Medication on the go

Daf Murray

With me planning to be full timing in Europe and having no itinerary I started to think about healthcare, whilst I don’t plan on visiting a doctor for anything other than an emergency I am on a repeat prescription for 3 lots of medication and will be for as long as I’m kicking, The GP is willing to give me 3 months worth of tablets and told me to register with a local doctor wherever I am.

After doing some googling it seems the information is all over the place where one site contradicts another. Has anyone any real world experience with this? My other option as I see it is Superdrug will sell me 6 months worth of pills for £480, I can order double the strength and then snap each pill to make them the right dose to last 12 months.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Both myself and my wife are diabetic and need a daily supply of prescription drugs, in total we take about 30 tablets a day plus we each have an injectable. I queried getting these with my doctor and his suggestion was to register and book repeat prescription on-line, we each have unique log in details then when we need a new prescription we fill in the relevant info on line and pick up a couple of days later. We do this on our PC but you can do it via and app on your mobile. No reason why you couldn't get a relative or friend to collect your prescription and then mail to you wherever you happen to be at the time.

Details of my on line surgery is here:

https://patient.info/patient-access

But I'm not giving you my log-on details. I'm sure your surgery with have a similar syatem.

Looking through their front page you can even change your address, not sure whether they'd mail your drugs overseas but no reason why you can't ask them

Edited to add, I lived in France for six years and on the odd occasion I ran out of drugs got an appointment with a French doctor who gave me a prescription, I always took a copy of my prescription with me. Had to pay for the consultation (c€25) and the drugs (c€15) but I could have reclaimed that via DHSS Newcastle but to be honest it was such a trifling amount I couldn't be bothered. You do have your EHIC card don't you?

My Doctor sends my Prescriptions direct to my local Boots chemist as needed, the chemist then texts my phone telling me that the Meds are ready for collection, if you sign up for this service at your Doctors and chemist, someone could collect the Meds on your behalf and then post them on to you, complicated but it could work ?

They are quite common pills, ill do some googling to see if i can get them over the counter over there, paying for postage every 3 months would be a lot cheaper than having to fork out for a years supply. Ill ask my friend who’s letting me use his address for insurance etc if he would be willing to send them to me.

Daf Murray - 2018-02-16 10:42 PM

They are quite common pills, ill do some googling to see if i can get them over the counter over there, paying for postage every 3 months would be a lot cheaper than having to fork out for a years supply. Ill ask my friend who’s letting me use his address for insurance etc if he would be willing to send them to me.

If the required drugs are "scheduled drugs" in the destination country, they could be classed as illegal imports.

You could end up in serious trouble! Do take care.

Alan

Another option is Pharmacy2you. They get your prescription from your Dr and fill it and post it to you. Loads of ads on TV at the moment for them. Don't know about posting overseas but worth a call/look?

Got an email flyer from them this morning;

https://www.pharmacy2u.co.uk/prescriptions/electronic-prescription-service-nhs?utm_source=conversant&utm_medium=leadgen&utm_campaign=prospecting

Alanb - 2018-02-17 8:57 AM

Daf Murray - 2018-02-16 10:42 PM

If the required drugs are "scheduled drugs" in the destination country, they could be classed as illegal imports.

You could end up in serious trouble! Do take care.

Alan

You can get most drugs abroad in europe You will have to pay , and very expensive. I guess you pay for your drugs in UK any way? Us being "oldies" get them them free, hence we are restricted to only getting 2 months at a time. our doctor will usually give a prescription early if we say we will be away when they run out.

Also when you leave the country for more than 6 months (I Think that's the time, may be less) your NHS doctor can and should take you of their list, so you would not have a doctor to supply you any way

As you are permanent drugs, I would suggest you look into this. The alternative would be to come back to UK regularly, even for a day or two. This may be difficult with dogs of course, unless you leave them , while you fly home

As you can see, it's not easy to just go !

PJay

Thanks for the responses, this is a great community! Ive checked and my medication doesn’t appear on any illegal lists (apart from Dubai, confident I’m not going there!).

Leaving the dogs is not an option, Luckily I live in Wales and the prescriptions are free, I’ve just noticed a message on my phone from the GP letting me know they have done me a prescription for 12 months, a very happy surprise! This will allow me some time to find my feet.

Archived