Brexit and travel in Europe

flyboyprowler

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 4:03 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-10-21 8:37 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 3:48 AM

flyboyprowler - 2018-10-20 9:03 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 9:44 PM

flyboyprowler - 2018-10-20 12:23 PM

As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole. Does anyone know if, as retired people wanting to tour the roads of Europe for more than the said 180 days a year, will we be able to have, or purchase a yearly Euro travel visa or similar.

Actually we already are......though many people 1) are not aware of it, or 2) know, but 'fly below the radar'. All to do with the "3 month rule" which means anyone spending over three months out of UK can be removed from their GP's list. Note i specifically state 'can' because some GP's will overlook it.....but not all. It can also result in NHS treatment being declined.

A few years ago i was concerned enough to raise this matter with my MP for clarification who in turn contacted the Dept of Health and he sent me copy of their letter which i will willingly pm you copy of if you wish to check it out for yourself.

So, am I not right in thinking under the current rules, with free travel in Europe that an individual can only spend a maximum of 183 days in any one country in the EU, after which problems arise as to fiscal residency and indeed health registration. But, there was nothing to then stop you moving on to the next country and the 183 clock started ticking again, and using the E111 card for health.

You can transit or tour any number of countries both EU and non-EU......at the moment. BUT the "3 month rule" in UK has always applied to everyone. Next time you see your GP just mention it to him/her and they will know exactly what you're inquiring about. Some GP's won't even give three months and stipulate two, but that is actually wrong and could be challenged....eg i lost my place on an NHS dentists list because they will only allow two months. Soon as i told them i was away for 3 months they told me they could no longer see me as an NHS patient and I now have to pay private.

If neither you or any family member travelling with you are on prescribed meds you may get away with it, but if one of you is, then that's when the problems start. I'm not alone by any means, i've lost count of the number i've spoke to who have exactly the same issues as i have. But i also know some whose GP bends the rules.

To be fair GP rules in the UK is not what the OP Asked. My GP is aware we often go travelling but I never specified for how long. You can easily as you say "get away" with staying out of the UK for more than three months, its not illegal. Over staying in Schengen certainly is.

Well that's not how i read the op's query which opened with, "As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole" to which my posts reaffirmed the point we already are....just that some are not aware of it, or those that are, choose to ignore and 'fly under the radar'.

Overtstaying in Schengen is least of anyones worries....most that happens is you get booted out and rightly so imo though you might be slapped with a fine or, worst case scenario, your passport stamped "illegal immigrant" status and then you are stuffed but that not likely to happen unless you've been really naughty. It's more about what you could end up losing once back here in UK...eg as i did over my Dentist, not a massive deal but still annoying as NHS dentists are few and far between. Note i'm saying 'could' and not 'definitely will'. For me it would have been much worse had my GP removed me, which he's told me in no uncertain terms he will if i'm out longer than 90 days as that also has repercussions with the NHS.

I know the dodges as well as some dodgers, but for me personally i can't afford to take the risk. The easiest answer is to pack up, sell up, and ship out quite frankly. Meantime here is a "how to" guide....note the writer brackets the word "legally"!

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/how-to-legally-stay-in-europe-for-more-than-90-days/

That's a great artical and food for thought, many thanks!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyboyprowler - 2018-10-21 6:58 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 4:03 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-10-21 8:37 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-21 3:48 AM

flyboyprowler - 2018-10-20 9:03 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-20 9:44 PM

flyboyprowler - 2018-10-20 12:23 PM

As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole. Does anyone know if, as retired people wanting to tour the roads of Europe for more than the said 180 days a year, will we be able to have, or purchase a yearly Euro travel visa or similar.

Actually we already are......though many people 1) are not aware of it, or 2) know, but 'fly below the radar'. All to do with the "3 month rule" which means anyone spending over three months out of UK can be removed from their GP's list. Note i specifically state 'can' because some GP's will overlook it.....but not all. It can also result in NHS treatment being declined.

A few years ago i was concerned enough to raise this matter with my MP for clarification who in turn contacted the Dept of Health and he sent me copy of their letter which i will willingly pm you copy of if you wish to check it out for yourself.

