Brexit and travel in Europe

flyboyprowler

pepe63 - 2018-10-24 10:01 AM

david lloyd - 2018-10-24 9:42 AM

..and why is she leading it? because when push came to shove, the head "Brexiteers" all bottled out, and ran away... *-)

(sorry Derek U..as that's even more OT..time for a move to Trollbox (sorry.."Chatterbox"?)

Or because for all Cameron's faults, when something he had championed so strongly was voted down by the electorate he did the honourable thing and resigned.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
TheFrenchConnection - 2018-10-23 7:57 PM

... because you haven't left yet. But when you do...

Unfortumately there are a lot of ostriches with their heads firmly in the sand. Of course there will be changes, whatever is agreed and it is no good saying that things will return to pre-EU days, the world has moved on in 40 years and just waving a blue passport doesn't work any more.

We simply do not know what will be agreed, but whatever is decided one thing is certain - it will NOT be as easy for Brits to move around the EU for the simple reason they are NOT EU citizens.

Be assured that as ex-pats we follow events carefully (and also the international media, not just the UK). We are legally in the system here, registered business, health system, tax, carte de séjour thé works and have the right to be in France permanently, but we are unsure as to whether we can still legally spend a couple of winter months in Spain, so how will that effect non EU residents? And don't just say 'we did it before' - see above.

For goodness sake even Baldrick had a plan, which is more than can be said for the Brexiteers.

Perhaps you can explain why Spain is flogging shed loads of houses to Russians?.......even the menu's are starting to appear in Russian ;-) ...........

The owner of our Favourite restaurant is Armenian :D ........

They're not even in the Shengen zone .........So if they don't kick the Russians out......why would they kick Brits out??? :-S ........

Especially as they rely on 18 million of us British tourists shoveling our hard earned into their country every year >:-) .............

TheFrenchConnection - 2018-10-23 9:42 PM

Thanks Bulletguy - someone else who appreciates 'don't pay your subs, can' t use the club'!

The main problem UK residents will find is the word 'legally' - we'll probably be OK as the ANPR cameras at the French/Spanish border will only see a French numberplate as all our vehicles are legal and French registered (unlike many UK expats) and our French insurance covers all of Europe without any timescale and without identifying the nationality of the owner (we have French licences anyway). UK plates will obviously identify the vehicle/owner as non-EU with any consequences regarding International Driving Permits and additional insurance should these be needed.

Bib....assuming Brexit goes through which as we know is very much 'unfinished business' (to use a now infamous quote!), as you say ANPR will identify the vehicle nationality, but that doesn't necessarily identify the owners nationality.

In Romania this year i noticed a heavier than usual police presence (i got stopped four times at roadside checks). Driving through Bucharest which is manic, i got cut up on a roundabout by some toerag in a BMW and staggered when i saw the car was UK plated.....so let forth a few choice expletives!

Later that evening i was enjoying a few drinks with a group of Romanians and vented my anger at what had occurred earlier that day and one guy said to me, "what makes you think the driver was British? He could have been Romanian who'd worked in UK and bought the car there". He was right yet that hadn't crossed my mind.

Many people try to travel under the radar, but post Brexit the radar is likely to scan lower.

I've no doubt at all on that and there will be those who've previously enjoyed unfettered 'freedom of movement', suddenly having their wings clipped and regretting where they stuck that 'x' on the ballot paper!

pepe63 - 2018-10-24 10:01 AM

david lloyd - 2018-10-24 9:42 AM

TheFrenchConnection - 2018-10-23 7:57 PM

... because you haven't left yet. But when you do......

For goodness sake even Baldrick had a plan, which is more than can be said for the Brexiteers.

Except the person leading the charge to leave was never a Brexiteer - there is a view that she very much does have a plan and it doesn't involve leaving the EU......

..and why is she leading it? because when push came to shove, the head "Brexiteers" all bottled out, and ran away... *-)

(sorry Derek U..as that's even more OT..time for a move to Trollbox (sorry.."Chatterbox"?)

Spot on!

Pelmetman, no one has suggested that Brits or any other nationality would be 'kicked out' of any EU country but it is an unavoidable fact that non-EU citizens will not have the same rights as EU citizens post Brexit.

Surely as a Brit living in an EU country that would have occurred to you?

