Brexit and pet passport

Billggski

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-09-26 2:10 PM

W3526602 - 2018-09-26 8:41 AM

<<< And if it stops various do-gooders from bringing van loads of dogs into the UK from Spain, Romania, Ireland and anywhere else that has to be a good thing as we have more than enough unwanted dogs already in the country. >>>

Hi Tracker,

Going off topic, so lets not argue about it.

We decided to get a rescue dog, when we lost our previous dog also a rescue dog......

I can foresee this new regulation, if imposed, leading to a lot of pets being abandoned on both sides of the Channel. This is not an uncommon practice even today. A dog is for life, not just until the holidays.I hope the shelters have more clout than the boarding kennels.

We flew our mutt back from Penang in 1967, so full quarantine as well ... part of the responsibility of ownership.

Nice story and only snipped for brevity to mention something you will find close to your heart.

Every year when away i like to take a couple of good books to read and last year one i bought was Keith Richards autobiography called "Life". Obviously he's best known to most for somehow managing to cheat the Grim Reaper, but it came as a surprise to find he's a big animal lover....particularly dogs..

When the band was on tour some years ago in Russia, a small scruffy dog kept turning up which the road crew fed. Keith asked the crew how often the little dog had been coming round and soon found he was an obvious stray so set about 'adopting' him. He named him 'Rasputin', had him inoculated and flown back to live the remainder of his years at Keiths home in California.

If you google Keith Richards Rasputin on images you will see a photo of 'Rasputin' with Keith...along with many other dogs he's owned.

So how many dogs have you had Bullet? ;-) ..........

Just askin :D .......

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brexiteers are dwindling, and by January 2019, even if no one changes their mind, they will be a minority.

The over 70's voted 70-30 for brexit, the 18-21's voted 80-20 to remain.

With the death rate of over 70's and the extra 16 and 17 year olds becoming 18 and eligible vote, the slim majority to leave dissappears, and "the will of the people" becomes to remain.

<<< .If I recall correctly back then there wasn't a rabies jab?........ >>>

Hi Pelmetman,

Our mutt in Malaya (Penang) required a dog licence, which was a large aluminium tag dangling from his collar. It was a different shape and colour every year.

In order to get a licence, dogs needed an annual rabies injection. Immediately after the first injection, the dog's ear was tattooed. "Madam, stand over there and catch your dog" Click! Yelp! And puppy flew from table into Mummy's arms.

But we still needed to put him into quarrantine for six months. So, although rabies jabs were available in the 1960, they were not acceptable to Min of Ag & Fishes.

As for people changing their minds, my wife did, and is now a Brexiteer. Corbyn enticed the students with promises which he has since admitted were ambitions. I wonder if those students are now a bit wiser. Has the population increased or decreased in the last two years ... are the Wrinklies living longer, and has the number of Sprogs reaching maturity decreased/increased. Have the Tories learned to fight dirty? How many middle-agers are fed up with all the palarver, and will vote for what is on offer, just to get it over and done with? How many Joe Publics do not want to be a member of a club that acts like the EU?

Er ... how does ANYONE know how old I was when I voted, and how does anyone know which way I voted? I would like to see an on-line record of the identity number of all the ballot slips presented, so that I can log on, to see if my ballot was acknowledged as received (but nothing else), or received even though I had not posted it.

I realise this has turned, inevitably, to a "he says, you says" rant about brexit. And there is some deliberate obfuscation.

But my point was that without a deal, there is no transition period, as there is nothing to transit to.

So we fall out of the eu and their regulations

In that case the following situation, from my first post, applies.

"If the UK is an unlisted third country

Should the UK become an unlisted third country, pet owners intending to travel with their pet from the UK to EU countries would need to discuss preparations for their pet’s travel with an Official Veterinarian (OV) at least four months in advance of the date they wish to travel. This means pet owners intending to travel to the EU on 30 March 2019 would need to discuss requirements with their vet before the end of November 2018."

The rest of the government's post lists the requirements and the time limits.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

• 3 weeks later...

It's getting to that time of year where we start planning for next summer - my plan is to be up for any outcome to have our pup get her vaccination for rabies about January and checked over and that should just require a revisit for a certificate just before going.

