damp motorhome

Peterrabbit

SOLD MY MOTORHOME BACK TO THE DEALER AFTER HE HAS ATTEMPTED TO REPAIR IT FOR A YEAR i LOST £4500 ON THE DEAL. IT IS STILL DAMP AND IT IS ON HIS WEB SITE ADVERTISED AT £20995 A PROFIT OF £3500 ADVERTISED AS IN GOOD CONDITION ALL ROUND

POLICE SAY NO CRIME UNTIL SOLD BUT TRADING STANDARDS HAVE TAKEN A NOTE.

SHOULD I TAKE FURTHER ACTION IE PUBLISH MAKE MODEL AND REG NO?

Yes of course you should - but take care to tell only the truth that you can prove, in case you get sued for defamation.

For example do you know that the MH still suffers from dampness and has not been repaired before being offered for resale?

(By the way please don't type in capitals.)

StuartO - 2017-11-25 3:16 PMYes of course you should - but take care to tell only the truth that you can prove, in case you get sued for defamation.

For example do you know that the MH still suffers from dampness and has not been repaired before being offered for resale?

(By the way please don't type in capitals.)

I think he is trying to make a pointBut I agree be careful what you say or print, as Stuart saysPJay

PeterRabbit,

From experience of similar previous posts on this forum I would say DO NOT name the dealer or publish the registration number as Warners (the owners of the forum) WILL remove the entire thread to prevent any possibility of liability against them.

Keith.

StuartO - 2017-11-25 3:16 PM

but take care to tell only the truth that you can prove

I imagine that would be pretty difficult. For instance all fabrics, timber etc, contains some moisture - at what level can you describe it as damp? how can you prove that and its a result of a fault in the vehicle?

If the OP has had a years use out of it, bought and sold it at a dealer, and only lost £4.500 I don't think he has been ripped off. Dealer margin alone could be as much as that.

I think all we can do is reiterate again that nobody should buy a second hand coachbuilt van without having it checked for damp etc

Keithl - 2017-11-26 1:08 PMPeterRabbit,From experience of similar previous posts on this forum I would say DO NOT name the dealer or publish the registration number as Warners (the owners of the forum) WILL remove the entire thread to prevent any possibility of liability against them.Keith.

Warners only become liable for defamation if they are aware of what has been posted on their forum - they are not expected o monitor everything, just in case.  However if they spot something, or if they receive a complaint, they might indeed remove it.

I haven't seen them doing that so far.

My answer to the OP is simply, "No". He has had no recent control over the motorhome and he has no responsibility to any potential buyer. He has little to gain other than perhaps a short lived sense of revenge and potentially a lot to lose if his actions prove unfairly detrimental to the dealer.

I presume Warners responsibilities remain within the Defamation Act 2013

Under the Act website operators can be pursued by those who claim they have been defamed as a result of comments on their site even if they are not the author of those comments. The Defamation (Operators of Websites) Regulations sets out the process operators have to adhere to in order to escape liability.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/defamation-act-2013-guidance-and-faqs-on-section-5-regulations

Archived