Fiamma F45S wind out awning lead bar 7mm slot - to cut open the end cap or not?

Matrix Meanderer

Being the proud owner of the new 2018 Kampa Motor Rally Air Pro 390 awning I have just tried out fitting it to my Fiamma F45S 4.0 metre wind out awning before we go south to Sunny (and windy) Spain.

I was confident when buying that the 3.90 metre awning 6mm connecting strip would fit within the 4.0 metre long 7mm slot on the lead wind out bar with a bit to spare.

BUT what Kampa don't tell you is that they have attached a 10 cms lead tape at each end with eyelet inserted, presumably to assist in pulling the connecting strip along the 7mm groove/slot.

The net result of this design feature is that the awning body cannot be pulled to the end of the 7mm slot at the closed end and so the awning overhangs the open end of the lead wind out bar slot. Doh! as Homer Simpson would say.

The awning does fit snug under the wind out box, air beams inflate and stand strongly and the roof clears the habitation door perfectly well. So a good item except for the attachment issue on the wind out bar.

My question to Forum members is: To get the perfect fit on the wind out bar I would like to run the 7mm groove through the closed end plastic cap. This would allow me to pull the Kampa connecting strip right to the end of the wind out bar fascia, just leaving the pulling tape out of each end of the slot.

So have other Forum members done this? Can I cut the Fiamma awning lead bar end cap carefully with a hacksaw and smooth with a file? Looking at the Fiamma Spare Parts diagram (item 98655-556) It looks like this is possible without damaging anything, it's just solid plastic I assume.

Advice please and thanks for reading through the explanation of my problem

:-S

Matrix Meanderer - 2017-12-19 10:44 PM

...My question to Forum members is: To get the perfect fit on the wind out bar I would like to run the 7mm groove through the closed end plastic cap. This would allow me to pull the Kampa connecting strip right to the end of the wind out bar fascia, just leaving the pulling tape out of each end of the slot.

So have other Forum members done this? Can I cut the Fiamma awning lead bar end cap carefully with a hacksaw and smooth with a file? Looking at the Fiamma Spare Parts diagram (item 98655-556) It looks like this is possible without damaging anything, it's just solid plastic I assume.

Advice please and thanks for reading through the explanation of my problem

:-S

If you don’t get guidance regarding your cutting-a-slot plan from a forum member who has performed that surgical operation, and you want to keep the eyelet tape to help with attaching the Kampa awning, you will need to remove the end-cap and then decide how advisable/practicable cutting a slot should be. (I assume you were not considering cutting the slot with the end-cap still in situ.)

There are quite a few on-line images of the 98655-556 part and it certainly looks like slotting the thing should not be problematical. And, even if you did damage the end-cap badly, the cost of a new one should not break the bank (£7.99 + £3.50 P&P from this supplier)

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-f45s-l-h-pelmet-end-cap.html

Go ahead and do it. I did it over a year ago and it has been very successful. The end cap is a separate spare from Fiamma if you make a mistake. I checked before I did it in case I got it wrong. I also found that because the ends stood out from the awning groove, when it was windy they started to pull out of the slot. this was easily fixed by putting a thin piece of plastic in each end about 6 inches long and about 0.5 mm to 1 mm thick. It pushed the beading up and kept it in place If this is not clear enough let me know and I will try again to explain better!

The attachment of the Kampa to a fiamma or thule is by means of bead O- rail. Like Caravans have it standard standard on the side wall. In case of a awning attachment of a motor home you have two options: The bead in the out going part, or a permant fixed bead rail screwed to it. The first is easy but hanging on your awnig in slight opening.. Go for the permanent rail in one piece. The led rail is not possible than. The kampa bead comes in two sizes as a siamese.It needs some side space too for the ground pegging to prevent flying away. But it is a very nice motorhome air pump up tent. Kampa has pictures of it fitted to burstner I 728 g impuse, The one i have.

