What’s this switch

Igglepiggle

Igglepiggle - 2018-07-01 7:54 PM

“The loose connector”

There are 2 wires that appear to have been disconnected from the switch. A brown and a white you can just about see them in the top right hand corner of picture.

Sorry, missed the brown wire lurking behind..

That looks like it belongs on the 'piggy back' terminal of the front right with the brown wire.

To explain, when the switch is pressed one way you get Red to White and Green to Brown.

Press it the other way and you then get Red to Brown and Green to White.

Thanks for all the replies,

I’m new to motor homes and interested in how the batteries charge, I’ve got 2 batteries under the drivers seat, I presume one is the vehicle start battery and the other the habitation battery, does the vehicle alternator charge the habitation battery simultaneously with the start battery?

Igglepiggle - 2018-07-01 8:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies,

I’m new to motor homes and interested in how the batteries charge, I’ve got 2 batteries under the drivers seat, I presume one is the vehicle start battery and the other the habitation battery, does the vehicle alternator charge the habitation battery simultaneously with the start battery?

Ford Transits may have an auxiliary battery to supply radio etc, and preserve the starter battery for starting. In this case the habitation battery will be under the passenger seat. (This situation has applied to several Transit based PVCs rented in NZ.) As you suggest, the vehicle alternator charges both batteries, as well as supplying the vehicle systems when the engine is running.

The charging of the habitation battery is effected by a split charge relay or similar device. The split charge relay operates when the alternator starts to generate, and connects the habitation battery in parallel with the starter battery. Historically the split charge relay was operated from the alternator field circuit D+ terminal. Modern vehicles with ECU controlled alternators may require a dedicated ECU output to replace the D+ connection.

The split charge relay is frequently incorporated in the MH 12V control unit.

Alan

Igglepiggle - 2018-07-01 7:39 PM

So I’ve taken a look underneath. Pics attached

Any ideas

After examining both photos, I am intrigued, but that does not answer the question posed.

Keith has suggested, IN and OUT control, etc, etc. May I elaborate by suggesting LOCK / UNLOCK, but in this case, what function does the relay board provide?

Alan

Is the LED connected to the circuit board or does it perform a totally seperate function, ie trailer flasher?

And are there any markings on the circuit board or was it in a case of any kind?

Finally can you trace the other two bundles of wires leaving the circuit board and see where they go?

Keith.

Just a thought? I had a similar query when I first joined this forum. Not so much the switch - but the LED. After our first trip the LED was on continuously. It turned out to be an indicator to say that the rear steadies were down. We had tried them & I had not wound them all the way home so the microswitch had not been closed. Took about 2 months to solve the problem! 

Unless the corner steadies are motorised I doubt the switch or led would relate to them?

I'm not sure why you would want a three way switch if it related to a cycle rack alarm loop - wouldn't a simple on or off switch suffice?

Have you asked the person you bought it from?

The previous owner's name and address might be on the V5, they might know?

As you now know the colour and thickness of the wires, they must get power from somewhere, and presumably have a fuse, either in line, from a fusebox or the Electrobloc controller.

As it is an extra feature, have a look for any non standard items.

As Keith has pointed out the switch is connected as a reversing switch, The switch is I think a centre biased 2 pole changeover switch.

This means that the controlled device is powered when the switch is pressed. Together with the reversing action (again as Keith has suggested) this strongly suggests a motor operated device.

In a MH the following motor operated devices may be present.

1. Step.

2. Powered raising rooflight.

3. Satellite dish.

4. Powered drop down bed

5. Electric cab windows.

6. Door lock motors.

7. Powered steadies.

8. Adjustable headlights.

9. Powered rear view mirrors.

10 Any other suggestions?

The presence of the LED suggests that the operated position of the controlled device needs to be indicated to the driver. This requirement is more likely to required by items 1 to 3 above, but I would expect the sattelite dish to have its own control system.

The reversing action and size of the switch suggest that it was intended to control a motor operated device directly. What then do the relays do, and how is the LED controlled?

A circuit could be devised using the switch, relays and LED, to control and provide indication for a powered step, including the auto retract function, but why do it this way?

Is it possible that the previous owner was disabled, and had a slide out step fitted at the driver's door, and this has been removed?

Please Igglepiggle, do let the forum know, when you find the truth of the matter.

Alan

Well I finally got round to tracing the wires for this switch, followed them from the switch to where they disappeared under the floor, stuck my head underneath the Motorhome and there was the 4 wires that had been cleanly cut from what ever they use to be wired to.

I’ve now tidied up the wiring and disconnected it from where it had been spliced into the ignition wires.

Thanks to every one that contributed to this thread.

Thanks for letting the Forum know what you found. A very sound action to remove superfluous wiring, as it could be a potential cause of trouble.

In conclusion, I think that the removed item was probably an electric step. What other reversible item would you find under a motorhome?

Alan

Archived