spanish speed camera.s

fesspark

Has anyone arrived home from Spain and found a fine for speeding in the post that is over 3 months old and what have they done about it as the 50% discount if you pay within 20 days has long gone? I have just returned home to find one from early dec 17,and I do not fancy paying any but certainly not the full amount,of 100 euro,s as I was only 7 mph over the speed limit. I have in the past been robbed by motorbike police for three offences that I had no control over or did not do.any advice apart from pay up and smile would we be welcome. Fesspark

Depends whether you want to go to Spain again.  They are presuably unlikely to enforce in UK (alhough they might be able to these days) so if you are happy to stay out of Spain you could take the risk.

Alternatively you chould change the registration number of your MH by buy a cherished number; that should slow their attempts to catch you down!

Alternatively you could send them 50% with a covering letter explaining you paid as soon as you received the notice.

StuartO - 2018-03-30 5:15 PM

They are presuably unlikely to enforce in UK (alhough they might be able to these days)

They can. It was reported in the press a few months ago that although the UK had opted out of the cross border enforcement arrangements, the derogation was time limited and has now expired. Other EU states can now enforce traffic penalties against UK residents, though for reasons known only to themselves our Government has chosen not to exercise their right to reciprocate. Whether the Spanish authorities will bother for 100 euros is, of course, anybody's guess. Since the derogation expired only recently, possibly after the offence, it might be worth checking the exact date and whether it applies retrospectively.

according to the fine, 62 klph in a 50 kl on a decreasing entry according to the fine,meaning the vehicle was going into a slower speed area.I have personal plates so as I am having a new vehicle in may I will transfer this plate to my car ? Fesspark

We live in Spain and arrived home last year to find a speeding ticket from France in our post box. We had been away for 3 months so, needless to say, the option to pay a reduced price had passed. We paid the full price at our Spanish bank. It is not the fault of the traffic enforcers that motorhomers are away from home for months on end.

fesspark - 2018-04-03 4:51 PM

My fine, says, that the 50% discount is acceptable up to 20 days from receipt of it,that gives me 20 days from the day I arrived home, that is the 29th March so I could pay 50euros if I decide to. Fesspark

Good luck with that one. I would be very surprised if it isn't written into the relevant legislation that you are deemed to have received the notice when it arrived at your address.

fesspark - 2018-03-30 3:42 PM

Has anyone arrived home from Spain and found a fine for speeding in the post that is over 3 months old and what have they done about it as the 50% discount if you pay within 20 days has long gone? I have just returned home to find one from early dec 17,and I do not fancy paying any but certainly not the full amount,of 100 euro,s as I was only 7 mph over the speed limit. I have in the past been robbed by motorbike police for three offences that I had no control over or did not do.any advice apart from pay up and smile would we be welcome. Fesspark

If your 7MPH over the, limit is accurate, it would equate to just over 11KPH. If that figure is from the penalty notice, bearing in mind all speedometers are "fast", your speedometer will have been reading higher. It is clear the Spanish authorities have access to your address from the fact that you have received the notice through the post. Under the circumstances, I think I would send the fine less 50%, with a covering letter apologising for your oversight and explaining that you have only just returned to UK and received their penalty notice. You could also include a copy of your return cross Channel booking as evidence of the date of your return.

Keithl - 2018-04-03 8:10 PM

Unless the letter was signed for or recorded delivery or similar how can they prove the date you received it?

Just claim it only just arrived if questioned :D

Keith.

That’s an interesting point, in UK law proof of posting is not proof of delivery. Send 50% if you send anything at all.

fesspark - 2018-04-03 7:23 PM

Brian, I will pay the 50% as it says from the day you receive the fine and I landed at Plymouth Thurs 29th evening, alas I cannot send a letter with it as it has to be by bank transfer to reach them on time, Fesspark

That is relevant to paying the fine. I assume there must be a case number or similar, or else they will have no means of linking your payment to the incident. I also assume there must be an address of some sort on the letter, or else how could you know it is a bona fide communication from the Spanish authorities?

But, as the only means of settling the fine is by bank transfer, pay now and wait to see if they then respond by demanding the full sum, in the meantime hang onto their penalty notice, also keeping all the evidence you can to prove when you got back to UK. You should then have a reasonable case to make, if they press for the full sum, that the balance should not be due, because you only received notice of the fine on the day you returned, and you then paid promptly, as required.

Keithl - 2018-04-03 8:10 PM

Unless the letter was signed for or recorded delivery or similar how can they prove the date you received it?

Just claim it only just arrived if questioned :D

Keith.

They may not need to. The legislation under which the penalty was issued will set out what constitutes service, and it may allow service to be assumed without confirmation of receipt. In the UK, for example, a civil summons sent by first class post is deemed to have been served on the second working day after posting.

It would be the same in the UK, for example the London congestion charge only gives 14 days grace. The answer is that you either accept this is a possible penalty of going away for more than a couple of weeks or you get someone to check your post.

Archived