Starter battery voltage

CPeachey

If the Starter battery is under the bonnet, the negative/earth lead should be easy to see while the Positive will be covered by a 'Plate' of the Primary fuses.

See photo (borrowed from another post by John52) of what it looks like in the Fiat X250 underfloor location.

You don't need to get the meter on the Positive terminal, just on one of the fuses should do.

If you put the meter on the negative and the Positive meter probe on anyone of the Fuses, that should be more easily reached, you should get a reading of about 12.7v for a good battery that has stood a week.

12.2v, even allowing for the ignition being on seems a bit low?

You will note that in John52's photo, the Earth 'clamp' on a Fiat X250 is just a quick release lever to help isolate the battery/prevent theft when not in use.

While I am here with such a great photo can I add a note on checking battery fluids which was raised recently?

To check battery fluids, just flick off the Earth Lead, then remove the single nut in the middle of the bar crossing the battery. Then lift the retaining bar off, but take great care that as you lift it you note carefully how it fits to see how to put it back.

To access the filler caps under the Positive clamp, just loosen the single 10mm positive clamp bolt and lift off the 'Fuse plate' as a complete unit.

Be careful that all cables go back without being caught by the cover.

Only check the battery levels after the vehicle has been standing some days to allow the Hydrogen and Oxygen that may be in the cells to dissipate.

Ah a Citroen!! The one time I look at your details for the van you have and see an '05 Trigano' (usually on a Fiat) is the time it's out of date. :$

742402237_FiatX250Batteryboxfuses.thumb.jpg.de969d3a7f5002906ccb1b11438fe163.jpg

It's a Citroen Relay WildAx Constellation (67 reg). The positive terminal (and whole battery) has a cover. There looks like a flap covering the terminal but I cannot lift it so was looking elsewhere to check the voltage. I'll have a look for the fuses when I next get to the van (It's in storage)

Thanks for your help

Chris

I am not sure that is a good sign?

Most quality mains charger units charge the Starter battery at about 0.8v less than the habitation battery.

14.5v for midday on a battery that most likely shouldn't need charging is very high?

Possibly dry out the battery and degrade it to just a couple of years life?

It suggests your Solar solution isn't ideal, probably not a Motorhome specific solution?

May I ask why you wanted to check the voltage in the first place, was there a concern?

aandncaravan - 2017-11-11 5:57 PM

To access the filler caps under the Positive clamp, just loosen the single 10mm positive clamp bolt and lift off the 'Fuse plate' as a complete unit.

You also need to remove the 2 crosshead screws in the red plastic strip to the right of the 10mm positive clamp bolt and pull it out. These screws work like rawlplugs in a hole in a brick wall - expanding into holes in the top of the battery to secure the fuse box.

Archived