Habitation Service

equitable

Hi,

What is a reasonable price to pay for a habitation check on a three year old van conversion motorhome, with a dometic fridge, gas hob, truma gas/elec boiler etc. I have been quoted from £350 to over £450 with a waiting list of two to three months.

The dealer I bought our used van a couple of years ago quotes

From £160.00 for a van conversion motorhome

From £180.00 for a coach built motorhome

From £200.00 for an 'A' class or tag axle motorhome

all excluding VAT

They are in Bracknell.

I believe you may get more responses from seasoned m/homers on the "motorhome matters" thread,

Veronica

Unless you need a habitation service for warranty purposes, I wouldn't spend my hard earned cash on one.

The exceptions would be for a damp test (and you can buy your own meter) and a gas safety check (which my friendly central heating man does). Other than that, I would expect around £150 - £200 - not including any remedial work.

However, have a look at a habitation check list and you'll see that 90% is things that you can check yourself.

Top whack dealers can charge £90 per hour plus VAT and take three and a half hours to do a thorough job. They may charge more if you need a damp check to comply with any warranty.

A three month waiting list is not unusual if the dealer is selling vans like hot cakes because these will have to be prepped. If you didn't buy the van from the dealer, the dealer will be in no rush to service your van. I've always booked in my motorhome two months beforehand.

How much you are willing to pay depends on how confident/willing you are to do some of the work yourself. Some motorhomers do not have an annual habitation check. Check your insurance though as the insurer may have requirements for gas and electric checks. I have little idea how my van works so I am willing to pay for a thorough job but not £450.

The MCEA can be good value:

https://www.mobilecaravanengineers.co.uk

There is also the Approved Workshop Scheme although I have become sceptical of that.

My local 'mobile' engineer charges £150 for full service and comprehensive damp test.

Refrigerator is extra.

He is incredibly thorough and doesn't miss a thing covering about 40+ checks.

I have my own damp meter as a casual check but he checks about 60 points.

New water pump this year supplied and fitted for the normal retail price.

PS. I tend to book a couple of months before as he does get busy at certain times.

PSS!. It takes 3 to 4 hours.

£450 seems extortionate to me. Last year, as a special offer I paid £90 locally and by arrangement they did it while we waited. (Actually, a walk around and lunch at a nearby garden centre). The normal charge was £120.The dealer we bought the ‘van from wanted nearly £300 and the vehicle for most of the day.

Cattwg :-D

I take our van back to the manufacturer Vantage for the annual check on the basis that they built it so they know how it was put together and I would prefer that they look after it for me. The cost is £320 which may be high but the level of service is excellent and it is a relatively small outlay compared to the cost of the van in order to ensure that it is maintained in tip top condition. I also think this would help at resale time I.e. No expense spared.

go for a mobile service,our bailey motorhome still under warranty,was done for £120

and he is national caravan council { ncc} approved this is acceptable by bailey,

local dealer wanted £250,if you dont have a warranty to uphold just get a gas check done

and buy a damp meter as suggested ,save your money for your adventures,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for their excellent advice. Yesterday a local 'mobile' motorhome engineer 'Peak Caravan Services' carried out the habitation service for us at the very reasonable price of £144 incl vat. This also included re-fitting a fly screen which had come off its track.

Arrived on time and was very knowledgeable. Would definitely recommend him.

Archived