Avignon low underpass tunnel

blaven

Just spent three nights in the beautiful old city staying at Camping Bagatelle beneath Pont Édouard

Daladier. We were heading up north to Lyon and duly crossed the bridge heading south and followed the RN100 following Lyon signs past the old city walls on Boulevard du Quai de Saint-Lazare when the road forked and our direction took us under a very low underpass marked either max height 2.7, or 2.8 metres. There was no way out with heavy traffic behind me. So looking at the heavy scoring marks on the roof of the underpass, I had no choice other than to go for it. Mercifully no rending noises ensued and I got through. I calculate I probably had about 10 cms. to spare. I don't recall seeing any warnings for restricted height prior to the entrance to the tunnel, but you know what it's like first thing when you're setting off in heavy morning traffic in a city on the wrong side of the road!

We don't use a dedicated camper van Garmin. I wonder if such a device gives a warning on this road.

The coordinates roughly are N43 57'01.07" E004 49'10.34"

My van's a Murvi Morello. There have been times when I've wished for something larger. Not this time though! Judging by the score marks on the roof many have come to grief here.

We called at Avignon a few years ago when we were on a river cruise on the Rhone and what we were shocked by was that a beautiful place had been ruined by the amount of chewing gum everywhere. We did do the obligatory 'sur le pont d'Avignon' even though there is only half a bridge left, they supplied us with English speaking cassettes and headphones.

blaven - 2017-09-25 8:37 PM.............................. I don't recall seeing any warnings for restricted height prior to the entrance to the tunnel, but you know what it's like first thing when you're setting off in heavy morning traffic in a city on the wrong side of the road!

I hate to say this, but if you navigate Google Earth to N43.453054 E4.814640, and switch to Street View, you will see the main advance warning sign on a gantry above the carriageway. I suspect your attention was, understandably, elsewhere as you negotiated the Avignon traffic! The road you then took was the D225 north, which has a 3.5 tonne limit. The height restriction is 2.8 metres, so your guess of about 10cm clearance seems about right.

We narrowly missed that underpass last year due to my wife's quick thinking and my ability to react to her suggestions ( should we say ) while I drive. We would definitely have lost our solar panel at the least had we continued down there.

Brian Kirby - 2017-09-25 10:36 PM

I hate to say this, but if you navigate Google Earth to N43.453054 E4.814640, and switch to Street View, you will see the main advance warning sign on a gantry above the carriageway. I suspect your attention was, understandably, elsewhere as you negotiated the Avignon traffic! The road you then took was the D225 north, which has a 3.5 tonne limit. The height restriction is 2.8 metres, so your guess of about 10cm clearance seems about right.

The sign is a short way back but could be very easy to miss if you are concentrating on traffic, here's a street view shot of it... Link to Google Maps

It also looks like many other roads around there have low bridges and underpasses so it would pay to check signs very carefully.

Two years ago in Delft when approaching Camping Delftse Hout we went under an underpass signed at the very last minute as 3.2 m when we are 3.05 m from the brochure! A nerve racking minute or two as we crawled under!!!

Link to Google Maps

Keith.

French planners adore underpasses and low bridges.

Rouen is notorious (examples here)

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/hemerotheque/rouen-un-camping-car-coince-dans-une-tremie-681051-FQPN681051

http://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/normandie/seine-maritime/rouen/camion-bloque-tremie-rouen-1265811.html

but I’ve suddenly come across bridges with a height-limit well under 3 metres in French small towns.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-09-26 9:10 AM

French planners adore underpasses and low bridges.

Rouen is notorious

Thanks Derek!! ; the cold sweat started again!

I vividly remember; on our first trip in 2010, quite unnecessarily taking one of the underpasses in Rouen, 2.7M I think, in our 2.65M panelvan. To say it was buttock clenchingly scary would be an understatement.

I think Mulhouse was pretty "interesting" in this respect last year.

Drive safe

Regards

Alan b

We use a Tomtom with Truck maps. If I set the height to 2.81m or above the satnav routes me away from the tunnel. At 2.8m it takes me through it , I always set the height to 2.9m, the van is actually 2.75.

Still need to be alert , wouldn't trust it 100% as it once tried to get me to drive the wrong way down a one way street.

Patrick

Archived