We have no fear of being 'kicked out' of France but we are realistic enough to realise that there will be changes, perhaps on our freedom of movement certainly on our working rights. No one yet knows - and Russians buying Spanish property hardly seems relevant to the changes which will be experienced by soon-to-be-ex EU citizens.

Good morning,

Whilst talking with a French campsite owner he said that without the Brits and Dutch coming eary and late in the season his business would not be viable . Any restrictions on British travellers will be minimal because tourism is one of France,s main industries and the French are past masters at extracting money from the gullible Brits

goldi - 2018-10-25 9:47 AM

Good morning,

Whilst talking with a French campsite owner he said that without the Brits and Dutch coming eary and late in the season his business would not be viable . Any restrictions on British travellers will be minimal because tourism is one of France,s main industries and the French are past masters at extracting money from the gullible Brits

The possible restrictions in travel will generally not affect those people who do not travel a lot. Annual holidays can and will be taken, but the restrictions will mostly affect long term visitors. As to camp site owners, I doubt if there will be much change for them, apart from probably those sites in the warmth of Spain, so maybe we will all think more about Morocco!

I regret the attitude of a large number of UK residents who do not appreciate the benefits for GB of the Companies in Europe for our young people to work and the Universities for them to study and similarly we benefit from the exchange from their young people.

This will probably be a lot more difficult for our young people after brexit !

When travelling in mainland Europe there were many signs indicating work that was subsidised through the EEC, hence the benefit was evident (unfortunately I have seen no similar signs in Southern England).

Having worked for a multinational European Company where I worked Germany Spain and Italy though mainly in France so I paid French Tax and had a French residents permit.

Having started this thread, I have been very interested to see the many and varying views, and thank you all for the input. Being lucky enough to have a house in Spain and the UK, and not wishing to lose the right for full travel in Europe, my wife and I are now considering taking the plunge and becoming resident in Spain, before, and if we leave Europe, especially in the case of a no deal. There is a relatively low financial penalty which I feel would be offset by the benefits of free travel. The only large cloud on the horizon would appear to be whether, as Brits with the blue passport, with no other agreements currently in place, would a residency in another country be secure. Our French connection friend seems to be secure in France, and with taxes paid, and the medical set up, hopefully, we in Spain would also be secure. Yes, heads are still in the sand, and a huge question mark hangs over the future. At least if we take the plunge, then we can always reverse the decision in the future. Now, how much is it going to cost me to register the new van in Spain!!!!!! *-)

Justan update on the meeting mp's had today to sort out brexit.

"The message that many MPs took away from today's Brexit evidence session was that the Home Office either could not, or would not, explain how crashing out of the EU could affect the lives of millions of people and affect the country's ability to protect the borders.

At one point the minister appeared to be unveiling a new employment-checks policy. As Caroline Nokes left the committee room, critics were already pointing out that the Home Office has no plan in place that matches what she told the committee. And with five months to go, there was still no hint of when the department would unveil its new immigration system.

On security, there were also more questions than answers. Officials revealed there had been no assessment of the damage that would be done if the UK lost access to an EU intelligence database that police officers use 1.4 million times a day to check for information gathered by their counterparts.

That scenario - and others including the loss of the European Arrest Warrant - is causing such alarm among police chiefs, they've put 500 officers on standby to manage the fall-out from a No-Deal crisis."

Oh lovely. Doesnt the post Brexit world sound delightful. Employers going up to anyone with a funny sounding name and saying "Your Papers please". What does that phrase conjure up in your mind? Im sure I have heard it before.

Easy answer for the employee I suppose. Just tell them your British and to sod off.

While looking at the BBC website (Derek's link above) I was lured into watching the Evan Davis (Newsnight) interview with George Osborne, which I had missed. (With apologies that this is only partially relevant to the topic, but...…………………. what a part! :-))

On the interview panel, representing UKIP, was Suzanne Evans, ex deputy leader thereof. Towards the end of the programme, Evans was asked whether UKIP had promoted Brexit in the expectation that it would make Britain richer, or make Britain poorer. She replied that it was neither, that UKIP had promoted Brexit so that we could take back control.

