fitting reversing sensors?

fesspark

Thinking of purchasing and fitting reversing sensors to my new m,home, any one know if it is easy? Tried looking on you tube but could not find the info I need.have a rear camera fitted but not sure if I need both on this vehicle?any ideas welcome,Fesspark

I don't have a camera and find them very handy as you can be keeping a eye on mirrors and position of van and bleeper warns of approach to rear obstacles. I fitted them in rear bumper the kit which I bought from eBay came with the correct size hole saw for sensors to clip in, Then it was just get the wires thru into the van to control box which just needed connecting to reversing light wire and one earth connection not to difficult at all. I have found with a camera if your watching it to intently you can miss other obstructions around you.

This is similar to what I fitted

Link to eBay

Hi we have neither on our motorhome and having had several cars with them I have found sensors a bit useless.

If you have a camera I would suspect it negates the need for sensors.

As far as I know it's a case of drilling the bumper at the required places and then taking a power supply from the reverse lights.

I suspect the instructions should give you more info.

Hope this helps.

fesspark

There is a good deal of on-line information/advice/guidance regarding fitting vehicle reversing sensors:

https://tinyurl.com/y8lh4xdk

Although sensors fitted as standard to cars will be embedded in the bumper, they don’t have to be when a system is retro-fitted. I added reversing sensors to my 1996-built Herald and attached them to brackets beneath the rear bumper.

The benefit of a reversing sensor system is that (as witzend touches on) a driver is warned audibly of an obstacle behind the vehicle, rather than having to look at the image displayed by a reversing camera. Conversely, the benefit of a reversing camera system is that a driver can see what’s actually behind the vehicle rather put his/her faith in the (not always reliiable) audible warning provided by reversing sensors.

Given the size and cost of the motorhome you are getting, I suggest you NEED a rear-view camera system (and it would be sensible if the system could be used while driving forwards as well as when reversing). A reversing sensor system would be handy to have as well but (in my view) not essential.

I’ve no idea what vehicle witzend owns, but care might be needed if the power for a reversing sensor system were to be provided by splicing into your new motorhome’s reversing-light wiring. It’s what I did with my Herald, but I’d think twice before taking that approach with my 2015 Rapido as vehicle wiring systems and electronics are much more sophisticated and ‘picky’ nowadays. I expect it would be OK to do, but better safe than sorry...

Thank you all, I have a reversing camera built in to my new Burstner but I like sensers as they pick side obstructions up as well. I clipped a wall on the rear side in France many years ago as the wall was not buillt Plum I had no sensers in those days,cost me a fortune to get the damage repaired, so ever wary, Thanks to all that answered again,Fesspark

witzend - 2018-08-02 9:10 AM

witzend - 2018-08-01 9:27 PM

Link to eBay

Since the link has been altered it no longer points at what I fitted mine was without the screen as it offers another distraction

WE,

Nothing was changed on the link when I added the short cut. I all added was basically square brackets to turn it into a short cut.

Keith.

PS If you click 'Quote' on the posting you will see the link in its entirety.

Keithl - 2018-08-02 10:13 AM

witzend - 2018-08-02 9:10 AM

witzend - 2018-08-01 9:27 PM

Link to eBay

Since the link has been altered it no longer points at what I fitted mine was without the screen as it offers another distraction

WE,

Nothing was changed on the link when I added the short cut. I all added was basically square brackets to turn it into a short cut.

Keith.

PS If you click 'Quote' on the posting you will see the link in its entirety.

Which I done and it's not the one I linked to the one I linked to was like this Link to eBay with out the screen which I think would be as much a distraction to looking at a screen Cameras where fitted to vehicles where I worked and we had a lot of front end damage because drivers where watching the screen and not what was around them with the bleeper they only had to listen while reversing and could still be aware of what was around them

Edit: I've shortened this link as well as otherwise it causes a page size error on some computers. Keith.

And I will assure you I did not change anything in your link.

Im really pleased with my bleeper. I didnt really appreciate it at first but have grown to trust it more. I like to use my side mirrors and see out back thru window just to get an overall view as this is quite a big picture of things potentially coming round the back from the sides. Assuming what you are reversing into is stationary (after checking first) a sensor gives you accurate picture of how far away you are.

Hello Derek,just a thought,The set of reversing sensers mentioned on here from ebay have 5 metre leads to the clip in monitors for the bumper.Is that length long enough for my 6.99 metre Burstner. excuse the ignorance but I do not know were the connection on this lead goes to, Fesspark

I would not have thought so and (for my Herald) I vaguely recall needing to lengthen the cable between the system’s control-box and the ‘bleeper’ so that I could position the latter nearer to the cab.

Depends where the control-box is fitted, where the bleeper/display-unit is fitted and where the cable that connects the two can be run with the motorhome. If a system just has a bleeper, this could go (say) behind the driver, but if it has a display-unit that (obviously) the driver will want to see, that display-unit will need to be in front of the driver and the connecting-cable would be longer.

Archived