Best folding chairs

Can anyone help on make of a good chair, currently got Laffuma recliners, great for lying back in the sun but not so good to use to sit at a table and eat. I appreciate, choosing is a personal choice, but advice on good quality and best place to purchase for price and choice would help.

We are in Portugal at the moment and will be travelling from South to up North in the UK on way home so can pop in to most places

Probably not what you are seeking, but we have twice purchased a pair of Aldi reclining chairs; and from a separate source, lightweight folding aluminium leg rests. The arrangement proves very flexible, in that you can use the chairs as chairs at the table, but they also become comfortable loungers using the footrests. And all pack easily into the garage in the back of our PVC.

The reason we have two pairs of Aldi chairs is because they are so good, robust, comfortable and relatively lightweight. The original pair we have had over 12 years and they've travelled everywhere with us. The second pair we use at home in the garden, again with separate leg rests.

Unfortunately, they are only available at certain times of the year, although they may be coming up on promotion in the near future because of the time of year.

But any strong lightweight reclining chair should do the job I guess. And likewise if you do a search for aluminium folding leg rests.

We have found Lafuma to be the lightest. Ones with a PJay leg rest are better, as can be used at table easier. If coming through Spain have alook there, as we bought a light weight one in a shop there, which is very good , but does have the fixed leg rest, which I can not personally get in too, due to doggy knees

PJay

PJay - 2018-05-29 8:18 PM

We have found Lafuma to be the lightest. Ones with a PJay leg rest are better, as can be used at table easier. If coming through Spain have alook there, as we bought a light weight one in a shop there, which is very good , but does have the fixed leg rest, which I can not personally get in too, due to doggy knees

PJay

Please post photo of doggy knees?

We have aging Lafuma champ Elips [see link]. These are light at 3.1kgs and fold very flat. I am probably just the wrong side of the 100 kgs, and my chair knows it and a plastic moulding has failed. Cable ties to the rescue here.

Link to Garden4less

This weekend on friends recomendations, and because of the Bank Holiday special offer we have aquired a pair of the seemingly stronger Isabella Thors, together with the leg rest accessory.

These are rated at 120 kgs, so well in spec, but are heavy at 5.5 kgs and don't fold quite as compactly.

This was a long very considered and technically based purchase, but only time now will tell if it is right, however I am impressed and most importantly my wife is very happy with hers.

https://www.isabella.net/uk/accessories/furniture/details/chair-thor

mikebeaches - 2018-05-29 7:29 PM

Probably not what you are seeking, but we have twice purchased a pair of Aldi reclining chairs...

...in that you can use the chairs as chairs at the table, but they also become comfortable loungers using the footrests. And all pack easily into the garage in the back of our PVC.

The reason we have two pairs of Aldi chairs is because they are so good, robust, comfortable and relatively lightweight. The original pair we have had over 12 years and they've travelled everywhere with us. The second pair we use at home in the garden, again with separate leg rests.

Unfortunately, they are only available at certain times of the year, although they may be coming up on promotion in the near future because of the time of year.

We also have Aldi's folding chairs and find them great for both relaxing and sitting upright at a table, unlike other chairs where you are far too low to sit at a table. You just have to hope Aldi have them on offer again soon.

Keith.

Hi Mikey, when we needed to purchase two fold up chairs we went along to the camping store and sat in every chair we could find. The one we both found the most comfortable was our choice. We found that there is a compromise, the most comfortable lounge chair is not the best to sit in upright to eat at an outdoor table. As we lounge for longer that it takes us to eat we choice the most comfortable lounge version. Sorry can not help you with brands unless you find a blue chair branded "Oz design"! .cheers, Gary

• 1 month later...

I know its a while since you asked this question, but I too was looking for the perfect(for me) motorhome chair lounger. I've just taken delivery of one that fits the bill. Its the San Remo made by Outdoor Revolution.

It has(bought as an extra) a detatchable leg support that turns it into a full recliner.

Brilliant!

I’ve just bought one of these to test out. It’s light and folds fairly flat

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caravan-Furniture-Kampa-Tealicious-Luxury-Chair-FT0350/123026337381?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

It will be matched to one of these for reclining purposes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kampa-Firenze-Footrest-Suits-Comfort-Luxury-Luxury-Plus-The-Lounge-Chairs/122708686652?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

There are a number of different models of varying quality of the same chair ranging from £30-80 that I have seen. The version shown has a plastic canvas base to sit on with an adjustable head cushion. It looks comfortable enough to eat at our table sitting in it. Currently been using ALDI camping chairs but they fall between 2 stools a comfortable recliner and a functional seat for the table.

Tracker - 2018-07-06 3:13 PM

The best chairs are not only comfortable but easy to store in the available space which is why we opted for something similar to these.

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/9278321

Up until a few weeks ago i had one identical to that made by Vango. Main reason i bought was it just fitted with a squeeze in my back box. As i discovered they have a weak spot....the arms, where each time you get up you put weight/strain on that piece of bar. Eventually it just gives way and snaps making the chair useless.

Argos describing them as 'steel' is wrong though......they are all aluminium.

Bulletguy - 2018-07-06 5:14 PM

The best chairs are not only comfortable but easy to store in the available space which is why we opted for something similar to these.

Up until a few weeks ago i had one identical to that made by Vango. Main reason i bought was it just fitted with a squeeze in my back box. As i discovered they have a weak spot....the arms, where each time you get up you put weight/strain on that piece of bar. Eventually it just gives way and snaps making the chair useless.

Ours are steel and we have had them for 15 years having bought them cheap in a cheapo shop in Bude. Apart from having to replace one aluminium rivet (with a steel bolt) they are still OK, but getting a bit tired now - like me!

The arms have never broken - must be the way you use 'em!!

Tracker - 2018-07-06 5:45 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-07-06 5:14 PM

Ours are steel and we have had them for 15 years having bought them cheap in a cheapo shop in Bude. Apart from having to replace one aluminium rivet (with a steel bolt) they are still OK, but getting a bit tired now - like me!

The arms have never broken - must be the way you use 'em!!

That surprises me then as not only do they appear to be aluminium in the photo, all i've seen in that design are aluminium. In fact the site i'm on now has a contingent of Scouts from Belgium and there are a number with the identical type chair...but like mine was, the frames are aluminium.

I really hate to give you this awful shock - but they were available in either steel or aluminium.

The steel ones tended to be cheaper and as weight was not a problem as we were not carrying them any distance there seemed little point in paying any more than I had to so two for a tenner seemed fair at the time!

We have had Iightweight adjustable chairs with seperate leg rests but they are years old and the odd rivet needs replacing now and again but last week we went to Home Bargains store and could not believe our eyes, they had 2 shades, black or beige reclineing all in one adjust to almost lying prone and they were only £22.99 each. steel so sturdy but not too heavy.you just pull on the arms and they adjust up or down.Great, Fesspark

Archived