that our government will reach a fair decision on what is a reasonable contribution to a European wide strategy.

Veronica

Yes - really.

I predict that thousands of migrants will continue to cross the Med - long after we have left the EU - and if you think we will be unaffected I think you could be in for a bit of a disappointment.

:-|

Violet1956 - 2017-07-05 10:36 PM

I have agreed with you Dave that Mrs Merkel’s statements about Germany’s intent/commitment to assisting refugees were naïve. They have probably encouraged many more migrants to make the perilous journey across the med from Africa via Libya as well as other routes into Europe and to become victims of vile people traffickers. The swathe of the desperate threatens to bankrupt countries like Italy as the article in your link shows. Nevertheless we are where we are and the situation demands that there is co-operation between European states in developing a strategy that acknowledges each state’s commitment to their obligations under a Refugee Convention. Sorting the genuine from the fake refugee is expensive and burdensome. That Italy should be left with the biggest burden is unconscionable. Whilst we can deprecate Mrs Merkel’s naivety I still believe it is a problem that cannot be resolved by the UK maintaining that it is Germany’s problem and not ours. The causes of this mass migration are complex and we cannot extricate ourselves from responsibility for some of them. The degree to which we have a moral obligation to expend our resources and cooperate with other European states facing this crisis is extremely hard to measure. We pride ourselves on being a compassionate and civilised society that pays due regard to its international obligations. It is to be hoped that our government will reach a fair decision on what is a reasonable contribution to a European wide strategy.

Veronica

85000 so far made it to Italy this year ... The vast majority young males , mainly all economic migrants bringing crime , disease and more from the cult that pretends to be a religion ... Let Germany have them , they wanted em they gave the invitation ... I don't want any of em and I don't want to pay one penny towards em

antony1969 - 2017-07-06 12:35 PM

Veronica

85000 so far made it to Italy this year ... The vast majority young males , mainly all economic migrants bringing crime , disease and more from the cult that pretends to be a religion ... Let Germany have them , they wanted em they gave the invitation ... I don't want any of em and I don't want to pay one penny towards em

I understand that no one wants criminals or disease to arrive on our shores Antony. The fact remains that there are no simple answers and merely saying it's not our problem will not stop the flow of migrants some of whom are entitled to refugee status. It's not their fault that there are "bad eggs" hiding themselves amongst them.

It may be that the current mechanism by which refugee status is obtained needs a radical review at international level because it is clearly vulnerable to abuse and good people are beginning to lose faith in those processes to the extent that they are suffering from compassion fatigue.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-07-06 1:43 PM

Veronica

I understand that no one wants criminals or disease to arrive on our shores Antony. The fact remains that there are no simple answers and merely saying it's not our problem will not stop the flow of migrants some of whom are entitled to refugee status. It's not their fault that there are "bad eggs" hiding themselves amongst them.

It may be that the current mechanism by which refugee status is obtained needs a radical review at international level because it is clearly vulnerable to abuse and good people are beginning to lose faith in those processes to the extent that they are suffering from compassion fatigue.

Veronica

"Bad eggs among them" ... Crikey Veronica I think even the EU itself has accepted and acknowledged that the vast majority are economic migrants that get to Italy .... I have an answer , they are invading , masquerading as real refugees so bomb them out of the water ... I'll do it gladly and won't lose a moments sleep ... In fact it may help me sleep sounder , I could count up my kill score each night ... Scumbags not refugees

antony1969 - 2017-07-06 2:26 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-07-06 1:43 PM

Veronica

Veronica

"Bad eggs among them" ... Crikey Veronica I think even the EU itself has accepted and acknowledged that the vast majority are economic migrants that get to Italy .... I have an answer , they are invading , masquerading as real refugees so bomb them out of the water ... I'll do it gladly and won't lose a moments sleep ... In fact it may help me sleep sounder , I could count up my kill score each night ... Scumbags not refugees.

Why would you be paying anything? Refugees, economic or not, are not automatically entitled to state benefits and it's much harder than your Breitbart and Daily Wail rags would have you believe.

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/benefits-for-non-uk-nationals-do-i-qualify

Your "frothing at the mouth keyboard warrior" fury would be better vented towards bone idle British who have never done a days work in their lives, choosing instead to make a "career" out of living off the state. And let's remember, many migrants are bringing valuable skills and qualifications with them.

Archived