Lending the van out to friends

Violet1956

I've searched the forum for posts about insuring our van for a couple of friends to use in the UK touring for a week or two. The posts I have found are very old. Has anyone any recent experience/ knowledge about how/the best way to insure them? Any tips to offer? They are two lads in their 30s who live on a boat so I have no concerns about them being able to look after all the kit/understand how it all works.

Veronica

We are with Safeguard and the last time I enquired about this, they would provide an extension to cover another named driver, on a weekly basis. The cost was quite reasonable, provided that the cover was not for hire or reward (i.e. as a friendly act, rather than as a business arrangement).

This is a potentially dangerous act on your part, in that relationships could become strained if things do not go as you would wish. I personally would be cautious before going ahead.

Hi Veronica,

I would start by phoning your insurers and asking how much to add them on short term, or it may be even easier just to add them for the duration of the policy.

Common to some popular belief they do not need to reside at your address to be added to your insurance, and you cannot have two policies on the same vehicle so that may limit your options!

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-07-29 4:07 PM

Common to some popular belief ......... you cannot have two policies on the same vehicle so that may limit your options!

Keith.

..not true. (And I have had two insurance policies on a car at the same time, but covering different risks - in mine and my son's (as a learner driver) name).

I can't say I would recommend it, as - in line with the post above - if anything goes wrong, friends can rapidly become something else.

If I were to consider it, however, I would want to be "distanced" from any impact on my own insurance and claims history - hence I would be looking for a second policy.

If you Google "short term motorhome insurance" you will find a number of companies purporting to cover your circumstances. I can't recommend any of them, or fully endorse their validity, but it is somewhere to start.

i have in the past, put my sons on our policy for 2 weeks , individually. Costs about 23.30 pounds.

Not sure if they would be able to get ins for it themselves.

Having said that, I recently transferred my car to a granddaughter, and she did insure it in her name , before we had actualy transferred the details at DVLA. ( she did of course say she was the new ownerAs long as you have no claims bonus protected , can't really see a problem.

A nice gesture on your part!

PJay

Thanks again everyone. I realise there are risks associated with this. Our van is quite old and we are not too precious about it. I think if I had a newish van I would be reluctant to lend it to anyone. Fact is we've not been able to get away in it since March and it is unlikely that we will be able to go away for a many more months. I hate to see it wasted when there are people I trust who would really enjoy a trip in it. Already thinking about letting my brother use it for a trip to the IOM TT races.

I will look into the insurance options. I think a good way to go is to see whether they can insure it separately for their use. Mind you I had a minor prang in my car a short while ago and it was my fault so my NCD is already compromised.

I also need to look into the breakdown recovery aspects as we are not covered under our policy. Nothing's simple in this motorhoming life is it?

Veronica

daviddwight - 2017-07-29 7:44 PM

I would say no way. We let a member our family use a caravan it came back damaged, another member of our family usex our first motorhome that came back damaged, and who had to foot the bill ln both occasions!! Never again.

Me too! I loaned my M/H to family members and had to repair the entire side of the body (it was a panel van).

It had been scraped up the side of a bridge.

H

From our experience having a mobile (static) home, you seem to gain a lot of friends !

It's the friends you expect most from, seem to be the ones that let you down.

Maybe we were just unlucky, but did not heed warnings from others who learnt from their experiences.

Rgds

I’ve noted the horror stories with interest. It is sad when people let you down especially if they are family members. I suppose there is some truth in the old adage “neither a borrower or a lender be”. However, the question for my OH and me is whether we can afford to pick up the bill if things go wrong when we loan the van to these lads, and fortunately we can.

I feel sorry for my children’s generation who are in their early 30s. They are struggling to pay high rents in the SE with many having no hope of buying a home at all or until their parents pop their clogs. Many of the hardest working cannot afford to go on a holiday in order to escape their daily grind. Job security is a thing of the past and employers seem ever more oriented towards extracting more than a pound of flesh.

We thought we had it hard in the 80s buying a home in London and starting a family. Our struggles were nothing like those faced by our children and many of their friends, most of whom work extremely hard. A couple of weeks for free in our van to enable two cash strapped 30 year-olds to take a break is but a token gesture which will assuage my guilt just a little.

I’m sorry if this sounds a bit “worthy” but as I get older and consider that what modest wealth me and my dear OH have managed to accrue I have become a little embarrassed as it seems that this good fortune may have been accrued at the expense of the next generation. In the end many of us will be dependent upon their tax contributions for our health and social care. I consider loaning the van to a couple of 30 year olds is a drop in the ocean as far as my future debt to the next generation is concerned.