So, am I not right in thinking under the current rules, with free travel in Europe that an individual can only spend a maximum of 183 days in any one country in the EU, after which problems arise as to fiscal residency and indeed health registration. But, there was nothing to then stop you moving on to the next country and the 183 clock started ticking again, and using the E111 card for health.

You can transit or tour any number of countries both EU and non-EU......at the moment. BUT the "3 month rule" in UK has always applied to everyone. Next time you see your GP just mention it to him/her and they will know exactly what you're inquiring about. Some GP's won't even give three months and stipulate two, but that is actually wrong and could be challenged....eg i lost my place on an NHS dentists list because they will only allow two months. Soon as i told them i was away for 3 months they told me they could no longer see me as an NHS patient and I now have to pay private.

If neither you or any family member travelling with you are on prescribed meds you may get away with it, but if one of you is, then that's when the problems start. I'm not alone by any means, i've lost count of the number i've spoke to who have exactly the same issues as i have. But i also know some whose GP bends the rules.

To be fair GP rules in the UK is not what the OP Asked. My GP is aware we often go travelling but I never specified for how long. You can easily as you say "get away" with staying out of the UK for more than three months, its not illegal. Over staying in Schengen certainly is.

Well that's not how i read the op's query which opened with, "As I understand it, when we leave the EU, we will only be allowed 90 days in any 180 days in Europe as a whole" to which my posts reaffirmed the point we already are....just that some are not aware of it, or those that are, choose to ignore and 'fly under the radar'.

Overtstaying in Schengen is least of anyones worries....most that happens is you get booted out and rightly so imo though you might be slapped with a fine or, worst case scenario, your passport stamped "illegal immigrant" status and then you are stuffed but that not likely to happen unless you've been really naughty. It's more about what you could end up losing once back here in UK...eg as i did over my Dentist, not a massive deal but still annoying as NHS dentists are few and far between. Note i'm saying 'could' and not 'definitely will'. For me it would have been much worse had my GP removed me, which he's told me in no uncertain terms he will if i'm out longer than 90 days as that also has repercussions with the NHS.

I know the dodges as well as some dodgers, but for me personally i can't afford to take the risk. The easiest answer is to pack up, sell up, and ship out quite frankly. Meantime here is a "how to" guide....note the writer brackets the word "legally"!

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/how-to-legally-stay-in-europe-for-more-than-90-days/

That's a great artical and food for thought, many thanks!

Just don't take everything on it as Gospel though.....after all it was put together by an American and they aren't so hot on their own laws let alone anyone elses!

Billggski - 2018-10-21 5:22 PM

"None of this will effect me"

What planet are you living on?

You may well be retired with a good pension, if so if will only be rising prices, less government income to fund your care home, fewer surgeons and nurses to cure your incontinence, but think of everyone else, especially the younger generation and those that will lose their jobs.

Not my forecast, but that of business, industry, manufacturing, the nhs, education and the government.

This is all pure guesswork on your part, we just do not know. Why does anyone think the UK, still one of the worlds largest economies, cannot survive outside the EU, plenty of others do. I have more confidence in the UK than you do and would expect us to come out ahead of Europe as we always do. Anyway should not this rubbish go to chatterbox where it belongs, all the 'experts' on all things brexit are on there. As for all those fictitious job losses I refer you to business forecasts about all the job loses if we voted to leave.

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2018-10-21 5:22 PM

"None of this will effect me"

What planet are you living on?

You may well be retired with a good pension, if so if will only be rising prices, less government income to fund your care home, fewer surgeons and nurses to cure your incontinence, but think of everyone else, especially the younger generation and those that will lose their jobs.

Not my forecast, but that of business, industry, manufacturing, the nhs, education and the government.

What's happened since the vote ;-) ..........

Best employment figures since the 70's......

Borrowing at its lowest levels in 10 years.....

Interest rates finally going up.......

Gdp ticking along nicely........

Exports growing faster than Imports.......

The Best summer since 76.......

We've never had it so good B-) .........