The other considerations are going to be the driving licences and how the van insurance will work. More money no doubt.

Still it's better than staying in the UK. We went up north this year for the first summer staying in the UK and it was MOBBED. Don't fancy that again.

Billggski - 2018-09-26 10:15 PM

Brexiteers are dwindling, and by January 2019, even if no one changes their mind, they will be a minority.

The over 70's voted 70-30 for brexit, the 18-21's voted 80-20 to remain.

With the death rate of over 70's and the extra 16 and 17 year olds becoming 18 and eligible vote, the slim majority to leave dissappears, and "the will of the people" becomes to remain.

Disagree with your slant on demographics, I was 70 when I voted LEAVE, so now 72 and still fighting....and voting fit, You have about 20 years before the Referendum result would be reversed.......just accept that the Remain camp LOST, not by a lot i grant you, But Cup finals have been lost by far less of a margin.

Play the game.......stop trying to get the result changed. Its Not the 'Best out of three'.

I dont recall there being such a kerfuffle when we joined (the Common Market) by the way, I voted JOIN then, because I believed all the Tosh about joining saving our Manufacturing Industry with heaps of european orders......that never came.

After 40 years....I know a dead duck when i see it. And the EUSSR is certainly one.

As for the Irish Border ? The UK will not enforce a hard border.....we leave that up to the Rebublic, let their troops and Police get the backlash....for a change.

Head in the sand? I'm just trying to point out the probable problems for motorhomers in 120 days time.

It's not my data, it's simply the facts of life.

I'm much older than you, so will probably not live to see the disasters ahead, but it's the younger generation, who voted overwhelmingly to remain, who will suffer the most from the fantasies of those that believed serial liars like Boris Johnson.

<<< I voted JOIN then, because I believed all the Tosh about joining saving our Manufacturing Industry with heaps of european orders......that never came. >>>

Hi,

Ditto! Forty years ago, I would have been rising 40, and thought it was a good idea. It WAS a good idea ... until a couple of States started "Empire building". WE were their market, not the other way around. The powers behind the EU want to expand the borders, to increase their customer base .... THEY sell to the poor neighbour, and let US subsidise that neighbour. Win Win for them, Win for the new partner. Lose for us.

This is a mainly a motor-home forum. Motorhomers want to head for the mainland in the Summer, but Brexit is going to make that a bit more difficult. So you want to remain. That is your right. But others have rights too. We were all given the oportunity to vote, and 8% more voted to leave than voted to stay. You have the right to try and change that ... but don't chunter on about Democracy while you do so.

Do the Remainers think that the major powers in the EU are going to welcome us back into the fold? Do you think they like us, even? They are acting like bullies, and you know what happens if you give in to a bully.

What would the EU look like if each State, regardless of size/wealth/population got only ONE vote ... let's call that "All Nations Being Equal"

The Irish Border problem? Easy! Just persuade the RoI to secede from the Union too, join us as an equal TRADING partner ... England, (Gibralter?) NI, Ro!, Scotland, Wales .... that's in alphbetical order. Apart from Gibraltar, the British Isles are a natural group. But as a group, could we be self sufficient? Dunno!

Just to be a bit boring and bring it back to the OP's subject post, in the unlikely event that "they" cancelled pet passports, it'd be interesting to see how all the foreign dogs that compete at say Crufts will fare. There will be outrage if the Scandics and Europeans can't bring their champions to UK. BTW, Crufts is 7-9 March so right around when we leave. I'll bet anyone a shilling that there will be special exemptions for show dogs from abroad.

Guest pelmetman

What's the worst that can happen? ;-) ..........

You'll have to stay on holiday until the EU has got over it's bitch fest >:-) ........

Mr loophole (lawer in London) has already solved the problem for me, we will still be in the EU until May so all I have to do is to get a EU/Spanish pet passport to go with my UK one, problem solved, I've done some checks with my UK and Spanish vet and both agree this can be done

W3526602 - 2018-10-16 7:15 AM

This is a mainly a motor-home forum. Motorhomers want to head for the mainland in the Summer, but Brexit is going to make that a bit more difficult. So you want to remain. That is your right. But others have rights too. We were all given the oportunity to vote, and 8% more voted to leave than voted to stay. You have the right to try and change that ... but don't chunter on about Democracy while you do so.

