French Motorway Toll Classification

Ginny1

phalange - 2018-08-20 8:45 PM

My van is 4.5t and a tag and i've only ever been charged class 2 :-D

Wasn't Me - 2018-08-20 8:59 PM

I'm pretty sure you are not allowed a tag for a vehicle over 3.5 ton.

Phalange,

Did you mean your MH is a tag AXLE and not that you have a Sanef tag?

Keith.

Billggski - 2018-08-21 12:31 PM

......by the way, the sanef tag isn't cheaper. You pay the same tolls plus an initial fee. It's just the convenience and the fact that my wife doesn't have to swear and cuss because she can't reach the card slot.

Yes - exactly. It's worth the initial fee. I usually pull up as close as I dare (avoiding wing mirror damage) but then, when my wife can't reach either the high or low slots, have to move forward and out to let her get out - big queue forming behind with French drivers not quite as patient as the British (they don't know how to queue you know) money dropped on the floor, wait to see if there is a ticket or not - barriers up so have to go. Breathe gently, no need to panic now till the next booth.

It's why I mainly avoid autoroutes but would happily make judicious use of some if I had an automatic tolling card.

David

Billggski - 2018-08-21 12:31 PM

......by the way, the sanef tag isn't cheaper. You pay the same tolls plus an initial fee. It's just the convenience and the fact that my wife doesn't have to swear and cuss because she can't reach the card slot.

It is if you should be class 3 and only get charged class 2.

Keithl - 2018-08-21 4:23 PM

phalange - 2018-08-20 8:45 PM

My van is 4.5t and a tag and i've only ever been charged class 2 :-D

Wasn't Me - 2018-08-20 8:59 PM

I'm pretty sure you are not allowed a tag for a vehicle over 3.5 ton.

Phalange,

Did you mean your MH is a tag AXLE and not that you have a Sanef tag?

Keith.

Phalange’s motorhome is a left-hand-drive 1999 Fiat Ducato-based Hymer 694, so it should be visually similar to the vehicle in the attached photo.

This model does not have a ‘tag axle’ configuration (no Ducato-based motorhome does) though it does have tandem rear axles.

hymer.jpg.cbf3ea762b73e11f565e2f37c3d80913.jpg

Archived