Van service

Marcol

I recently had my Transit custom 2.2 serviced by my local independent garage. The van is a 2014 with 50000 on the clock

I always leave it to the garage to do what is needed and this time they used the new Castrol Magnatec professional Ford spec oil in the service. Also I noticed they used some Wynns diesel injector cleaner.

Now the purpose of this post is to say that my van has never run so well or so smoothly. Is it the new oil or the injector cleaner or both ?

Anyone else using the new Castrol professional oil and if so what are your thoughts ?

Marcol - 2018-03-02 8:24 PM Now the purpose of this post is to say that my van has never run so well or so smoothly. Is it the new oil or the injector cleaner or both ?

Couldn't comment on the oil but I know that Wurth Injector cleaner works well and improves performance so possibly Wynns is having the same effect

As a student I worked in a garage on Saturday mornings and many customers commented on how much better their cars ran after a service. The mechanic said the difference was purely psychological especially when the service in question involved little more than greasing the joints which in the old days had to be done every thousand miles.

hi Marcol,

Years ago I used to use Castrol Magnetec on my and all the families cars along with Wynns additive, the engines always seemed to run smoother and quieter. Periodically I would also use Slick50 as an additive which was supposed to put a form of skin on all working parts,certainly cut down on rattles.

cheers

derek

For years I was a Mobil 1 man. I used it in all my cars and vans and it is an excellent oil , but the price just seemed to keep going up.

I now let the garage use whatever they recommend and in the case of the motorhome and my van it’s The Ford spec Castrol Magnatec.

I know the garage used to use low ash 5W30 from Millers oils.

I know that there is a psychological effect in thinking that because your vehicle has just been serviced it must be better , but this is the first time after a service that I’ve noticed a definite improvement and the only difference between this and all the other services is the change in oil and the injector cleaner.

Happy travels

Colin

Marcol - 2018-03-03 10:03 AM

For years I was a Mobil 1 man. I used it in all my cars and vans and it is an excellent oil , but the price just seemed to keep going up.

I now let the garage use whatever they recommend and in the case of the motorhome and my van it’s The Ford spec Castrol Magnatec.

I know the garage used to use low ash 5W30 from Millers oils.

I know that there is a psychological effect in thinking that because your vehicle has just been serviced it must be better , but this is the first time after a service that I’ve noticed a definite improvement and the only difference between this and all the other services is the change in oil and the injector cleaner.

Happy travels

Colin

You can ignore the brand name. All that matters is the specification.

tonyg3nwl - 2018-03-04 9:41 PM

Marcol - 2018-03-04 8:14 AM

To a point I agree , but I’d rather trust an oil from Castrol , Mobil , Shell etc than something meeting the spec from Pounzdland or Lidl

doesn't it come from the same refinery ??

Tonyg3nwl

Many years ago, I worked at the Oil Terminal in Hemel Hempstead.( the one that had the fire!) At that time there where several companies operating there. Shell.Mobil, Charringtons , and some I can't remember , was in the 1970, s

The fuel came up a pipeline from Essex to ALL of them! Both Gas oil (Diesel) and petrol i think maybe they added there own additives once in the tanks on site .

So yes all come from the same places

PJay

It’s often claimed that vehicle fuel all comes from the same refineries and, consequently, there is no difference between ‘branded' fuel and supermarket-sold fuel

https://www.allstarcard.co.uk/this-matters-fuel/fleet-news/supermarket-fuel/

but that’s vehicle FUEL, not the OIL used as a lubricant in vehicle engines.

Vehicle manufacturers may recommend a specific brand of engine oil (Fiat recommends SELENIA oils) with a particular specification (details of Fiat, Peugeot and Ford engine oil specifications here)

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-902-fiat.aspx

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-3521-peugeot-specific-engine-oil.aspx

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-694-ford.aspx

but - as John52 has said above - it’s the specification that is important not the brand.

A vehicle’s handbook will normally provide details of the oil(s) that will be suitable for the vehicle’s motor and give the oil’s specification identifier.

Although petrol and diesel fuels will have been refined from a natural resource, modern vehicle engine oils may be contain no mineral products. This is explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

That might be true of fuels , but it certainly isn’t the case with lubricating oils.

Having worked in the engineering industry for over 30 years , I know that most oil company’s have many closely guarded secrets with their various formulations.

Each company is trying to come up with something that will win large contracts to supply various organisations. This involves huge amounts of R&D. Remember that the oils used in the auto industry account for a very small percentage of overall sales.

But each to their own as they say. I try to stay true to the saying of “you get what you pay for”. If a cheap oil is half the price of a leading brand ask yourself why is it half the price ?

Colin

Marcol - 2018-03-05 11:30 AM

That might be true of fuels , but it certainly isn’t the case with lubricating oils.

Having worked in the engineering industry for over 30 years , I know that most oil company’s have many closely guarded secrets with their various formulations.

Each company is trying to come up with something that will win large contracts to supply various organisations. This involves huge amounts of R&D. Remember that the oils used in the auto industry account for a very small percentage of overall sales.

But each to their own as they say. I try to stay true to the saying of “you get what you pay for”. If a cheap oil is half the price of a leading brand ask yourself why is it half the price ?

Colin

Inordinate amounts of marketing and advertising maybe, for the obviously well known brands?

Sorry. Made a mess of that post. But advertising and marketing swallow up massive amounts of budget in a highly competitive market.

I use Gulf Semi-Synthetic in my van, and Q8 Fully Synthetics in my SKODA. Both massively well known brands and refineries. First one’s £17 for 5 litres, second’s £17 for 4 litres VAG spec.

In the past, foolishly, I’ve paid £65 for 5liters of VAG spec Comma oil.

Archived