Extraordinary. According to their ex deputy leader (appearing on Newsnight to represent UKIP, so presumably appearing with party backing), there was no consideration given by UKIP to the probable economic consequences of their central policy. Dumbfounded! The interview is in the last 10 minutes or so.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-10-31 3:11 PM

While looking at the BBC website (Derek's link above) I was lured into watching the Evan Davis (Newsnight) interview with George Osborne, which I had missed. (With apologies that this is only partially relevant to the topic, but...…………………. what a part! :-))

On the interview panel, representing UKIP, was Suzanne Evans, ex deputy leader thereof. Towards the end of the programme, Evans was asked whether UKIP had promoted Brexit in the expectation that it would make Britain richer, or make Britain poorer. She replied that it was neither, that UKIP had promoted Brexit so that we could take back control.

Extraordinary. According to their ex deputy leader (appearing on Newsnight to represent UKIP, so presumably appearing with party backing), there was no consideration given by UKIP to the probable economic consequences of their central policy. Dumbfounded! The interview is in the last 10 minutes or so.

........And the economic consequences of giving over our sovereignty to the EU would be what exactly? ;-) .........

Lets face it....... being nowt but a EU meal ticket is hardly what I'd call "being in control" *-) ..........

• 2 weeks later...
Barryd999 - 2018-10-31 12:15 PM

Oh lovely. Doesnt the post Brexit world sound delightful. Employers going up to anyone with a funny sounding name and saying "Your Papers please". What does that phrase conjure up in your mind? Im sure I have heard it before.

Easy answer for the employee I suppose. Just tell them your British and to sod off.

Just goes to show you, don't believe everything you read, this is the situation right now and has been for several years. It is a employer obligation to check that anyone they employ has the right to be here, don't you remember the home office getting into trouble over employing illegal labour.

Visa free travel but the EHIC card is finished.

The commission also says the European Health Insurance Card will no longer give UK citizens rights to reciprocal healthcare when abroad and that travellers should make arrangements to get private insurance.

The EU also plan to introduce an electronic travel authorisation for non-EU countries though Swiss will be exempt. EU and Swiss will get priority lane access whilst UK citizens will need to get used to queuing.

Snowbirds can also wave goodbye to their 6 monthly jaunts to winter over in Spain.

Holders of British driving licences may need a “green card” to drive in EU countries, and they should check with the country they are visiting to see whether an international permit is required.

edit* just noticed Colin posted the same link.

Bulletguy - 2018-11-13 8:52 PM

The commission also says the European Health Insurance Card will no longer give UK citizens rights to reciprocal healthcare when abroad and that travellers should make arrangements to get private insurance.

The EU also plan to introduce an electronic travel authorisation for non-EU countries though Swiss will be exempt. EU and Swiss will get priority lane access whilst UK citizens will need to get used to queuing.

Snowbirds can also wave goodbye to their 6 monthly jaunts to winter over in Spain.

Holders of British driving licences may need a “green card” to drive in EU countries, and they should check with the country they are visiting to see whether an international permit is required.

Going to get to see a lot more of this green and pleasant land of ours then....

David

david lloyd - 2018-11-13 8:56 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-13 8:52 PM

Going to get to see a lot more of this green and pleasant land of ours then....

They might not think it so 'green and pleasant' after spending their 'holiday' sat in Operation Stack on the M20. ;-)

Well its confirmed for certain that we will only have a maximum of 90 days in Europe which of course will be recorded electronically it seems.

Trouble is though with the routes to the ferries choked and people maybe deciding to give Europe a swerve its going to get pretty crowded in the UK if you do decide to explore more of your green and pleasant land. Best get those CC sites for 2020 booked now. Christ! Thats a depressing thought. I think there should be an express lane for Remainers at Dover.

Barryd999 - 2018-11-13 11:11 PM

Well its confirmed for certain that we will only have a maximum of 90 days in Europe which of course will be recorded electronically it seems.

Trouble is though with the routes to the ferries choked and people maybe deciding to give Europe a swerve its going to get pretty crowded in the UK if you do decide to explore more of your green and pleasant land. Best get those CC sites for 2020 booked now. Christ! Thats a depressing thought. I think there should be an express lane for Remainers at Dover.

I've always said that from day one if only it was logistically possible (bib). Also the 90 day limit should only apply to Brexiters.

I think at the moment no one knows? We have a holiday cottage near Limoges and for the last five years we have driven down to it in our Motorhome around October, after a while as it gets cooler made out way down to the Med then followed the coast on down to Portugal. As the weather improves we make our way back up to the cottage. We have our dog with us. Inspite of making Enquiries about pet passport/returning to the UK, no clear info was given about what would happen. So as long as the sun comes up, it doesn't rain too much, I'll worry about the rest of it when I have too.

Archived