Help starter broke down in Glasgow replace cost £470!!!

Vietnam1

Hi all my first trip in my fiat Ducati ace firenze 2.8td 2005. 1st night at stratclyle caravan park. Van wouldn't start. Recovering said starter motor gone and it going to cost £470 to replace, something to do with being lucas part and supplier surcharge as can't be recondition I am 400 miles from home. I am newbie and have no experience in mechanic or motorhome. This is extortionate price. Can someone help as to what price should be paying and what option I have.

P.S. welcome to motorhoming!!!! And welcomes to Scotland!!!!

Sorry but since you can't do it yourself you have to pay someone else.

For a new starter motor, breakdown call out bank holiday weekend rates £470 does not sound extortionate to me.

There may be a chance of getting a contribution from the seller if you got a warranty with the van?

"RTX" Starter motor at Eurocarparts with discount code HOLIDAY75 is £119.06

They also list Lucas, Remy and Bosch. All listed for your model.

As far as I am concerned they all fit.

Lucas after discount would be £255.43

I have fitted RTX to my Mondeos.

Can you buy local and engage a mobile mechanic.

Should you go down this route you need to purchase from Euro on-line to use the discount code, you cannot use it in-store.

Unfortunately no Glasgow stock for Click and Collect at Euro available until Tuesday.

andytw

It may sound harsh as I do sympathise having been in similar situations myself over the years but I would be inclined to bite the bullet, get it sorted, pay the bill and don't let it spoil my holiday.

Even if recovery home is free you still have the lost days while you sort it, no guarantee it will be a lot less cost with labour, no guarantee anyone can do the work when you need it done, and add the cost of getting back 400 miles to where you are today to the lost days.

It's a tough choice but headline cost is not the only factor and if you can get it fixed today be thankful that it has not ruined your holiday, only your credit card balance!

Sorry about the wording as I don't mean that to sound as harsh as it does but that's how I see it!

Good luck and enjoy the midgies!

StuartO - 2017-08-26 8:47 AM

Get yourself recovered home...

Unfortunately most breakdown policies only offer recovery home IF the vehicle cannot be repaired locally and/or in a reasonable timeframe.

So, as you have been offered an option of a repair, I think you would have to foot the bill for the 400 mile tow and that definitely would be more than the price you have been quoted to replace the starter on site!

As Tracker has just said, bite the bullet, get it fixed and enjoy the rest of your holiday. And possibly try to recoup some or all of the cost from the seller on returning home. Was it a private or dealer purchase?

Keith.

a few years ago, we got towed back from GLASGOW to Portsmouth., due to an accident (not our fault) The cost was Over £2000, 00 . Took 2 days, and the driver has to do the return trip, hence the haigh charge. You need a low loader, due to height, Also the driver is restricted to 50 mph, and has to stop due to taco.We spent the night in Birmingham service station.

So I would say get it fixed locally ! As our cost was covered by the insurers, but i guess as your,s is not an accident, it won't be covered

PJay

andytw - 2017-08-26 9:24 AM

"RTX" Starter motor at Eurocarparts with discount code HOLIDAY75 is £119.06

They also list Lucas, Remy and Bosch. All listed for your model.

As far as I am concerned they all fit.

Lucas after discount would be £255.43

I have fitted RTX to my Mondeos.

Can you buy local and engage a mobile mechanic.

Should you go down this route you need to purchase from Euro on-line to use the discount code, you cannot use it in-store.

Unfortunately no Glasgow stock for Click and Collect at Euro available until Tuesday.

andytw

Thats probably what I would do because I could fit it myself

But if I was broken down 400 miles from home. couldn't fit it or get to ECP to fetch it myself, I would pay someone else the £470 to do it.

There is a cost to the tradesman in time of obtaining the parts, so we can't expect them to sell parts at cost price.

Repairers don't like, and may refuse, to fit parts obtained by someone else in case they are wrong. In any case you can't expect them to guarantee parts they haven't supplied.

Te OP says he has no experience in mechanic or motorhomes, but still says its an extortionate price.

Which, lets be frank, doesn't sound like the ideal customer.

Good tradesmen are busy tradesmen and can afford to walk away from difficult customers who offend them by assuming them to be crooks.

What will he do then?.

Vietnam1 - 2017-08-26 1:06 AM

Hi all my first trip in my fiat Ducati ace firenze 2.8td 2005. 1st night at stratclyle caravan park. Van wouldn't start. Recovering said starter motor gone and it going to cost £470 to replace, something to do with being lucas part and supplier surcharge as can't be recondition I am 400 miles from home. I am newbie and have no experience in mechanic or motorhome. This is extortionate price. Can someone help as to what price should be paying and what option I have.

P.S. welcome to motorhoming!!!! And welcomes to Scotland!!!!

Rotten luck, but, can you wait for repair until Tuesday? Glasgow is a great city with much to see and do.

Then, see if you can get a local mechanic to source, and fit, a replacement starter. If Eurocarparts can supply at £119 (if they can get one) or supply Lucas at £225, and if you can wait, what's to lose? (apart from £2-300 if you have to get it fixed over the bank holiday weekend). Good luck.

Hi thanks for everyone advice. Firstly my van is 12 years old and bought privately, secondly I can wait for few day as I can hire a small car to get around maybe even venture north and go to Edinburgh. Spoken to a friend he recommended to get the starter motor recondition by a local auto electric this will cost £80 plus fitting. Or do I source a new one ? Been told there 3 different one and it the dearer one that I need. What if I bump start and drive all the way home in one go.?

