What says your Mot about retrofit air suspension?

Monique

This page in the current UK MOT-test inspection manual covers “Fluid/Gas/Air Suspension”

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/m4s02000405.htm

and Section 5.3.5 of the manual that will become operative on May 20 2018 advises as shown here:

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class3457/Section-5-Axles-Wheels-Tyres-and-Suspension.html#section_5.3.5

As I’ve emphasised to you in the past (seemingly without much success) the UK’s MOT-test largely overlooks Type Approval-related factors that are apparently important in your country’s test equivalent.

Consequently, if (say) the UK motorhome manufacturer Auto-Sleepers fits an AL-KO “Air Top” air-bellows system to their models’ rear suspension as part of the conversion process, or I retrofit any make of air-bellows system to my Rapido motorhome’s rear suspension, the UK MOT-test procedure will not discriminate between the two systems. It won’t matter that the A-S system would have been fitted when the motorhome was being built and the other system retrofitted by me - both systems will be treated similarly by the MOT tester.

The UK’s MOT-test is primarily a safety-related vehicle inspection. It’s purpose is NOT to confirm whether a vehicle’s documentation complies with ‘bureaucratic’ regulations like Type Approval.

Derek. Thank you. I was aware about it in theUK. Same as Gas tanks etc. The Mot about air are vary vague for a amateur. But in a sence better than we have in belgium, even more vague. But what is better stipulated that the EEC type approval of the vehicle in last stage is dominant. That is the case if you have any variant of air suspension fitted new, and stipulated on your car documents. Example you order a burstner whit alko- chassis and alko x4 full air. That is the best thing you can do in belgium. Because burstner assure that it can be fitted to their underbody perfectly. AL-Ko has original second multi stage approval. And that is is not the same as a type approval which is required by a retrofitter in belgium. In that case you are in a hell of problems. Because burstner must give approval. I explained this in detail before Derek but it not goes up. A retrofitter is Dunlop And VB air suspension whit type approval and that is not a burocratic thing Derek, It involves many testing on the proto type vehicle and approval of the base manufacturer and burstner. In Belgium it requires a complete new COC car document and plates as being ordered new whit it..And that can be only done by a COP operator, is this cleary understood? Before Euroserve says my comments are irrelevant as ever about his jubilee clips And the discussion about the spring assistor proves that the standard ride height is not understand by the forum.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-05-16 4:18 PM....................And the discussion about the spring assistor proves that the standard ride height is not understand by the forum.

Monique, there is great scope for misunderstanding when translating from one language to another. But, can you please explain what you mean by "standard ride height", because it is not a term I recognise in the context of that discussion? Is this the ex-works ride height (ground clearance) of the unladen vehicle, or what?

The ride height is given in data by a new vehicle in his death weight standing before you in the show room. NOT laden. Like A oil tanker high up. But designed to take the full load to move at the road and the sea. The min is stipulated by hard and soft in the eec approval regarding suspesion and GC= ground clearance. At full axle loads and tyre size inclination i saw only tables from VB air suspenson. Do not worry about this. It is just imagination what happens down under.No body even a truck driver is aware what happens under his truck. Just be on the Move. Life is short dixit last weekend festival. And do not eat too much. *-)

Archived