Dometic 7651 not working on gas

davidmac

Hi I am away off grid and after three days fridge has stopped working on gas. Led indicator light glows orange. Book says flashing orange is a gas fault but nothing about steady light. Any suggestions as to what the fault is and how to fix it most welcome

I filled the gas cylinders at Toddington services Wednesday so have plenty of gas

Regards David

Sounds like dirty gas jet , burner and flu, possibly the thermocouple needs a clean too ? my fridge freezer failed in France a couple of weeks ago , lost all the food, it was in the 30s , tried to manage a week without the fridge but gave up after a week and came home , went to my local Electrolux agent in Romsey Hants and had the fridge inspected, dead he said and the parts are unavailable as the fridge is at least 14 years old,and obsolete, so a new one is on order £1500 plus, all electrolux parts are now sourced from Germany and where before could be got in a couple of days locally ,it now takes at least 2 weeks, so waiting for a new one to be delivered, to add to the fun, the old fridge will not go out through the habitation door nor will the new one come in that way, so I have had to remove the table and the front passenger seat so the fridges can pass through the front of the van,[ Chausson lowline,] common problem with vans it seems, but hey ho it all adds to the fun ?

Hopefully this may help, we've just returned from a months trip in northern Germany, the Baltic area, where believe it or not our fridge refused to work on gas. Luckily enough we had internet access, to cut the story short I found that there are 2 types of thermocouple's, the old type that the liquid inside expanded and opened the gas valve, and the new type (ours) which is electric, apply heat to it and a voltage appears at the valve end.Anyway here's a couple of sites I found to sort it out, I actually purchased a new thermocouple whilst in German, and installed it, (I'm sure the thermocouple that I took out is still ok, so I now have a spare) but no difference until I found these sites, they are in German, but i'm sure you'll get the picture.

good luck
Alan

Had a similar problem last year and the local Motorhome Dealer (approved Dometic repairer) said that after talking to Dometic Technical my 7 Series fridge/freezer was beyond repair. The dealer quoted £2350 to fit an 8 series fridge as 7 Series are obsolete.

I declined and brought the van home. It took me 10 minutes to find the electrical fault that caused the Fridge to fail on Gas and an hours work to clean the Burner and rod the Flu clean. I only let the "experts" have the van in the first place because I thought they could give it a good check over as it had never been properly serviced or examined.

I no longer have faith in Dealers generally. :-(

Hi things happen in threes. Planned trip was Assen last weekend for the MotoGP LeMans next weekend for the classic . Got back to the campsite Saturday tof find a flyaway gazebo wrapped around the front of the motor home . Radio Ariel broken and a few small scratches being on my own the conversation with the six thirty somethings who owned the gazebo didn’t have a positive outcome. Sunday morning discovered the fridge wasn’t working , hey- ho I can manage. Monday set off for Tournai to overnight in the aire there stopped for a coffee and when I started off thought dosnt seem to pull all that well but then might just be me . Set off this morning sluggish on acceleration and noticed engine management light on. Found somewhere to stop looked in the book could be injector fault or exhaust problem engine in low power mode. With seven hundred or so miles to do if I continued my trip decided to go home. So here I am on the ferry after paying forty five pounds to rebook. There’s a good caravan engineer in a nearby village to home so hopefully he can sort out the fridge and the local sprinter people can sort the motor. Thanks for all your repies.

Regards David

Given that the gas LED is permantly lit, the fault may be electronic, or even just a bad connection.

In common with other series of fridges, the ignitor device also monitors the flame, and since it has only 3 wires to the control panel, I would speculate that it controls the LED, the other two wires being presumably thermostat controlled supply, and -ve return.

Also if the ionisation electrode is eroded, or has a connection fault it may fail to detect the flame.......

WARNING The ignitor and ionisation detector use potentially LETHAL voltages. Disconnect the "permanent" 12V supply to the fridge before working on these components.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi m/h has been to a garage today to get the engine fault sorted. Invoice says it was a fault with the hot air mass sensor. Adjusted and reset it runs well now and at £234 probably not too bad for a Merc garage. Hope to get a good result when the guy comes to fix the fridge next week.

Regards David

Archived