Hi you say 8% more voted to leave however, Just to clarify facts the difference between remain and leave was 3.8%. 48.1% voted remain and 51.9% voted leave however turnout was only 72.2% so less than half the eligible voters voted to either remain or leave.

In Northern Ireland only 44% vote to leave

in Scotland only 38% voted to leave)

In wales 52% voted to leave

In England 53% voted to leave.

By age

18 -24 29% voted leave

25-49. 46% voted leave

50-64. 60% voted leave

65+. 64% voted leave

Make of that what you will

Peter

It's the uncertainty that is causing problems, we've two dogs that travel with us to the continent, it was the main reason we chose this particular layout.

But if we have no deal, and we end up as a "third country", then we need to have visited the vet in the next four weeks to get vaccinations to travel next Easter. And now the visa/ driving permit problem is appearing.

But no one has decided what a deal would look like, or even what we are asking for.

This situation was not forecast by either remainers or leavers, both of whom concentrated on the economic and vague "sovereignty" issues, rather than the reality of untangling 43 years of joint negotiations where the UK was an integral part of the decision making process and balanced the France/Germany axis.

Billggski - 2018-10-18 8:19 AM

This situation was not forecast by either remainers or leavers, both of whom concentrated on the economic and vague "sovereignty" issues, rather than the reality of untangling 43 years of joint negotiations where the UK was an integral part of the decision making process and balanced the France/Germany axis.

I don't think the leaders of the campaigns dared even mention.it. I could see both sides of the argument but what swung it completely for me was exactly this point...it was always going to be a nightmare and Ireland was always going to be the hardest part.

<<< I voted JOIN then, because I believed all the Tosh about joining saving our Manufacturing Industry with heaps of european orders......that never came. >>>

Hi,

Ditto! Forty years ago, I would have been rising 40, and thought it was a good idea. .............................602

Funny thing memory, isn't it? :-D With respect, you're both wrong. We joined the EU on 1/1/1973 under Heath. The June 1975 referendum under Wilson was to decide whether we should remain in or leave, not whether we should join.

Watched Question time last night - What a bunch of clowns.

Anyway - We are fairly new to this motorhome lark and for the first time this year we got a pet passport for our little fellow and took him away with us to the continent, we actually visited 5 euro countries - despite some trepidation it went really well, a very smooth and trouble free process taking a pet abroad.

Would not hesitate to do it again - However as I work, we need to plan our major trips sometime ahead, I need time off, our next major continental trip would be after March 2019, considering going to Berlin and Dresden. At this time I don't feel confident that I can plan a major trip in for next year, - what documents will we need? - what about the dog? We would never put him in a kennel, both he and we would hate it, Bijons are very focused on their owners

- I don't want to potentially get involved in a bunch of trouble on the border - or even borders. - So I can feel a staycation coming on.

The problem is that as we well know our Continental cousins are so much more motorhome friendly, - the UK is just appalling with so many areas barred or restricted to us in some manner.

-I'm generally fairly neutral in political matters - but what a flipping mess we,ve got into (been led into by those who should know better), - Who said " Dad, I think I got it wrong again" ?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-18 6:19 PM

Hi,

Ditto! Forty years ago, I would have been rising 40, and thought it was a good idea. .............................602

Funny thing memory, isn't it? :-D With respect, you're both wrong. We joined the EU on 1/1/1973 under Heath. The June 1975 referendum under Wilson was to decide whether we should remain in or leave, not whether we should join.

I was still too young to vote on both occasions ;-) ..........

It's curious though that given your age group Brian, your in the minority aren't you? :-| .........

I wonder what causes you to think different to the majority of "your" age? :-S ........

Just askin? :D ........

I have to say that I am over 65 and a remainer.

From those I know over 65, where I live, remain/leave is about 50/50.

As to why: I cannot see any benefit to leaving. Almost half our exports are with Europe. We import more than half our food much of which is routed through Europe. I certainly don’t fancy a trade deal with Trumps USA. I don’t trust our politicians and welcome the backstop of the European legal system and court.

All my children are pro Europe and, as far as I can tell, their friends.are too. It feels very selfish to overrule their wishes as they are the future.

Peter

Archived