95bhp on a Merc Sprinter SWB auto - enough oomph to convert?

markek

The engine in my A Class MH, which has a gross weight of 3,900 kg, was uprated (by remapping) from under 150bhp to 170bhp, which is plenty for towing a car on a trailer.Depending on what your van's gross weight will be and whether you anticipate towing, 95bhp might be a bit under-powered.

Mark,

As well as looking at engine power I think you need to look at available payload for your build.

A quick look at 210 CDi specs seems to imply that you may only have 750 to 850 kg of total available payload for your build and all add ons!

This may be possible but may also very easily run into being overweight which is a very serious offence. You will need to get the van you are looking at weighed before you buy it and then check against its VIN plate for its Maximum GVW, the difference will be the weight you have to play with.

Keith.

PS It may be possible to get it re-plated to a higher GVW but this may involve modifications and/or new tyres.

My 3500Kg and it's 84BHP diesel Motorhome (Autotrail Tracker) has been up and down most of the 'hills' in Western Europe and Scandinavia.

However for the first time last year I got to the top of one of the Alpine passes in Switzerland and breathed a sigh of relief....so an extra 10 BHP, and the extra torque, would be a benefit.

Most will suggest that much higher figures are required.(lol)

For a comparison.

One of our previous motorhomes was a 2006 pre-facelift Fiat Ducato 2.0 litre, with (84 or 86hp) rated 3300kg MTPML & Bessacarr E410 low profile coachbuilt body (c18'6" long, 9' high).

Maintaining speed in hilly terrain required frequent gear changing.

It could maintain 65/70mph on motorways, but that would impact fuel consumption figures significantly, compared with cruising 60/65mph.

My concern would be - ex Mobility doesn't give any indication of what modifications have been made, can they be removed without compromising the vehicles integrity. If they can't be removed what is their weight impact ?

I.e. mobility modifications can range from lightweight hand controls (easily removed) to very heavy wheelchair lifts & associated equipment, where the original vehicle has been cut to accomodate. (Can be very difficult/expensive to remove & require restructuring the vehicle)

breakaleg - 2018-06-05 2:51 PM

it's more about the journey than how quick you get there.

Pete

Absolutely :-D

The holiday should begin as soon as you leave home.

I'm happy to take a month to get to Benidorm, a week there, and a month to get back :-D

If I wanted to get there and back quick I'd fly.

"Oomph" aside, if it is/was a "motability" vehicle, is it a minibus?..if so, is it also worth looking into whether or not such vehicles may've had a lower final drive ratio..?

(They may not, but worth considering....?)

Also, IF it is a fully windowed minibus, then as that will dictate the style of layout and the amount of furniture that you're likely to shoehorn in anyway, hopefully that will help to negating any possible lack of payload?

(our first coachbuilt - 2007 X250 Compass - was only 100hp and that was surprising "perky"..although could run out of puff on long inclines... :$ )

Thanks all for comments.

Still researchng / mulling.

One Q plsr re rocknroll bed: are there specific fixing points or if a suitable stress plate is used, can this be fitted where most desired?

markek - 2018-06-06 12:22 PM

Thanks all for comments.

Still researchng / mulling.

One Q plsr re rocknroll bed: are there specific fixing points or if a suitable stress plate is used, can this be fitted where most desired?

Hi

I doubt very much that there will be any OE fixing points that were designed to attach a rock'n'roll bed.

As you say, suitable "stress", spreader plates/brackets would seem to be the way they go..

I'd like to think that the manufacturers and sellers of the decent,crash-tested R'n'R beds, would be able to fill you in as to what is required to mount their products..and what hoops you may need to jump through, re: "Officialdom"..?

(edit- I have assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the R'n'R bed will have seatbelts seats?)

If you haven't already done so, it'd be worth you checking out(signing up to?) - http://sbmcc.co.uk/forums/

Archived