Guest pelmetman
witzend - 2018-10-22 10:01 AM

pelmetman - 2018-10-21 3:15 PM

...I'll let you know if I get deported ie a free ferry back from Spain B-)

Hope you won't need a dog friendly cabin if so you may have a long wait

I was online as soon as the Christmas bookings became available ;-) ..........I managed to get a ferry and pet cabin back from Spain.......but they'd all gone by the time I tried to book going back too Spain.......So it'll be Le Havre again this year *-) ..........

hallii - 2018-10-21 12:46 PM

I can remember the days before the EU EEC or whatever, as can many on here, we changed or money into Francs, Pesatas and so on. We drove across many borders with nothing more than a wave of the old blue passport. Many times the border posts were not even manned.

Nobody cared how long we stayed, we had reciprocal health arrangements with most countries around Europe and we never bothered with insurance.

The only thing the EU has ever done for me is to have a common currency, saved a few bob in commission fees, and that's about it......…………..

H

Not sure when you're referring to, as your experiences don't tally with mine, but I think you must be going back to the period between 1945 and 1958. That is to say, post war but pre Treaty of Rome, which created the EEC. After that, travel between the original 5 members became much simpler.

You mention Pesetas, which implies Spain, but Spain didn't join the EEC until 1986, and it was definitely not the case that border posts between France and Spain were unmanned before then. I vividly remember being well "checked" (by a bleedin' great hairy Alsatian!) at the Spanish border leaving Spain on the N230 just below the Vielha tunnel in 1967.

You had to give your passport details at any hotel or campsite you stayed at in France.

Might you be referring to the period after 1958, but before the UK joined in 1973? That would have eased travel between West Germany, France, Italy, Belgium and Luxemburg. I do remember an unmanned border post near Nonnenweihr entering France from W Germany in 1970, which was a bit creepy, and there were no border controls into Italy in '71/2, but that was because they were in the EEC. But there ware border controls entering and leaving Austria in '73 (it didn't join until '95). British passports were fine, but registration at each place one stayed lingered on well after we'd joined in several countries.

Yes, one could travel, but borders were slow where manned, and registration was a lingering irritant. You also don't need Bail Bond insurance for Spain now, due to changes to vehicle insurance requirements introduced by the EEC, so that saves you a groat or three!

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-22 8:50 PM

I can remember the days before the EU EEC or whatever, as can many on here, we changed or money into Francs, Pesatas and so on. We drove across many borders with nothing more than a wave of the old blue passport. Many times the border posts were not even manned.

Nobody cared how long we stayed, we had reciprocal health arrangements with most countries around Europe and we never bothered with insurance.

The only thing the EU has ever done for me is to have a common currency, saved a few bob in commission fees, and that's about it......…………..

H

Not sure when you're referring to, as your experiences don't tally with mine, but I think you must be going back to the period between 1945 and 1958. That is to say, post war but pre Treaty of Rome, which created the EEC. After that, travel between the original 5 members became much simpler.

You mention Pesetas, which implies Spain, but Spain didn't join the EEC until 1986, and it was definitely not the case that border posts between France and Spain were unmanned before then. I vividly remember being well "checked" (by a bleedin' great hairy Alsatian!) at the Spanish border leaving Spain on the N230 just below the Vielha tunnel in 1967.

You had to give your passport details at any hotel or campsite you stayed at in France.

Might you be referring to the period after 1958, but before the UK joined in 1973? That would have eased travel between West Germany, France, Italy, Belgium and Luxemburg. I do remember an unmanned border post near Nonnenweihr entering France from W Germany in 1970, which was a bit creepy, and there were no border controls into Italy in '71/2, but that was because they were in the EEC. But there ware border controls entering and leaving Austria in '73 (it didn't join until '95). British passports were fine, but registration at each place one stayed lingered on well after we'd joined in several countries.

Yes, one could travel, but borders were slow where manned, and registration was a lingering irritant. You also don't need Bail Bond insurance for Spain now, due to changes to vehicle insurance requirements introduced by the EEC, so that saves you a groat or three!

