dometic roof vent

fesspark

anyone know how to lift a dometic fixed roof cowl,40 x 40cm top off,its the one over the fridge/freezer. it has a small gromit on each of the 4 sides but I cannot move them to see if that is the lock.it has no obvious clip to lift it off. fesspark

the cowl is a fixed one as it is normally over the fridge freezer unit,but in this case there is a small cupboard above the freezer below the mini heki FIXED cowl,there is no opening skylight in this case. Thankyou both for trying to help. Fesspark

fesspark - 2018-06-28 10:01 PM

Thankyou nothing like there, they are opening vens this is fixed,Fesspark

Should be the same as an opening one. It still has to fill the hole.We have fitted 2 roof lights in our van. The one in the toilet, had to be replaced. Did it from the inside We had the roof air con removed , so had to put a

window in the hole Both done from the inside. The old toilet one had to be removed (Obviously) which again was done from the inside. Take any screws out of the edge frame if any Most outer frames are just clipped on The vent is usually fixed in place with some form of water sealing tape.

PJay

Thank you P JAY, you are a genius, spot on thats it,all I have to do now is find out how to lift it off, I think the 4 solid grumits around the edge play a big part. will now check with the supplier,many many thanks, fesspark

Alanb - 2018-06-28 7:43 AM

If its any help, both of my HEKI opening rooflights are fixed from inside the vehicle. With the 400 x 400 model you have to unclip the internal surround to expose the clamping screws.

Alan

Alanb - 2018-06-28 10:13 PM

Does this give any clues?

https://www.motorhomeandcaravanaccessories.co.uk/burstner/roof-vent-416

Alan

PJay - 2018-06-28 10:20 PM

Should be the same as an opening one. It still has to fill the hole.We have fitted 2 roof lights in our van. The one in the toilet, had to be replaced. Did it from the inside We had the roof air con removed , so had to put a

window in the hole Both done from the inside. The old toilet one had to be removed (Obviously) which again was done from the inside. Take any screws out of the edge frame if any Most outer frames are just clipped on The vent is usually fixed in place with some form of water sealing tape.

PJay

fesspark - 2018-06-29 4:26 AM

Thank you P JAY, you are a genius, spot on thats it,all I have to do now is find out how to lift it off, I think the 4 solid grumits around the edge play a big part. will now check with the supplier,many many thanks, fesspark

????????????????????????

Alan

fesspark - 2018-06-28 9:02 PM

Surely someone out there in the forum has knowledge of these and how you remove the lid? Fesspark

Whatever ‘roof vent’ your near-new Burstner 680G motorhome has, it won’t be a Dometic Mini-HEKI as these are openable rooflights - in fact, I’m not aware of any transparent/translucent ‘fixed’ rooflight made by Dometic. If you can identify the make/model of the ‘vent’, there are probably installation instructions on-line.

it is a burstner roof-vent 416,an air vent that was put in to be above the small highrise cooker, they have now put the cooker lowdown on the other side of the van and above the fridge freezer is a cupboard for what ever, the vent is in the top of there, so no longer required I would not think. but I am not getting rid of it for warrant y reasons.If you know how PLEASE LET ME KNOW Fesspark

See ALAN B 29/6 just before this and the there is a pictue on theCamperuk web and the vent is shown in 3 sections I want to see if I can remove the Lid and lower it slightly as it is just catching my snipe sat dish when it rottates,Fesspark

Now that we have the reason for the request, I suggest investigating Keith's suggestion to raise the sat dish.

In general rooflights have only a thin layer of sealant between them and the roof. That does not leave much scope for lowering the rooflight. Different roof void spaces can be accommodated by the clamping mechanism, but this does not allow lowering the whole assembly.

You could of course remove the whole assembly, and fit cover plates, but that would have serious aesthetic impact, as well as possible sealing problems. Not recommended.

Alan

fesspark - 2018-06-30 12:16 PM

it is a burstner roof-vent 416,an air vent that was put in to be above the small highrise cooker, they have now put the cooker lowdown on the other side of the van and above the fridge freezer is a cupboard for what ever, the vent is in the top of there, so no longer required I would not think. but I am not getting rid of it for warranty reasons. If you know how PLEASE LET ME KNOW Fesspark

The vent.....or the van is under warranty?

Stupid question but whichever is under warranty, why not let whoever fitted it sort it out? :-S

Firstly this roof vent is not a roof light ,it is a vent that is not used on this model,,mainly for exhaust from the overhead cooker that is not fitted on the 680T L .the m,ome is under warranty,only 4 weeks old ,but it is hard nowdays very difficult to get warranty jobs done due to selling too many m,homes. so to ask for anything outside that would be impossible. Fesspark

fesspark - 2018-06-30 4:59 PM

Firstly this roof vent is not a roof light ,it is a vent that is not used on this model,,mainly for exhaust from the overhead cooker that is not fitted on the 680T L .the m,ome is under warranty,only 4 weeks old ,but it is hard nowdays very difficult to get warranty jobs done due to selling too many m,homes. so to ask for anything outside that would be impossible. Fesspark

OK so assuming the sat dish was on the van when you purchased (??) the seller should have checked this out and it's their duty to correct it, not yours.

Looking at the photos of the vent on the link Alan provided, it’s plain how the thing’s base is attached to the roof - but it’s not clear how the top ‘cover’ is attached to the base. Whatever method is used to attach the cover, there’s nil chance that the cover’s height above the roof can be lowered.

having spent a week weighing the do,s and dont,s I,v come to the conclusion that the easiest solution is highering the dish a little, what I will need is larger screw bolts that match the thread of the base and a lightweight plastic base drilled out to match the bolts. Good suggestion, thanks Fesspark.

I notice that there’s an eBay advert for a roof-vent that resembles the one discussed above and is said to have been used by Hymer in the past.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-SMALL-ROOF-VENT-WHITE-/172877336502

The photos suggest that the ‘dome’ just clips on to the 4 extensions on the sides of the base and that removal of the dome would involve just pulling its edges sideways to unclip it from the base.

Archived