Does anyone else's van have this?

Fiat Ducato

Hi all

Been doing some work on my coolant system as my van tends to be slow to get up to temperature and then stays at half way around 90 degrees when going around town in 2nd and 3rd gear however once I hit the motorway it rises up to almost red, sits just below read and steadily sits there. Warning light never comes on, and heard fans so fairly sure they work. Done a comprehensive coolant flush, removed, removed radiator and fitted a new one as it was looking a bit worse for wear. When I removed the thermostat, it had a pulley cable attached to a brass cylinder type of thing inside the thermostat housing, the other end of the cable goes to the fuel pump. So I'm guessing this is some type of cold start aid, regulated by coolant temp.

I've attached a photo of my thermostat, as never seen one like this before and according to my workshop manual for van from 1994 - 2001 1.9 & 2.5 Litre Diesels. The one in the book is totally different than the one on my van.

Does anybody else have this type of thermostat on their van. Mine is a 1997 1.9td Fiat Ducato.

Thermostat.jpg.8a5da7eed6e56471caa655e9df467111.jpg

Derek,

Unfortunately I would have to disagree!

The part in your photo clearly has two hose spigots on it's upper edge whilst Paul's part only appears to have the one wax stat and cable affair. To me it seems an entirely different part.

Paul,

Are there any part numbers moulded into the plastic which may help identify it?

Keith.

...I think you'll find the OP has removed the "missing" hose spigot in dismantling.

From the part number, it looks to be the correct part for the 1.9TD (CAT) engine, as in the listing.

The diagram here:

https://www.fiatdalys.lt/en/catalog/parts/104/2/0/3/PE/0/0/M1,M11,M12,M2,M3/0/GD/water-pump-and-lines

(click on the third of the small thumbnails for the correct variant) indicates the housing and part number, and confirms it is for the 1.9TD CAT - it needs a bit of faith to match the drawing up with the picture, but it does if you work at it - note the "pulley" type connection as described).

Incidentally, if you can't get access to Fiat's ePer system, this site is very good, if a rather exhaustive method, to find part numbers.

Hi

Thank you all for your comments and observations, yes I think you are right this is the same thermostat as mine, there is some writing and part number on my one - MotoRad Germany 402-80. Just unsure about the wax cylinder which cable goes to. Is this an additional part, bought separately? Any ideas

And thanks for the link Robinhood, very informative and useful.

...if it is the part marked as 5 in the diagram (with no description available), then I think it is this:

https://www.fiatalfadealerparts.co.uk/fiat-sending-unit-fiorino-ducato-palio.html

...with the part number 1314720080. (I've found a copy of ePer that lists the part number).

(Note, whilst it is listed on this link, it isn't currently available via it - but blowing the picture up gives you an idea).

If you need one, you might have difficulty sourcing it, though there are a few possible Continental listings from Google.

Robinhood - 2018-05-04 11:06 AM

...if it is the part marked as 5 in the diagram (with no description available), then I think it is this:

https://www.fiatalfadealerparts.co.uk/fiat-sending-unit-fiorino-ducato-palio.html

...with the part number 1314720080. (I've found a copy of ePer that lists the part number).

(Note, whilst it is listed on this link, it isn't currently available via it - but blowing the picture up gives you an idea).

If you need one, you might have difficulty sourcing it, though there are a few possible Continental listings from Google.

Your a Star Robinhood thank you very much for all your help. :-)

Fiat Ducato, the overheating and cool running symptoms you have are unusual in that it runs too cool in normal use but on the motorway runs too hot.

Usually thermostat failure results in either it sticking fully open so the vehicle runs cool around town but more normal at speed, or the thermostat sticks fully closed, so runs hot all the time.

However, I guess if your thermostat has stuck partly open, it wouldn't allow enough coolant flow at high speed so maybe overheat, but allow too much coolant flow at town speeds to get warm?

I would suggest you are on the right track thinking of replacing the thermostat , but you should be able to confirm this by looking in the housing to see if it's partly open at room temperature.

If the thermostat is the issue then replacing it should improve fuel economy around town as the fuel pump 'enrichment' device should deactivate earlier than it probably does now?

Archived