And even now, on, I think all campsites in Spain, the Police require registration, be it by passport or ACSI when you check in. This won't become easier after the transition, and movements will be fairly easy to track!

flyboyprowler - 2018-10-22 10:05 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-22 8:50 PM

H

And even now, on, I think all campsites in Spain, the Police require registration, be it by passport or ACSI when you check in. This won't become easier after the transition, and movements will be fairly easy to track!

Perhaps the strangest i came across was a site i stayed in Hungary one year where on arrival at Reception i was handed an official document to fill with a list of questions. I was told "it's for registration" but the question which gave me a laugh was 'date and time you crossed border'.....so i just wrote the current date and added 0800hr 25min 30sec.

What was odd about it was this was Hungary in 2007.....one of the first countries to tear down it's border when the wall fell in '89 yet here they were going back in time. I made a point about that to the Reception when i'd completed it and the girl shrugged and said, "yes i know, it's the Police though".

There still exists a weird psyche among a few oddballs in some ex-communist countries which Germans cynically call 'Ostalgie'....in short meaning a longing for times of the Eastern bloc. Often they are people who were not even born during the cold war so never lived under a police state, yet think life must have been fantastic.

Bulletguy - 2018-10-23 1:03 PM

There still exists a weird psyche among a few oddballs in some ex-communist countries which Germans cynically call 'Ostalgie'....in short meaning a longing for times of the Eastern bloc. Often they are people who were not even born during the cold war so never lived under a police state, yet think life must have been fantastic.

Pretty much the same as the UK then. ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-22 7:50 PM

H

I travelled a lot in Europe between 1989 and 1992. I changed money into Francs, Pesetas, Marks, Guilders etc. I had to show my Passport at Borders (including on a train ride from Holland to Paris).

It sticks in my mind due to one trip that encompassed 4 European Countries and took me all day to work out my expenses for the trip. 8-)

Whatever rules are made about us Brits being allowed to cross the Channel to tour on the Continent, the EU certainly aren't going to operate borders within the Schengen Area, just for the sake of monitoring/controlling the movement of us Brits. And it will be an EU decision about letting us in rather than a French or Belgian or Dutch one.  I can't see it being a big problem.

StuartO - 2018-10-23 3:34 PMWhatever rules are made about us Brits being allowed to cross the Channel to tour on the Continent, the EU certainly aren't going to operate borders within the Schengen Area, just for the sake of monitoring/controlling the movement of us Brits. And it will be an EU decision about letting us in rather than a French or Belgian or Dutch one.  I can't see it being a big problem.

Thats what they said about Brexit innit. Trouble is its all electronic now so they will know when you enter Schengen as someone from outside of Europe just as they do now with say someone from America and they will know when you check out, thats when your problems might start as I am sure your correct. Once in Schengen you can wander around as much as you like and drive across most borders unhindered. However what if you have an accident when you have been an illegal immigrant for say a month over? Will you be insured? Why would any insurance company both medical and motor insure you for a single trip in Europe for more than three months when that is all your legally allowed to be there for?I can only speak from the findings I came across on forums discussing this exact same issue mainly from the USA and there were several examples where people had been caught, fined heavily and kicked out. One bloke ended up locked up. Of course there are those that are of the opinion that because its us the EU will do us a few favours. Hows that going so far?

We are the first nation to leave "The Club" and I can't help but think that we won't be that last! However, very good point about insurance for travel in Europe maybe only valid over a 90 day period. A closed border is certainly a big part of what the "leavers" wanted, and they may yet get their wish. Maybe we should all exit to southern Ireland, enjoy the lifestyle and travel at will in Europe!! (lol)

Guest pelmetman
flyboyprowler - 2018-10-23 4:29 PM

We are the first nation to leave "The Club" and I can't help but think that we won't be that last! However, very good point about insurance for travel in Europe maybe only valid over a 90 day period. A closed border is certainly a big part of what the "leavers" wanted, and they may yet get their wish. Maybe we should all exit to southern Ireland, enjoy the lifestyle and travel at will in Europe!! (lol)

Not quite ;-) ............But we're the first meal ticket to leave :D ........

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/04/three-other-countries-that-left-the-eu/

Which prolly explains all the fuss..........and threats >:-) .........

