Reversing lights - Autotrail Comanche

Phil and Lol

To answer your question about two live feeds causing the fuse to blow, the simple answer is no.

You do not describe the tester used, but I am assuming that you are using a multimeter. These are very sensitive, and can give a misleading result in some circumstances.

Please repeat the test with the new fuse removed, ignition ON, and reverse gear selected.

If you still have 12V at the reversing light, then you have a problem.

It is necessary to consider why the fuse blew, as you have not mentioned a faulty bulb, which may cause the fuse to blow, but I think that this is not very probable.

One possible cause is chafed wiring causing a short circuit to other lights, accessories, or to chassis.

Alan

euroserv - 2017-10-31 5:01 PM

Please indicate the year and engine that your vehicle has. There is a peculiarity on 2.8 Ducato's made between 2001 and 2006 that i will explain to you if this fits your vehicle.

Nick

Nick,

That fits my vehicle,so I for one would be intereted in this peculiarity.

Alan

Please indicate the year and engine that your vehicle has. There is a peculiarity on 2.8 Ducato's made between 2001 and 2006 that i will explain to you if this fits your vehicle.

Nick

But looking at Phil's previous posts he has a 2011 AT Comanche so it will not be a 2.8.

Keith.

Alanb - 2017-10-31 5:48 PM

Nick

Nick,

That fits my vehicle,so I for one would be intereted in this peculiarity.

Alan

What's it worth Alan?

No, just kidding.

Normally i would be careful not to go off topic but since this relates to reversing lights and people may stumble upon this thread while searching for a solution on an older vehicle......

On the front of the 2.8JTD engine (from 2002 model year to 2006) is a black plastic box. It contains a heater which is not required for the majority of the time for the majority of users because it is only activated at seriously low temperatures but as with most redundant items that are seldom used; it is prone to corrosion and failure. The internals short together and blow the fuse. This fuse is shared by the speedometer drive and the reversing lights! In the early days here we had a couple of vans do this and we were really scratching our heads and even produced some new power supplies for the reversing lights on one vehicle before stumbling on the solution. We disconnected the errant heater unit and left in place because a new one is about £150 and you don't need it anyway.

If this helps you one day; make a small donation to the charity of your choice.

Nick

If indeed the OP has a 2011 vehicle, we have had no problems with these at all. This may well be a conversion specific issue.

Phil and Lol - 2017-10-29 4:33 PM

Lights not working,. Using tester established they have power, checked fuse and found it had blown. Would two live feeds cause fuse to blow. Tester also showing I am getting a live feed when not in reverse.

Any ideas? Many thanks guys........

the rear light cluster has water in it, remove the fog light at the bottom and the water will come out drill a hole in the bottom of the black plastic inside to elieviate this problem, then remove all lights and check wiring for water corrosion.

Jonathan

Archived