A bad day in Brexit land today

Barryd999

pelmetman - 2018-07-22 11:47 AM

Brian Kirby - 2018-07-22 10:24 AM

pelmetman - 2018-07-21 7:21 AM

Brian Kirby - 2018-07-20 4:31 PM

Does Germany seek to advantage Germany in its involvement with the EU institutions? Of course, but so do the other member states.

I'm glad you admit it >:-) ...............and what chance do other states like the UK have of influencing decisions when all the EU top jobs are held by Germans? *-) ..........

Really? Which Germans are in which EU top jobs?

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-selmayr-problem-too-many-germans-in-top-jobs/

http://www.atimes.com/article/really-runs-european-union-germany-thats/

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Germany-disproportionately-powerful-in-the-EU-Germany-is-the-largest-economy-in-the-EU-and-has-the-most-population-However-its-economy-only-accounts-for-21-of-the-EU-GDP-while-it-seems-to-have-become-an-undoubted-leader-of-Europe

It's not just me who thinks so ;-) .........

Even our former ambassador to Germany thinks so >:-) ..........

https://www.ibtauris.com/books/society%20%20social%20sciences/politics%20%20government/international%20relations/international%20institutions/berlin%20rules%20europe%20and%20the%20german%20way

But all those reports point to is over-representation which, now it has been pointed out, it will become more difficult for any country (including Germany) to achieve in future. I would also point out that the man who was apparently responsible for the appointment of Selmayr, Jean-Claude Juncker, is in fact a Luxembourger and not German, so the inference of a German plot to appoint Germans to the top jobs falls a bit flat.

Skidelsky's article in the AT is interesting - did you read it? It lays out neatly why Germany dominates, and is a good model for the UK to adopt - if only! :-(

The other pieces merely reiterate German over-representation within the EU.

So, what one is left with is that German politicians further the interests of Germany: surprise, surprise. What are they supposed to do? Prejudice German's interests? It is a country that works as a team, in a way that the other EU states in general do not. Any of the other states could do likewise if they'd just stop scrapping among themselves, look at Germany, and buckle down.

You have similar views about benefits claimants - that they just need to get out, find work, and knuckle down. Yet, when the claimant is an EU country you blame the Germans, who are successful, for the failures of others. That is an oddly Corbynist position to take, that it is the successful who are to blame for the failings of the unsuccessful.

But, in none of those articles does anyone argue that Germany actually runs the EU, just that it has greater influence than its size justifies. That is more apparent in the Euro group, where Germany does gain unreasonable advantage, but even there if the other states would get their acts together, they could correct the advantages that the Euro gives Germany.

Mainly, it's influence arises because it is the biggest net contributor with the biggest economy. But, politically, whatever Germany proposes can still comfortably be rejected if the other states don't like it. So, while I accept the facts, I reject the idea that Germany runs the EU for its own benefit. To the extent that it does, it is because the other 27 states allow it to do so. Germany cannot dictate, it has to persuade.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-23 11:43 AM

You have similar views about benefits claimants - that they just need to get out, find work, and knuckle down.

He seems to have forgotten that some years back he'd broadcast on the forum that his tax credits "pays his wine bill"... *-)

Guest pelmetman

So, what one is left with is that German politicians further the interests of Germany: surprise, surprise. What are they supposed to do? Prejudice German's interests?

So like I said.......Germany runs the EU for it's benefit ;-) ..............

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-07-23 3:28 PM

You have similar views about benefits claimants - that they just need to get out, find work, and knuckle down.

He seems to have forgotten that some years back he'd broadcast on the forum that his tax credits "pays his wine bill"... *-)

Still got those files on me eh Pepe? >:-) ...........

How many years ago was that? :-S ............

It's true though they did cover my wine bill >:-) ........

Just goes to show how easy it is to legitimately claim benefits *-) .........

Didn't claim them for long though as I'm not a natural scrounger, I was more surprised by the fact I qualified 8-) ............

Just searched my threads.......

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Is-the-benefit-system-to-generous-/20021/

Blimey 8 years ago 8-) ...........Nice to know your files are so comprehensive ;-) .........

Some might think your stalking me >:-).............

pelmetman - 2018-07-23 3:32 PM

So, what one is left with is that German politicians further the interests of Germany: surprise, surprise. What are they supposed to do? Prejudice German's interests?

No Dave. Germany is an active and influential member of the EU, through which it seeks to maximise the benefits to Germany, with the agreement of the other 27 members.

That is nowhere near "running" the EU. Why do you think any countries joined? Why did Britain join? For national benefit, or what?

You object to the UK being a net contributor (despite the fact that being, as you are so prone to boasting, the fifth largest economy in the world, it is virtually inevitable that we would be a net contributor), because there is a net outflow of money to the EU. You don't like Germany being top dog because, apparently (if I understood your earlier post correctly) they are called Germany.

