which van conversion

MacMad

Hi MacMad

It may be worth checking out the Dethleffs Globus on the Fiat 2.3JTD (3 layouts listed in MMM) they are Coachbuild Low Profiles, but only a few inches wider than the standard van width (6'11") H8'10" and all under 20' L.

As Brian posted earlier, you would ned to check Kitchen equipment suits your requirements. Prices shown come in around the Trigano/ Devon/ Timberland ranges.

Flicka

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes we are new to motorhoming. However we rented a campervan in New Zealand last year for eight weeks with great success (Japanese model) and then decided to buy our own for 2007.

As stated earlier we are visiting the NEC and other various outlets to look at what's on offer.

Definitely found all this feedback very helpful and having discussed with other owners and viewed a few vans have now concluded that...

1. I am going for a LWB high top campervan based on either the new Renault or Fiat base- preferably auto but not essential. Partly depending on price and the deal in general.

2. Keeping the car for normal use. Being retired I have come to the conclusion

that a "one van does all" is too small for us. At our age we do need a bit more comfort and looking at all the walking gear etc we have I think we need just that bit extra space. So although this works for some, for us it will be two vehicles.

3. Would prefer to buy from a UK builder (yet to be decided) but intend to look at all the manufactures based in the Midland up to the North. Would not discount other makes entirely (Adria etc) as a number of folk seem very happy with them....will have to have a good look when oportunity arises.

4. The layout of the van I like is as shown in this months MMM article about the Van Master Endeavour. Earlier in the thread I tried to describe this layout but probably caused confusion... this is the layout in the Ducato (or very similar) I described in the first post.

5. Budget £30k (ish!) Would prefer new but would consider used if newish model, proviso however that base motor is one of the "new units". I am hoping to buy with a view to running the vehicle for say 10 years so want something

that will stay "fresh" for spare parts/resale etc.

So, not yet decided on the actual van but well on the way, and in this game defining what you need is the hard part.

Will keep the thread posted as to how I go.....

thanks all again

macmad

Bill

As you have probably realised from the above posts, a panel van conversion will tend to be more expensive, relative to space provided, than a coachbuilt.

Your budget is around the bottom of the range for a 2007 model, either panel van or coachbuilt.  For UK produced, have a look at Devon Conversions, they do several based on the Master, and are towards the lower end of the price range.  However, do check the bed widths as well as lengths: Devon is one of those firms still trying to pass off 4' 0" wide beds a doubles!  Look also at the Autosleepers range, a bit higher quality but also generally higher priced. 

Unfortunately, I think the better quality "off the shelf" vans such as IH, Timberland, Murvi etc, are all nearer (or over!) £40K than £30K.

The flaw with the panel van imports, generally, is that they do the bed well, but then rather spoil it by installing small fridges and 2 burner hobs.  All the Trigano derivatives seem to do this, plus Adria and the Knaus Box Star.

For about the same money, there is a limited number of 6M long narrow bodied coachbuilts; all those I know of being from Germany.  Dethleffs Globebus and Globevan, Hymer Van and Hobby Van.  All are under 2.1M wide.  They do work rather better internally, due to having greater space in the high level lockers, being just that tiny bit wider (by about 2 - 3 inches), and being able to use the wall space where that big van sliding door goes.  There is also a very nice looking Knaus Van, available in lhd only, which is around 2.15M wide.

Below 6 metres most of the available coachbuilts grow back to 2.3M wide, which I, personally, find restrictive in parking places, towns, narrower roads etc.

I think all the coachbuilts have better sized fresh and waste water tanks than the van conversions, and tend to be better insulated overall, but the panel vans fight back with better payloads, albeit they have less storage space to carry it, and better primary security.

MacMad, as you have decided to go for the motorhome being a second vehicle then it could be worth looking at smaller coachbuilts. At last October's NEC show we looked closely at the Compass Avant Garde (115 I think). This is a low profile two berth coachbuilt from a British manufacturer and in October they were £25,000 brand spanking! with a rea U shaped lounge and swivel passenger seat you get a lot of 'van and facilities for not so much money.

D.

Thanks Brian and Dave for your comments,

Well....I started off knowing what I wanted.... and now ......not sure!

Since this, a perceived simple enquiry thread has gone on, I have received lots of information from many "old hands" and a number of direct pms's.

All have which have thrown up interesting observations.

Truth is, different folk have different desires/requirements and standards of design and quality, not to mention budgets!

Since my original posting I have been re-thinking what I actually need a motorhome for as I think this really is the key to buying the right vehicle in the first place.

This thread has been a very valuable experience for me as in addition to the replies posted, I have also been directed to other sites and postings which are proving very useful.

At this point I am undecided what to buy but never-the-less now have a shortlist and an idea of where I am going. Incidentally many others thinking of buying a motorhome will also be benefitting from this thread even if they are not in a position to post anything - so again can I just say well done again everybody who has contributed.

I am off to the NEC in February for a good look at models I am interested in and also will then be visiting a few converters/ dealers and will hopefully be splashing a bit of cash to enable me to get over to Scandanavia in May/June for our first motorhome tour...

Details to follow in due course!

Bill

P.S. Running off topic for a moment. Can I give a bit of advice myself. Having looked at three hardly used (very) newish second hand vans with very low mileages I have come to the conclusion that the reason for this is that the term "boys toys" is applicable.

As a lifelong outdoor type (camping/hostels/backpacking etc) I am amazed to find that some folk go out and pay nearly £40,000 for a motorhome and then after ONE trip find they do not like it! Furthermore none of the three sellers had ever been on a campsite before buying their vans!

If anyone reading this is considering buying a motorhome make sure you are buying it for the right reason (i.e. a means to an end....travelling/outdoors/camping etc) and not as I suspect in some cases because the Motorhome is the ultimate boy's toy.

However much you pay, however big the vehicle, you will be staying on a campsite.........and emptying your own toilet!

Bill

:D

oldhenry - 2007-01-24 1:48 PM No one ever seems to mention the La Strada Pronto, that has good cooking facilities and is 'continental', and a van conversion -hogh quality company too. :-S

True, and available in UK from Brownhills, but last time I checked quite a bit higher in cost than Bill's budget.

I have been thinking about a la strada and last weekend had the opportunity to see two at Brownhills in Newark. The Pronto was attractive because of its cost and relatively large bed for a van conversion. I have read that the bed should be at least 6 inches (15 cms) longer than the height of the sleeper. I am tempted to modify this advice by suggesting that it can be slightly shorter if the bed is wider than usual so that taller people can sleep across the diagonal.

I picked up a catalogue from Brownhills and subsequently viewed the la strada website for more information. The Pronto isn't mentioned in the 2007 catalogue, nor on the website. Unfortunately neither the catalogue nor the website provide detailed specifications of the base vehicles. The Trento, based upon the new Ford Transit, looks encouraging with a catalogue quoted bed-size of 205 x 140 cms.

What disappointed me about the Trento (approx. £34k) and a Regent (approx. 45k) was that some of the cabinetwork had collapsed. A folding wooden support for the L-shaped seat on both models was damaged. My 5 year-old Autocruise has a bigger bed and appears to be more robust in construction. Time for further reflection I think.

Steve

Archived