The bonkers thing is while the EU are saying there will be checks on goods and people inwards the UK's current answer is that it will be business as usual at our ports and they wont bother checking anything. What happened to taking back control of our borders? Wasnt that one of the main points? Its like being in Alice in Wonderland now.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-10-23 6:18 PM

The bonkers thing is while the EU are saying there will be checks on goods and people inwards the UK's current answer is that it will be business as usual at our ports and they wont bother checking anything. What happened to taking back control of our borders? Wasnt that one of the main points? Its like being in Alice in Wonderland now.

That's coz the EU flunkies on the other side will be doing for free :D .........

... because you haven't left yet. But when you do...

Unfortumately there are a lot of ostriches with their heads firmly in the sand. Of course there will be changes, whatever is agreed and it is no good saying that things will return to pre-EU days, the world has moved on in 40 years and just waving a blue passport doesn't work any more.

We simply do not know what will be agreed, but whatever is decided one thing is certain - it will NOT be as easy for Brits to move around the EU for the simple reason they are NOT EU citizens.

Be assured that as ex-pats we follow events carefully (and also the international media, not just the UK). We are legally in the system here, registered business, health system, tax, carte de séjour thé works and have the right to be in France permanently, but we are unsure as to whether we can still legally spend a couple of winter months in Spain, so how will that effect non EU residents? And don't just say 'we did it before' - see above.

For goodness sake even Baldrick had a plan, which is more than can be said for the Brexiteers.

colin - 2018-10-23 1:14 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-10-23 1:03 PM

Pretty much the same as the UK then. ;-)

Yes.....back in time.

Little Englander drawbridge mentality yet curiously many run off to spend half the year in an EU country enjoying the benefits of border free travel. They may well find they've shot themselves in the foot as both UK and EU countries impose restrictions.

Turkeys that voted for Christmas. *-)

TheFrenchConnection - 2018-10-23 7:57 PM

Unfortumately there are a lot of ostriches with their heads firmly in the sand. Of course there will be changes, whatever is agreed and it is no good saying that things will return to pre-EU days, the world has moved on in 40 years and just waving a blue passport doesn't work any more.

We simply do not know what will be agreed, but whatever is decided one thing is certain - it will NOT be as easy for Brits to move around the EU for the simple reason they are NOT EU citizens.

Be assured that as ex-pats we follow events carefully (and also the international media, not just the UK). We are legally in the system here, registered business, health system, tax, carte de séjour thé works and have the right to be in France permanently, but we are unsure as to whether we can still legally spend a couple of winter months in Spain, so how will that effect non EU residents? And don't just say 'we did it before' - see above.

For goodness sake even Baldrick had a plan, which is more than can be said for the Brexiteers.

Bib is spot on but a few here still think they will be able to enjoy the benefits of 'the club' without paying any 'membership fees'.

Good post.

TheFrenchConnection - 2018-10-23 8:57 PM

Excellent post :-D

Thanks Bulletguy - someone else who appreciates 'don't pay your subs, can' t use the club'!

The main problem UK residents will find is the word 'legally' - we'll probably be OK as the ANPR cameras at the French/Spanish border will only see a French numberplate as all our vehicles are legal and French registered (unlike many UK expats) and our French insurance covers all of Europe without any timescale and without identifying the nationality of the owner (we have French licences anyway). UK plates will obviously identify the vehicle/owner as non-EU with any consequences regarding International Driving Permits and additional insurance should these be needed.

Many people try to travel under the radar, but post Brexit the radar is likely to scan lower.

... because you haven't left yet. But when you do......

Except the person leading the charge to leave was never a Brexiteer - there is a view that she very much does have a plan and it doesn't involve leaving the EU......

david lloyd - 2018-10-24 9:42 AM

... because you haven't left yet. But when you do......

Except the person leading the charge to leave was never a Brexiteer - there is a view that she very much does have a plan and it doesn't involve leaving the EU......

..and why is she leading it? because when push came to shove, the head "Brexiteers" all bottled out, and ran away... *-)

(sorry Derek U..as that's even more OT..time for a move to Trollbox (sorry.."Chatterbox"?)

Archived