I cannot advise on whether or not to cut a slot

However if you decide as suggested to proceed with this modification, may I strongly advise that you make the slot "U" shaped, or at least radius the inner corners. This will help to prevent cracks developing from the corners of the slot.

Alan

DonB - 2017-12-20 3:33 PM

Go ahead and do it. I did it over a year ago and it has been very successful. The end cap is a separate spare from Fiamma if you make a mistake. I checked before I did it in case I got it wrong. I also found that because the ends stood out from the awning groove, when it was windy they started to pull out of the slot. this was easily fixed by putting a thin piece of plastic in each end about 6 inches long and about 0.5 mm to 1 mm thick. It pushed the beading up and kept it in place If this is not clear enough let me know and I will try again to explain better!

Thanks for the helpful replies and comments.

I'll remove the end cap from the front panel and cut the new slot as DonB suggests. Got a good workbench so should not be a problem.

I don't think the awning will move in the groove as the 6 mm connecting material fills it from one end to the other. Plus the 2018 awning has four nifty limpet fixings to hold the side wall to the MH wall and adjustable pole from floor to underside of the awning box. The air beams are fixed in position by the rest of the awning which is pegged to the ground. So should be a solid job.

I could also attach the winding handle end pulling tab to the winding point with a short piece of cord but that might be too belt and braces - even for me

8-)

Just hoping that I can get a spare fiamma part, if needed, before we leave for Spain

:-)

• 4 months later...

Hi Encoreman

Yes I did make the alteration to the end cap and it worked well.

You need to mark out the cut before starting, note that the groove is shaped upwards. Have a look along the other open end of the groove and you'll see the shape. You need to continue that profile through the end cap. It's relatively soft plastic so cuts easily.

I use a combination of stanley knife, electric drill and file to get the continuation groove right. Just do a little at a time and keep checking the alignment.

No need to tie the end to the Fiamma winder, plenty of friction to hold it in place.

Just line up the sides of the awning where you want them on the awning box.

Good luck.

I mean this: A awning like a thule 8000, or fiamma F45S, about 4.5 mtr wide is fiixed and locked in the full max upward closing position When you let it down it clicks out of his upper limit postion whit some noise. When in out position you are in danger about overloads on the brackets to site wall or top. The beads can only be used when awning rail is out of his top locking meaning a liitle bid in down position and you hanging the bead of the tent in them is risky. Better is a bead fiixed with screws as a bead rail just under but still in awning structure. And looks more neather and profi. That what was that a kampa dealer told me to do. Not possible when a led strip is there. But maybe it works your way whit the led inside the tent. Keep me informed. Have fun whit your tent. Cheers.

No not concerned in the slightest.

Neither me nor (I suggest) hundreds of other Kampa awning purchasers.

These awnings are designed to fit Thule and Fiamma awning boxes which are fully able to stand up to the weight, stresses and strains of attachment. I would rather attach an awning to a substantial box than a rail screwed to the motorhome wall *-)

Thanks Ian.

I see no reason why the cassette should not relocate/lock back holding the awning bead. Is this so.

As far as weight is concerned I would think window panels could be removed during the erection/dismantle stage to take pressure off the awning arms ( my back as well. lol. ) We used to do this often when we had a caravan awning. Which of the two beads is used in the Fiamma groove 4mm or 6mm.

I sent an email to Kampa via their contact site regarding the bead length being too long for my 4 metre Fiamma awning a couple of days ago. No reply. Thanks again Ian.

Because Kampa uses this as a sales tool. The bead of the awning is meant for other things, than hanging a large tent on it whit multiple doubtfull ground pegs spreading wide in space taking more space than a normal camping whit. There are not hundred of them. even on campers. you were fallen in a trap, or you have no technical understanding. Ask thule or fiamma what you are doing on this width of awning. I never said that the bead rail was screwed directly into side wall, but in the awning.

Archived