slow cooker

petenbev

You can use your home one (don't know if they make a 12v version!) You would have to be on hook up though.

i tried one at my son's house once. Did not think much of it. Ok if you want to cook the food slow for long time, I guess.

I find a pressure cooker much better, and can be use on the hob!

PJay

I have seen a slow cooker type of thing that needs no power advertised at the shows.

You put in hot food and its insulation is so good that it caries on cooking the food while it is in the container.

The idea being that you put the food in before you start your journey and then when you arrive it is all hot and cooked ready to eat.

I have not tried one but they look like a good idea.

Andy&Lou - 2017-08-21 9:35 AM

I have seen a slow cooker type of thing that needs no power advertised at the shows.

You put in hot food and its insulation is so good that it caries on cooking the food while it is in the container.

The idea being that you put the food in before you start your journey and then when you arrive it is all hot and cooked ready to eat.

So you have to cook it first. How is that a slow cooker? Just keeps food hot IMO. Another show gimmick?

PJay

PJay - 2017-08-21 10:33 AM

Andy&Lou - 2017-08-21 9:35 AM

So you have to cook it first. How is that a slow cooker? Just keeps food hot IMO. Another show gimmick?

PJay

No. Not exactly. You start the cooking process as usual but then put the pot into the vacuum flask and allow it to carry on without external heat.

http://mrdscookware.co.uk/how-a-thermal-cooker-works

But at near £100 a very expensive cooking pot IMO!

Keith.

Randonneur - 2017-08-21 12:16 PM

I use a slow cooker at home for casseroles and slow cooking brisket joints, chicken curry, rice pudding, etc and take it with us when in the van. I have found that a pressure cooker takes all the taste out of food, everything is very bland.

I can't agree with that. I find that the pressure cooker makes cheap cuts of beef/lamb, into a very tasty stew, few herbs and plenty of OXO or equivalent. !and saves on fuel as is quick and easy.

I have had one since the first one was bought for a wedding present by my grandmother , over 60 years ago(cost all of £5,oo and that was the top of range in those days. I now have 2 small ones , as I used to use on the boat, with only 2 rings , it was used greatly

I can't be doing with all the new choices that come out.

PJay

We bought a small one for the van and useit when we go out for the day as long as we are on hook up. It is nice to return to the van and have a real 'roast' dinner. Roasties and Yorkshire puds done in the double skillet. done in the slow cooker meat makes its own gravy. It also makes lovely porridge overnight as well as breakfast.

.http://cincyshopper.com/slow-cooker-breakfast-casserole/

http://www.wilko.com/slow-cookers/wilko-functional-slow-cooker-15l/invt/0316165?gclid=Cj0KCQjwierMBRCHARIsAHl9i4Fhgmm6npxSXz_DDekUdYvF8S7AnNHunNAAjsyLL4v9X-N5aqbUZtQaAkmmEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Some mad 'scientists' have used an inverter and used the cooker whilst driving,putting the cooker in the sink or a padded box. Or buy RoadPro's version-a bit pricy and only of use when driving,unless you have a massive battery bank!

We have a small one which we bought on Ebay for about £10. Big enough for two peoples meal and costs pennies to run. We fill it in the morning, go out for the day and come back to lovely piping hot meal all ready for eating.Casseroles are a doddle but we also use it for slow cooking curries & chilli. Never had any success with the porridge although we did try it-came out in slices almost!

Only downside is you have to be on mains electric to use it

Mike

Link to eBay

Hi we use a domestic 240 volt slow cooker through an inverter.

We fill the cooker with chicken veg and stock plug into the inverter,which is next to the leisure battery,

When we arrive at our destination the food is ready.

Just make sure the inverter will take the wattage.

We do this all the time without any problems.

We also use an inverter & cook while travelling. Put it on in the morning then leave on while driving all day. (It goes off when we stop but that's not for long & is no problem)

The slow cooker sits in the sink with the lid held in place with rubber bands. 

Works well for us.

The main problem however is the delicious smell while driving!

Archived