Having thought all of this through, they can write it off for all I care.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-07-30 4:23 PM

I’ve noted the horror stories with interest. It is sad when people let you down especially if they are family members. I suppose there is some truth in the old adage “neither a borrower or a lender be”. However, the question for my OH and me is whether we can afford to pick up the bill if things go wrong when we loan the van to these lads, and fortunately we can.

I feel sorry for my children’s generation who are in their early 30s. They are struggling to pay high rents in the SE with many having no hope of buying a home at all or until their parents pop their clogs. Many of the hardest working cannot afford to go on a holiday in order to escape their daily grind. Job security is a thing of the past and employers seem ever more oriented towards extracting more than a pound of flesh.

We thought we had it hard in the 80s buying a home in London and starting a family. Our struggles were nothing like those faced by our children and many of their friends, most of whom work extremely hard. A couple of weeks for free in our van to enable two cash strapped 30 year-olds to take a break is but a token gesture which will assuage my guilt just a little.

I’m sorry if this sounds a bit “worthy” but as I get older and consider that what modest wealth me and my dear OH have managed to accrue I have become a little embarrassed as it seems that this good fortune may have been accrued at the expense of the next generation. In the end many of us will be dependent upon their tax contributions for our health and social care. I consider loaning the van to a couple of 30 year olds is a drop in the ocean as far as my future debt to the next generation is concerned.

Having thought all of this through, they can write it off for all I care.

Veronica

You are quite right.

Two lads in their thirties are probably under the most pressure of all because if they can't pay their extortionate rent and are evicted the council has no responsibility to rehouse them. There is help for the young, the old, Women and Male/Female couples - especially with children and rightly so. But men of working age who haven't worked for the armed forces can be destitute as well - but there is nothing for them.

I have lent our van out to my Stepdaughter who is 24 and her boyfriend 25, - they are grass track racing fanatics and took the van to several meets, both I would class as fairly "responsible", both have been driving since they were 17 without accidents etc.

The insurance was expensive - but far less expensive than I thought it would be, although there was a large excess. I put in place a bunch of sensible rules, nothing over the top - no motorcycle pieces in the van, keep it clean and tidy, empty the toilet and everything else before bringing it back, although realising I had no leverage if they chose not to follow. I don't believe they have the wherewithal to put any damage right although luckily I do, which is another factor. - There have been situations in my past life when others in a good position have helped us, now I am in that good position to help others.

They are absolutely caught by high house prices locally - here in the Thames valley houses prices are extortionate and to a degree I feel sorry for them.

I realised the risk I was taking, - I took that on board, - probably if any damage occurred it would fall to me to sort it out, financially and though the insurance, both money wise and hassle. I am pleased to say although I was anxious, nothing happened at all, - the van was returned in a good state and they have borrowed it on several occasions. It's quite possible that I could damage the van myself, I managed to "kiss" a small tree in our very tight car park the other day, minor scuff on the bumper, it does happen to all of us.

My view is that I need to understand the risks and accept them, - it's easy to say, yep no problem, you can borrow the van but you know what you are getting into, - it's also true that if the van had come back damaged, they still would have been friends but there would have been a considerable gnashing of teeth on my part.

We thought we had it hard in the 80s buying a home in London and starting a family. Our struggles were nothing like those faced by our children and many of their friends, most of whom work extremely hard.

A couple of weeks for free in our van to enable two cash strapped 30 year-olds to take a break is but a token gesture which will assuage my guilt just a little.

Veronica

Not sure what you are feeling guilty about.

Are you one of the politicians who has kept the housing shortage going over the years ?

:-|

malc d - 2017-07-31 5:12 PM

We thought we had it hard in the 80s buying a home in London and starting a family. Our struggles were nothing like those faced by our children and many of their friends, most of whom work extremely hard.

A couple of weeks for free in our van to enable two cash strapped 30 year-olds to take a break is but a token gesture which will assuage my guilt just a little.

Veronica

Are you one of the politicians who has kept the housing shortage going over the years ?

I feel guilty Malc in the sense that when we downsize we will have some equity built on the back of the massive rise in house prices since we bought our first home. These lads were finding renting so expensive that they had the initiative to buy a houseboat going quite cheap because it needed much renovation. The ridiculously high prices of homes in the South East mean that many young people haven't got a hope of saving a sufficient deposit to buy a flat or a house nor can they obtain a mortgage because even a loan of 4X their annual income, even if they could secure one, is not sufficient to buy them a home anywhere within a reasonable commuting distance of their job. We shall be able to help our kids when we sell up but not every young person has parents who are able to help them out.

