Nitrogen filled tyres

Deffheads

Come on MH owners, what are your thoughts on nitrogen filled tyres on my motorhome, I've just had 4 new tyres fitted in Spain and had them and the front 2 filled with nitrogen! I know that F1 cars use it and all aircraft tyres do, so why not it cost me nothing and I'm told pressure will not vary or reduce with time and temperature.

Mine are also filled with Nitrogen, well at least they have 78% Nitrogen in them!

So what happens when the pressure is low and you need to add some Nitrogen? You either have to find an outlet with Nitrogen or add a 78% Nitrogen mix (air)!

In my books great for F1 cars but snake oil for everyday use. Sorry but I am not a convert.

Keith.

When they fill the tyres with nitrogen, what about the air already in the tyre?

Since any gas in a given volume will have a pressure change with temperature I suspect the tyre fitter did not pay attention in the physics class.

Mike

mikefitz - 2018-05-25 8:13 PM

When they fill the tyres with nitrogen, what about the air already in the tyre?

Since any gas in a given volume will have a pressure change with temperature I suspect the tyre fitter did not pay attention in the physics class.

Mike

The air in a newly fitted tyre will be at atmospheric pressure and will be compressed into a smaller volume by the nitrogen pumped in under pressure. As that air is already mainly comprised of Nitrogen the amount of Oxygen is very small and apparently Oxy bleeds out through the rubber and ends up back in the atmosphere.

Boyles Law was not found by pumping up tyres. :D

Archived