HELP mains transformer running VERY hot!

michaelmorris

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michaelmorris - 2018-11-17 10:31 AM

Okay, we ran the fridge on 12v for the 3.5 hour journey home on Tuesday. This morning (over 3 days after we got back) I've measured the battery voltage at 12.66v. Is that figure okay?

The attached picture is of a State Of Charge chart that Allan (aandncaravan) has provided in the past.

Thus, if your battery (leisure or starter?) is a conventional ‘wet acid’ type, and the battery is at rest with no load on it, and your measurement is accurate, the 12.66V reading indicates that the battery is fully charged.

1644607902_StateofChargeChart.jpg.e428985e0dbd69db029a48cdb6ecc76b.jpg

Michael, that is bit low for Varta LFD's, what was the voltage when you left the campsite, as 3.5 hours driving at an average 8 amps from the Alternator will only put back about 30Ah.

If the battery was at 50% DOD when you left then 12.6 would be about right?

That all assumes your voltmeter is accurate and the batteries are under no load, so a true SOC?

Hi Allan

We had the van on hook up the whole of monday evening and night, before visiting Conwy then travelling back on Tuesday afternoon. I didn't measure the voltage between you leaving on Monday lunchtime and when I measured it again this morning. Should the hook up to the EHU on Monday have been enough to recharge the leisure battery to full charge?

If so, then does it look as though we might still have a problem?

Sorry, when I came back to my car after talking to David and Karen your motorhome was gone so I assumed you had checked out.

I explained to you that the 10 amp 'mains charger' was actually a Power Supply for a caravan and not a battery charger, I did suggest you change it when you can for a larger proper mains charger.

With it's low voltage and current, it won't get the batteries fully changed.

We also spoke about the 'new' battery which you thought had run totally flat a couple of times because of the Alternator charging issue, so might be damaged?

So it could be a combination of things, or even something new.

Although we have a 12,66v reading now, we don't know what it was when you left site, so we need a 'Before and After reading'.

Can I suggest you get the battery to full charge, then from a known fully charged voltage, monitor how it discharges when idle?

Thanks Alan

The van's back in storage now so I'll try to do the tests the next time we get it out for the weekend. At some point I've got to dismantle and clean out the grey water system as it is getting slower and slower to drain so I'll aim to do it then.

Thanks again for all your help. I hope you have a great Christmas with your family.

Michael,

It sounds as though your leisure battery is not fully charged so, as I assume you do not have access to a mains supply at your storage location, I would suggest going and removing the leisure battery from your MH and taking it home to fully charge it asap. Leaving it in a partially charged state for any length of time will only further damage it.

Keith.

Thank you Michael, may your Christmas be a great one too.

With this being my last Christmas we intend to make it very, very special.

I never thought I would see October, so a real bonus to be planning and hoping to see Christmas, fingers crossed.

Thank you to everyone for Prayers and best wishes, maybe the power of all that kindness has had a beneficial effect? I certainly feel better than I did in July, so something good is going on.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I've taken the Bosch leisure battery out of the motorhome and connected it up to an intelligent charger for 72 hours. After 4 days of resting the voltage is 12.8 volts.

I then put the original cheap leisure lead acid battery (which I swapped out for the Bosch about 12 months ago) on charge for 72 hours. After 4 days of resting the voltage is 12.8 volts.

From what has been discussed above, would I be correct in saying that the old battery is actually likely to be the healthier of the two?

Archived