Vietnam1 - 2017-08-26 5:07 PM

. What if I bump start and drive all the way home in one go.?

You will need some strong men to push it!!

Rather than spoil your holiday, wait and get it fixed after the bank holiday

It is bad luck you have had this problem, but at 12 years old parts are bound to wear out

PJay

Brian Kirby - 2017-08-26 3:33 PM

If Eurocarparts can supply at £119 (if they can get one) or supply Lucas at £225, and if you can wait, what's to lose? (apart from £2-300 if you have to get it fixed over the bank holiday weekend). Good luck.

Yes, ECP may even supply the right part *-) , but they aren't going to fit it free so how's he going to save £2-300?

Or do I source a new one ? Been told there 3 different one

This is one of the problems with supplying your own parts.

If he fits it and it doesn't work what then?

Did you get the wrong part?

Was it something else responsible?

If he is responsible for everything - diagnosing the fault, supplying the parts, and doing the job he can't blame you when it doesn't work.

Another problem wit supplying your own parts is rubbing the fitter up the wrong way so goes off to do something else :-S

get the starter motor recondition by a local auto electric

How long will that take, and how good a reconditioning job will he do?

Without knowing that you might prefer to trust a brand new one so there is less likelyhood of this happening again in a couple of months time.

PS: I wouldn't blame the seller. Things will have worn out on a 12 year old van :-S

Are you sure it is the starter

It is not normal for a starter to die without a warning.or a noise

1) are you sure you have Lille in the battery ?

2) when you turn the key to start it are you getting any sound like a click click click ...

If so You could have a stuck starter.... You can usually free it by putting the van in 4th gear and getting a . few people to push it back and forward...this will free it

OR. The click click click. Can be a bad Earth on the starter or a battery connection not tight enough........

Tighten both the connections

IF your van was not used for a long time it could have a stuck brush in the starter......

GET a hammer OR the jack Handel and give the starter a good hard belt

LAST. Get the van towed to start it ....and when the engine is running turn the key to the starting position for 2/3 seconds ...

YOU CAN DRIVE IT home,it will start with a small tow and if you need to stop get a hill to stop on

You can call me if you need more hellp 00353 872578808 it is an Irish number

Kevin/1946 - 2017-08-26 9:16 PM

Are you sure it is the starter

It is not normal for a starter to die without a warning.or a noise

1) are you sure you have Lille in the battery ?

2) when you turn the key to start it are you getting any sound like a click click click ...

If so You could have a stuck starter.... You can usually free it by putting the van in 4th gear and getting a . few people to push it back and forward...this will free it

OR. The click click click. Can be a bad Earth on the starter or a battery connection not tight enough........

Tighten both the connections

IF your van was not used for a long time it could have a stuck brush in the starter......

GET a hammer OR the jack Handel and give the starter a good hard belt

LAST. Get the van towed to start it ....and when the engine is running turn the key to the starting position for 2/3 seconds ...

YOU CAN DRIVE IT home,it will start with a small tow and if you need to stop get a hill to stop on

You can call me if you need more hellp 00353 872578808 it ir an Irish number

To check the battery is healthy, there is the old trick of turning on the headlamps and have an observer check to see if they dim severely when trying to operate the starter.

I do not wish to appear critical, but I have personal experience of sudden failure of a starter on a 12 year old vehicle. We stopped in a store car park, and were unable to restart. The battery was original, and we were alert to any suggestion of failure, but it was the starter motor.

As regards the earth connection on pre 2006 Fiat Ducato (X244 version) I am not aware reports of recurrent problems. The main battery negative descends to a flag terminal below the battery, which is the main earth point. However the same cable continues to close to the starter motor on the clutch housing. Points to look for are possible corrosion at the flag terminal below the battery, or poor connections at the clutch housing.

I fully agree with the possibility of a stuck brush.

Alan

Hi I can confirm it not the battery now I have another problem the recovering people took the starter motor off to find a match as I think they said it not original there is no brand or seriel number. Only this 1 005 831 448 ? They came back to return it but didn't put it back!! And I didn't want to pay £470 for a new one at the time. I check on eBay they are selling new one for around £80. But will it fit?. My best bet is probably get it recondition it only take a couple of hour confirm by local auto electric place.

Vietnam1 - 2017-08-26 11:37 PM

Hi I can confirm it not the battery now I have another problem the recovering people took the starter motor off to find a match as I think they said it not original there is no brand or seriel number. Only this 1 005 831 448 ? They came back to return it but didn't put it back!! And I didn't want to pay £470 for a new one at the time. I check on eBay they are selling new one for around £80. But will it fit?. My best bet is probably get it recondition it only take a couple of hour confirm by local auto electric place.

Can I ask how much they are charging for the 2 call outs and the time spent.

If you engage someone else how much will you have to pay them for what they have done so far?

Yes indeed it can happen,but as it is his first trip with the van and not knowing if the dealer had the battery out and not tightened correctly, I don't have a lot of knowledge about the this model but after buying my 1st Motorhome and doing a lot of work on it I am learning fast.My hobby is restoring classic .

Kevin

Hi all thanks for all your help and advice. No cost to me yet as I had breakdown cover on my insurance.

The recovering firm turn up diagnose faulty starter took it away to find a match, return it but didn't put back so got it out so I am going to try to give it a whack and figure out how to install it.

Archived