Copied from another Forum

vindiboy

GB sticker

Quote   Didn't notice I didn't have one . Fortunately a very nice Guardia Civil spotted my omission and pointed it out to me .

Only charged me €40 as well .

Spanish roads are now safer  Un quote  Be careful out there they are watching you !

BKen1 - 2017-11-09 12:13 PM

Just get a couple of these no where near as ugly as the big oval ones ....wouldnt want to stick them on my vans paint work

But unfortunately those specific plates are not valid in the EU!

If you follow the link in Derek's post above the ONLY valid plates have the 12 Yellow stars above the letter GB. Any other combination needs a separate GB sticker!

Note this warning from the Gov.uk website...

"You’ll still need a GB sticker when travelling in Europe if you display one of these national flags and identifiers."

Keith.

Perhaps BKen1 is just one step ahead - GB/Union Flag will probably be de rigueur in a couple of years time !!!

However, the Union Flag is probably the most recognised flags in the world. It would take a very pedantic copper to issue a fine for not having the European Flag.

It's interesting to note that Gibraltar have recently changed to the European Flag - probably to appease the Spanish (lol)

QUOTE --As I said I've never noticed . My dealer obviously saved himself £2.50 when putting vehicle on the road . 
I may have no excuses but surely a disproportionate punishment (full price €80) for the pettiest of offences . Not easy to source GB sticker here .UN QUOTE 

This is a follow up post by the original poster about the GB sticker on another forum, seems he could have been find double what he paid ??

Hi last year when we went through the tunnel the guard on the train pointed out that the GB sticker on the back of the motorhome could not be seen because of the scooter on the rack.He said quite a few people had been pulled over in France and fined. That evening I made one up with paper and pencil and stuck it in the rear window.

Regards David

John52 - 2017-11-09 6:41 PM

We usually seem to be the odd one out?

Britain is the only country not to have its name on its stamps.

Just the Queens head and the rest of the world is assumed to know who she is and which country is forced to

have her *-)

It didn't take you long to start off again did it

The requirement (or not) for a GB-sticker on a UK-registered vehicle is not really like the requirement (or not) for a Crit’Air sticker.

I’ve been driving in Continental Europe for about 35 years. When I started doing this I think all UK-motorists were well aware that, when driving on the Continent, their vehicle needed to have a GB-sticker on its rear.

The ability to display the Euro symbol and GB identifier on a vehicle’s number-plate – instead of a separate GB-sticker – has complicated matters, particularly as a ‘national’ flag/identifier can be displayed on a number-plate if the vehicle owner so wishes.

Some motor dealerships fit to new vehicles number-plates carrying the Euro symbol and GB identifier, and some do not. My 2009 Skoda car’s plates came without the Euro/GB symbols and meant that I needed to fix a GB-sticker on the car when I first took it abroad. This peeved me a bit, so when the Skoda’s original number-plates required replacement I decided to have the Euro/GB symbols put on the new plates. However, when I removed the original plates I realised that the Skoda had threaded holes in its rear panel intended for attaching the number-plates and there was no guarantee where the heads of the attachment-bolts would end up on the plate’s top surface if I changed the plate’s design. Consequently I had new plates made on an exact like-for-like basis.

Robbo - 2017-11-09 12:57 PM

Perhaps BKen1 is just one step ahead - GB/Union Flag will probably be de rigueur in a couple of years time !!!

However, the Union Flag is probably the most recognised flags in the world. It would take a very pedantic copper to issue a fine for not having the European Flag.

It's interesting to note that Gibraltar have recently changed to the European Flag - probably to appease the Spanish (lol)

I have a notion in the back of my mind that the requirement for vehicles to carry national identification plates, when being driven outside their country of registration, comes from the Vienna Convention on International Traffic - and that is also where the format for the identification plate is laid down. This is the familiar oval plate with a white background and black lettering reading, in our case, GB. National flags are not included.

If you take your vehicle abroad, it is a legal requirement under the Convention that the national identification plate is displayed. The "Euro-plate" is merely an agreed substitute for vehicles circulating within the EU area. If your vehicle doesn't have Euro-plates, the white oval plate is the only legal alternative.

So, whether of not you take the view that police officers who might stop you for not carrying an approved plate are over-zealous, the law would be on their side, not yours. At least, that is my understanding. Happy for correction if wrong.

When I bought a new van last year, I asked for the Euro flag version of the number plates to be fitted. However, the dealer fitted the version with the Euro stars at the top, the saltire beneath that and SCO at the bottom. Perfectly legal here in the UK but still needs a GB sticker in the rest of Europe, so defeated the point!

Goodness knows what they fit if the purchaser lives in England or Wales.

Archived