Read the Skidelsky piece in the AT you linked to above, and then tell me whether, if Britain had done as Germany did since the end of WW2, we should now be better off as a country, with better distribution of our national wealth, than we are. That we didn't, is whose fault? Ours or Germany's? So why blame Germany and the whole of the EU for something Britain has done to itself? It's not as though Germany did all that in secret, so we couldn't tell what they were doing.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-07-23 4:03 PM

pelmetman - 2018-07-23 3:32 PM

No Dave. Germany is an active and influential member of the EU, through which it seeks to maximise the benefits to Germany, with the agreement of the other 27 members.

That is nowhere near "running" the EU. Why do you think any countries joined? Why did Britain join? For national benefit, or what?

You object to the UK being a net contributor (despite the fact that being, as you are so prone to boasting, the fifth largest economy in the world, it is virtually inevitable that we would be a net contributor), because there is a net outflow of money to the EU. You don't like Germany being top dog because, apparently (if I understood your earlier post correctly) they are called Germany.

Read the Skidelsky piece in the AT you linked to above, and then tell me whether, if Britain had done as Germany did since the end of WW2, we should now be better off as a country, with better distribution of our national wealth, than we are. That we didn't, is whose fault? Ours or Germany's? So why blame Germany and the whole of the EU for something Britain has done to itself? It's not as though Germany did all that in secret, so we couldn't tell what they were doing.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree over who runs the EU :-| ............

Although it's looking increasingly possible the question will become moot :D ........

'It is not yet decided' Merkel's BLEAK response to whether the EU can SAVE itself

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/992101/Angela-Merkel-EU-migration-crisis-Europe

Hi,

I am fed up with people telling me why I voted to leave. They don't know, but it helps their argument to pretend they know why..

I voted for my reasons, you voted for your reasons. Eight percent (Approx) more people voted to leave, than voted to stay. The Remoaners claim that was a small majority. It was enough.

There was no right or wrong way to vote, unless you have a crystal ball. All we can do is to live with the result, and make it work. If you don't think you are up to it, feel free to remain somewhere else ... but you will probably find your UK qualifications are not worth the English paper they are written on. Check out the acceptability of UK nursing qualifications in France.

Remember, it was France who invaded England last ... if you discount the Welsh invasion what done for Dicky 3. Googling JEMIMA THE GREAT should bring a smile to your face.

The Prime Minister has not only had to fight Britain's corner in the EU, she has also had to fend off the Fifth Columnists who should be helping her (Form a truce, win the battle, then hold a Dutch auction).

English? To most people in the world, England and Great Britain are the same place. England must be the only country without a Parliament. The Scots and Welsh have a Parliament. So ... if we do finish up as Billy No Mates, what should we call ourselves? I suggest "Angles" Any other suggestions.

I see that England no longer has a flag that is acceptable to everyone. Maybe a white cross on a white background would be acceptable to the Remoaners?

W3526602 - 2018-07-23 6:00 PM

Hi,

I am fed up with people telling me why I voted to leave. They don't know, but it helps their argument to pretend they know why..

I voted for my reasons, you voted for your reasons. Eight percent (Approx) more people voted to leave, than voted to stay. The Remoaners claim that was a small majority. It was enough.

There was no right or wrong way to vote, unless you have a crystal ball. All we can do is to live with the result, and make it work. If you don't think you are up to it, feel free to remain somewhere else ... but you will probably find your UK qualifications are not worth the English paper they are written on. Check out the acceptability of UK nursing qualifications in France.

Remember, it was France who invaded England last ... if you discount the Welsh invasion what done for Dicky 3. Googling JEMIMA THE GREAT should bring a smile to your face.

The Prime Minister has not only had to fight Britain's corner in the EU, she has also had to fend off the Fifth Columnists who should be helping her (Form a truce, win the battle, then hold a Dutch auction).

English? To most people in the world, England and Great Britain are the same place. England must be the only country without a Parliament. The Scots and Welsh have a Parliament. So ... if we do finish up as Billy No Mates, what should we call ourselves? I suggest "Angles" Any other suggestions.

I see that England no longer has a flag that is acceptable to everyone. Maybe a white cross on a white background would be acceptable to the Remoaners?

The true flag of England is a white dragon on a red background and the true patron saint of England is St. Edmund martyred by the Danes not St. George who was foisted on us by the Normans. Pre EU.

:D :D

Hi,

Why does it seem that a "No Deal" is always refered to a a "Hard Brexit"?

A SOFT Brexit is where the EU agrees to all our requests.

A HARD Brexit is where the EU denies all our requests, and we have to fight every inch of the way ... win some, lose some.

A NO DEAL is what it says on the tin. It might be good, it might be bad ... nobody knows.

