Anyone been to Bilbao recently?

StuartO

We're sailing to Bilbao in just over a week's time, disembarking after breakfast, and it would be helpful if anyone can give us tips about the arrival process and what's available for MHs in the City, since we haven't been there before.

Is there parking for MHs and a handy supermarket where we can fill the fridge?   Have the new EU proceedures for entry into the Schengen-Area impacted on the disembarkation time?  Any tips for a campsite for the first night in Spain - we're thinking of heading West to start with, along the N Coast?

Hi Stuart;

We were there in February en route to n from Portugal.

Can't say about disembarking procedures, we landed at Santander, and events in Barcelona may have changed things.

We visited Bilbao a few years ago from a campsite at Islares, in ACSI guide.and would use again..

Sorry can't help on supermarkets. I'm sure they have them, but don't make a note in diary unless.

impossible to find !

We visited Bilbao by public transport from the campsite and loved it,

Enjoy

Regards

Alan b

Hope to go there in September. so thanks for the information. How often does the bus run? I see it is 35km to Bilbao. How long does the bus take?

The original question asked about shopping. The last time we came back from Bilbao I was going to get a few bottles of alcohol at a local EROSKI supermarket ( in a large shopping complex) before going to the ferry terminal. But it was the Monday at the start of their holiday week. So every shop, apart from Macdonalds, was closed. In fact I made a wrong turn and drove through the city itself. Quite pleasant really as there was so little traffic.

So beware, just because you find a shopping place on your Satnav, be prepared to find it closed at the most inconvenient times. That applies to France as well!

Luckily our local Sainsburys and Tesco are far more enlightened and really welcome your spending for almost every day of the year.

Alan

Hi,

We were stayed in Bilbao 2016, can recommend

Autocaravaning Kobetimendo

Monte kobeta 31

48001 Bilbao.

Easy to find on the Internet.

Amazing views over the town and even better at night time.

Manned barrier entrance, toilets and shower and 2 good mh service points.

Bus stop in to Bilbao is few yards from the gate, journey time max 10 min, it is walkable down but a bit steep coming back!.

Marked pitches.

Sorry can't help with the supermarket, this was our last stop before the ferry and home.

Regards

Intransit.

StuartO - 2017-08-22 11:40 AMWe're sailing to Bilbao in just over a week's time, disembarking after breakfast, and it would be helpful if anyone can give us tips about the arrival process and what's available for MHs in the City, since we haven't been there before.

Is there parking for MHs and a handy supermarket where we can fill the fridge?   Have the new EU proceedures for entry into the Schengen-Area impacted on the disembarkation time?  Any tips for a campsite for the first night in Spain - we're thinking of heading West to start with, along the N Coast?

There is an Aire above the city looks like you have a great view .there will be no shortage of supermarkets and gas stations .There will be added security at the port as has been mentioned .The North Coast is rugged and beautiful (Coasta Verde ) you will love it . If you have the Vacarious book for Spain there are lots of Aires in there although not to the same standard as France in some cases ..Bilbao Aire .. 43.259613° -2.963469°

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2017-08-22 10:40 AMWe're sailing to Bilbao in just over a week's time, disembarking after breakfast, and it would be helpful if anyone can give us tips about the arrival process and what's available for MHs in the City, since we haven't been there before.

Pssst........ don't mention your on the same forum as Bullet 8-) .........Apart from that the North Coast of Spain is a delight, a bit like Cornwall with mountains as a backdrop B-) ...........

Can also recommend Autocaravaning Kobetimendo for Bilbao......................easy bus into town and plenty to see including Guggenheim........................think there is a supermarket close to the bus stop on the way back.

From there we went to Donestia/San Sebastian which was the highlight of that particular trip. If you go to Camping Igueldo follow there directions to the site rather than your sat nav.

Yes the aire as mentioned is excellent, but you will need to go into the city by bus for supplies as it is a climb to get to the site, hence the good views!

Even more important there is cheap fuel actually on the port, before you leave, down a slope to the right. It does come up on the sat nav, so well worth arriving low on fuel!

Good trip.

Arrived Bilbao this morning. No delays disembarking. Tip about cheap fuel was a good one - diesel 10% cheaper than elsewhere, pay at pump has English button. Easy exit from Port on to good, well signposted roads. Bay of Biscay was calm too but there is still the ocean swell moving you around. Dog kennel was OK but a pet-friendly cabin would be better if you can get one. Lovely sunny day here in Spain - so far so very good. 

Thanks for all the responses. 

StuartO - 2017-09-05 10:09 AMArrived Bilbao this morning. No delays disembarking. Tip about cheap fuel was a good one - diesel 10% cheaper than elsewhere, pay at pump has English button. Easy exit from Port on to good, well signposted roads. Bay of Biscay was calm too but there is still the ocean swell moving you around. Dog kennel was OK but a pet-friendly cabin would be better if you can get one. Lovely sunny day here in Spain - so far so very good. 

Thanks for all the responses. 
Whereabouts is the filling station? Travelled to Bilbao many times but never seen that!Mike

flyboyprowler - 2017-09-05 8:01 PM

Mike,

The station is on the port. As you leave the ship, from memory, there is a roundabout where you turn to the left, but the fuel station is down the ramp off the roundabout to the right. It also comes up on a sat nav if you have one.

Is this after the 1 way bit?

Coming off the ship to the road you have to turn right as it's dual carriageway then up to roundabout and Uturn back down towards port gates-looking at google it seems to be off the next roundabout (which I can't remember!) is this right or have I gone too far?

Thanks

flyboyprowler - 2017-09-05 8:13 PM

As far as I remember, it is off the first roundabout, but don't leave the port! Ask the nice policeman as I did first time I found it. We were on real knockings, so asked the policeman after we got off the ship and bingo. The garage is no visible from the road.

Thanks-think I've found it now in case I arrive low.

StuartO - 2017-09-07 11:08 AM

There is now a big signpost showing the brand at the first roundabout, where you turn R to get fuel instead of L to exit on to the road system. Can't really miss it if you are looking for it. 

The roundabout where you would normally do a U turn to go towards the port exit?

Mike

Archived