As for the housing shortage, there might be a whiff that it suits us to keep house prices on the rise as we and people like us hold ever greater sway with the government as the proportion of people over retirement age grows bigger. I'm no martyr, I want to hang on to the equity we have rather than see house prices drop because I'm as greedy as the next man/woman. Loaning the van to two cash strapped kids is a bit of a sop really.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2017-07-31 6:14 PM

Veronica

I feel guilty Malc in the sense that when we downsize we will have some equity built on the back of the massive rise in house prices since we bought our first home. These lads were finding renting so expensive that they had the initiative to buy a houseboat going quite cheap because it needed much renovation. The ridiculously high prices of homes in the South East mean that many young people haven't got a hope of saving a sufficient deposit to buy a flat or a house nor can they obtain a mortgage because even a loan of 4X their annual income, even if they could secure one, is not sufficient to buy them a home anywhere within a reasonable commuting distance of their job. We shall be able to help our kids when we sell up but not every young person has parents who are able to help them out.

As for the housing shortage, there might be a whiff that it suits us to keep house prices on the rise as we and people like us hold ever greater sway with the government as the proportion of people over retirement age grows bigger. I'm no martyr, I want to hang on to the equity we have rather than see house prices drop because I'm as greedy as the next man/woman. Loaning the van to two cash strapped kids is a bit of a sop really.

Veronica

Good on you Veronica.

It would appear to be the males on here (Boys Toys) that are not happy about sharing!!

i agree the youngster do have problems buying down here in South. Fortunately my kids (all in 50,s ) have their own homes (eldest has 2, but in Yorkshire) It's My grandchildren , that are struggling . THe only married one, has had to move further north to Bedford shire, to be able to buy , a home big enough for them and 2 kids.

PJay

PJay - 2017-07-31 8:55 PM

Violet1956 - 2017-07-31 6:14 PM

Veronica

Veronica

Good on you Veronica.

It would appear to be the males on here (Boys Toys) that are not happy about sharing!!

i agree the youngster do have problems buying down here in South. Fortunately my kids (all in 50,s ) have their own homes (eldest has 2, but in Yorkshire) It's My grandchildren , that are struggling . THe only married one, has had to move further north to Bedford shire, to be able to buy , a home big enough for them and 2 kids.

PJay

Hi PJay. Wish we could get down to Portsmouth in the van like we did last year but It doesn't look like we can due to illness in the family. In the end what we own is just "stuff" in my view. My OH can be a bit precious when things get spoiled or damaged but is more than happy to loan the van out on this occasion because like me he hates to see it wasted sitting forlornly on the drive. I've no grandchildren as yet but I quite understand how much you must feel for them in the current economic climate.

Veronica

There’s a proverb “No good deed goes unpunished”.

When it comes to motoring insurance (which is what the original enquiry related to) it will be vital for Veronica to make absolutely sure that her motorhome is properly insured when her friends are using it.

While she may be prepared for the vehicle to be damaged or written-off, this is a litigious society and motoring accidents can result in claims for enormous damages when personal injuries are involved. As legal keeper of the motorhome, she needs to be certain that her altruistic gesture in lending her motorhome to friends cannot rebound on her.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-08-01 8:49 AM

There’s a proverb “No good deed goes unpunished”.

When it comes to motoring insurance (which is what the original enquiry related to) it will be vital for Veronica to make absolutely sure that her motorhome is properly insured when her friends are using it.

While she may be prepared for the vehicle to be damaged or written-off, this is a litigious society and motoring accidents can result in claims for enormous damages when personal injuries are involved. As legal keeper of the motorhome, she needs to be certain that her altruistic gesture in lending her motorhome to friends cannot rebound on her.

Totally agree Derek.

I think Veronica is aware of the insurance situation. One would hope that the guys would be careful and considerate, especially if they pay for the insurance them selves (the extra cover cost)

PJay

PJay

If true - I suspect that would be because the" boys" would be expected to sort any problems out afterwards.

;-)

malc d - 2017-08-01 9:22 AM

PJay

If true - I suspect that would be because the" boys" would be expected to sort any problems out afterwards.

;-)

So true Malc. When it comes to the bottom line I have to admit that I often look to my OH to sort out problems that I find intractable and which he can resolve more easily. Long may the differences between the sexes reign. Truth is I hold all the cards when it comes to sorting out other issues and he benefits from that too.

Veronica

Archived