We have been in the Common Market fot 40 years, but a lot less in the EU. ... but let's assume it's also 40 years. How did me manage to reach the situation, in 40 years, where we have astronomical commitments to future projects ... from which THEY will benefit, but we won't... if we leave. Who decided that we would be able to produce the cash when demanded, if we stayed in the EU. Who is continuing to think up more schemes that will become obligations against our future incomes.

Many years ago, I took advantage of a Business Start-up Grant. Part of my Business Plan required me to list my living expenses. I was required to specify what my holidays would cost. That was easy, if I make a lot of money, I will take expensive holidays. If I don't make much money, I won't go on holiday. That was NOT an acceptable answer ... but I suspect that is the way a lot of people live.

The EU will expect you to pay your share, in their project, whether you can afford it or not. They will expect you to pay your share, even when THEY can't afford it.

W3526602 - 2018-07-26 6:11 PM

Many years ago, I took advantage of a Business Start-up Grant. Part of my Business Plan required me to list my living expenses. I was required to specify what my holidays would cost. That was easy, if I make a lot of money, I will take expensive holidays. If I don't make much money, I won't go on holiday. That was NOT an acceptable answer ... but I suspect that is the way a lot of people live.

The EU will expect you to pay your share, in their project, whether you can afford it or not. They will expect you to pay your share, even when THEY can't afford it.

I've no idea quite where you're going with this? :-S

Business start-up grants were government funded and would naturally need to know your living cost in pretty much the same way as a bank would when applying for a mortgage. I cannot really see how anyone could state cost of holidays though.....other than guesstimates which all would do.

What's the EU 'project'? Have i missed something?? The EU doesn't control our taxation.....UK Gov does, but isn't particularly interested in chasing up the many 'non-doms' paying not one penny in tax, or multi-billion £ industries moving money around to dodge tax. UK Gov concentrate their efforts on whacking the 'prollies' with punitive tax measures to fund the lifestyle of the super rich and wealthy.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-07-27 2:26 PM

Business start-up grants were government funded and would naturally need to know your living cost in pretty much the same way as a bank would when applying for a mortgage. I cannot really see how anyone could state cost of holidays though.....other than guesstimates which all would do.

Yet its OK for Remoaner "experts" to guess what will happen to the UK after Brexit and present it as gospel

*-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-07-27 2:43 PM

Yet its OK for Remoaner "experts" to guess what will happen to the UK after Brexit and present it as gospel

Get with it......your Brexit 'nirvana' is in ruins. Government cannot deliver the undeliverable, the 'coalition of chaos' propped up by billions in bribe money to the DUP, and now scrapping among themselves. (lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-07-27 3:32 PM

Get with it......your Brexit 'nirvana' is in ruins. Government cannot deliver the undeliverable, the 'coalition of chaos' propped up by billions in bribe money to the DUP, and now scrapping among themselves. (lol)(lol)(lol)(lol)

My Nirvana is...... No Deal ;-) ..........

It appears all your Remoaner bitching may actually help deliver it >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-07-27 3:44 PM

It appears all your Remoaner bitching may actually help deliver it >:-) ........

Wouldnt it be the funniest ... They've fought for 2 years to stop it and have a soft Brexit but they might well end up helping us racists get a hard no deal ... Youve gotta laugh ... At them mostly

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-07-27 5:41 PM

Wouldnt it be the funniest ... They've fought for 2 years to stop it and have a soft Brexit but they might well end up helping us racists get a hard no deal ... Youve gotta laugh ... At them mostly

I'll count my chickens on the 29/03/2019 ;-) .......

But so far they seem to be achieving what we want by accident B-)............

pelmetman - 2018-07-27 5:53 PM

Wheres Gina Miller when ya want her ... Prolly writing chapter 24 of the book

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-07-27 5:56 PM

She is their new Messiah :D .........I wonder if its called....."How to convert the nonbelievers"..........

If it is, I suspect she's about 1400 years to late and guilty of plagiarism (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-07-27 6:11 PM

antony1969 - 2018-07-27 5:56 PM

She is their new Messiah :D .........I wonder if its called....."How to convert the nonbelievers"..........

If it is, I suspect she's about 1400 years to late and guilty of plagiarism (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Thankfully I cant be converted ... Unlike some ... A cheap takeaway and their anyones

No soft Brexit for me thanks, I want to stop Brexit or at least get the public to stop it. Soft Brexit is pointless and anyone that still thinks crashing out with no deal or a "hard Brexit" is a good thing is either stark raving bonkers or Jacob Reek Smug.

Barryd999 - 2018-07-28 11:34 AM

No soft Brexit for me thanks, I want to stop Brexit or at least get the public to stop it. Soft Brexit is pointless and anyone that still thinks crashing out with no deal or a "hard Brexit" is a good thing is either stark raving bonkers or Jacob Reek Smug.

While your at ya whingey best and wanting to overturn democracy can you have a look at the world cup loss to Croatia by England in the semi-final ... I didn't care for the result

Archived