Windscreen wipers Ducato X250 ,08 reg intermittent fault

snowie

Just as it says; unpredictable fault, always in rain, obviously, and on all modes, inter it's/ slot /fast.

Wipers stop working for about 3-5 minutes then start again.

Tried all sorts of combinations. Irritating and dangerous.

Anybody had anything similar and replaced anything?

Regards

Alan b

snowie - 2017-09-17 12:08 PM

Wipers stop working for about 3-5 minutes then start again.

Alan,

If they always start working again after approximately the same length of time then this points to a 'thermal fuse'.

I would hazard a guess that the wiper motor is going week or more likely the mechanism is getting stiff and this is overloading the motor causing the current to rise and trip the thermal fuse. After a couple of minutes it cools down and resets and begins all over.

My old Ford Galaxy did exactly this when the wiper spindles went stiff, dismantling and greasing the spindles fixed it every time!

Keith.

You know, Brian and Keith illustrate exactyl why this forum takes some beating!

I'm not sure I can actually do either of the recommended things, but I think I know where to look, and where to get my friendly mechanic to start.

Thanks guys

Regards

Alan b

I had the same fault on a 2008 van, getting progressively worse over several months. After chasing up a LOT of blind alleys, the fault turned out to be inside the wiper motor. There is a combined fuse/thermal overload device on the internal PCB. This goes slightly high resistance (maybe a damp corrosion effect on the contacts ?) which means that the motor cannot draw enough surge current to start, though once its running at a lower current it carries on. Hitting the motor casing sometimes gets it going. A new motor from Euro Car parts completely cured the problem.

Archived