Vauxall Luton announcement

flicka

Interesting to see PSA's announcement for van production increase at Vauxall Luton plant.

One report says increase from current 60k to 100k units & to include Peugeot & Citroen models.

So will the Sevel plant see a big reduction.

Will it see the demise of the Vauxall Vivaro ? as that is currently a Renault/Nissan shared platform.

Could we see a new PSA model under the 3 badges.

If PSA pull out of the Sevel plant, their could be a turn around to Fiat's domination of the motorhome market.

My contacts tell me that the current 6 month lead time for any Fiat Ducato variant is a major headache that only the cessation of production of PSA variants could help. They are convinced that when orders can once again be fulfilled within 12 weeks (as was the case 2 years ago) there will be more than enough demand from all European markets to keep them busy. There are also advanced discussions for a new partner in the next Ducato incarnation that is due within 3 years. My guess is this would be Renault/Nissan and this fits with recent alliance building.

My own feeling is that if PSA/GM produce their own large van and it is over 4m in length, and Fiat remain hamstrung by their lack of such a vehicle; their optimism would be rather unjustified but since the relationship between Fiat and Iveco is a lot looser than it was..... The Fiat might be allowed to get a little larger. If i am right about Renault..... they like their long vans too. Fiat and Iveco have CNG and hybrid powertrains ready to go and they were not going to share that with PSA under any circumstances so the sooner this gets sorted out the better.

Yes volume is set to inrease to 100,000 and it will be a new model.

My first thought was a Boxer/Dispatch replacement, although this is bigger than the current Traffic being made there, and Renault have there own large van factory, so I'm not sure of a tie up there.

I doubt very much that the Renault/Nissan alliance would look for a deal with rivals PSA, although stranger things have happened?

My understanding is that the PSA deal with Fiat for joint production at SEVEL was due to end anyway and that neither party was enthusiastic about renewing it?

I wonder how much, if any, depends on the outcome of Brexit, and what, if any, financial incentives and guarantees have been given to PSA by the EU and/or by the UK??

I know nothing about these changes, but it does trigger some thoughts, as it is the developments at Renault that give me more encouragement of improvements in our market place than those of PSA.

I wonder if Renaults success/experience in Formula 1 with it's Petrol/Electric powertrain would give it a big edge in bringing an advanced Powertrain to market very quickly?

Opel/Vauxhalls have also been running vehicles off LPG for quite some years, so again a reliable Gas truck might also be easy to bring to market?

Throw in the resources of Mitsubishi, now also owned by Renault, with it's light trucks and it might be a big new force in the market?

Back in 1969, NSU were only small, but had an abnormally large number of highly skilled design technicians as the products the NSU company worked on were cutting edge and advanced so of greater interest to the best brains of the day than working at Opel on the Kadett or VW 411.

But the accountants at NSU were not quite so good, and the company floundered.

VW took over NSU and merged it with Auto Union, Audi's owners, amidst talk they were crazy as NSU was a dead company that couldn't be revived, and the debts were huge.

But it was later said that VW bought NSU, not just for the production line capability, but the Brains that had produced such advanced products. Their plan was to let those Brains lose on creating new designs, but with tighter financial control.

Even while the NSU models were still being produced, the legendary Audi 100 and 200 were being created, using the famous Auto Union 4 ring badge.

The new companies management were sited at the NSU works, Neckarsulm, where the top Audis's like the A6, A8 and R8 are still produced.

It is also where the Porsche 924 and 944 were also constructed.

I am not saying that Mitsubishi 'Brains' are in the same league or numbers as NSU's, but they are some of the best in Japan, so a potential extra Iron to have in the fire.

Mitsubishi are also quite good at electronics, key to modern powertrains.

If anyone can turn a Renault petrol/electric powertrain idea into a reliable workable module, they can.

With Renault vans having a pretty poor reputation for reliability and Mitsubishi light trucks having one of the best, along with lower 'Tariff free' UK built cost, a 'new name in vans' might also be born, built alongside PSA vans at Luton and maybe Merseyside?

Hopefully, Renault will learn from their mistakes of taking cost cutting at Nissan too far, and not do the same at Mitsubishi.

Tracker - 2018-04-05 10:14 AM

Renault ride and refinement with Mitsubishi build and reliability - sheer bliss!

If only !!

Or....

Mitsubishi ride and refinement with Renault build and reliability!

And what would that give?

Keithl - 2018-04-05 12:14 PM

Tracker - 2018-04-05 10:14 AM

Renault ride and refinement with Mitsubishi build and reliability - sheer bliss!

If only !!

Or....

Mitsubishi ride and refinement with Renault build and reliability!

And what would that give?

A Fiat!!

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-04-05 12:33 PM

Isn't it a shame that, after all of the flag waving and tub-thumping that goes on, there isn't (nor never again will be?), a "British" owned brand amongst any being mentioned.... :-S

Isn't funny how Brexit hasn't stopped foreign companies investing in the UK? ;-) ...........

How annoying must that be to Remoaners :D ........

Got an email this afternoon from someone saying that PSA and Mitsubishi have been involved in several long standing collaboration projects making them a possible 'broker' in deals between Renault and PSA.

In the late nineties when PSA wanted to improve what was already regarded as the best passenger car diesel of the day by going 'direct injection', they turned to Mitsubishi for help with the design.

Mitsubishi and PSA united again in 2005 to develop the Peugeot 4007 and Citroën C-Crosser sport utility vehicles, based on the Mitsi. Outlander.

Two further ties were established between the companies.

In 2008 with the establishment of a jointly owned production facility in Kaluga which will manufacture up to 160,000 Outlander-based SUVs for the fast-growing Russian market.

The 1.8 litre Mitsubishi 4N1 Diesel engine (all alloy, DOHC 16v, Mivec Variable Valve timing) was supplied to PSA in 2012 for the 4004 and Citroen C4 Aircross.

So already history of PSA collaborating with Mitsubishi, maybe making a van collaboration a reality?

pepe63 - 2018-04-05 12:33 PM

Isn't it a shame that, after all of the flag waving and tub-thumping that goes on, there isn't (nor never again will be?), a "British" owned brand amongst any being mentioned.... :-S

Vauxhall hasn't been 'British' for close on a hundred years, they where much bigger in the area with the Bedford plant, but this was knackered by LDV who underbid for the MOD contract then had to go back to government pleading poverty.

Interestingly PSA has history in the area as they took over Chrysler plant in Dunstable but eventually shut it down, so you can imagine that prior to the latest announcement many at Vauxhall where fearful for their jobs.

Archived