End of Austerity

John52

Bulletguy - 2018-10-31 9:20 PM

In a nutshell, you won't get low prices now unless going further east....Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania and Poland though Serbia not being an EU country means if found, you are likely to lose your fags/booze.

Not sure on prices, but the French and Germans go to Luxemburg to get fuel, fags, and booze. Didn't realise quite how big a business it was when first filling up with fuel as paid at the pump, but on return trip went into kiosk to pay and it was like walking into a duty free shop.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colin - 2018-10-31 10:37 PM

In a nutshell, you won't get low prices now unless going further east....Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania and Poland though Serbia not being an EU country means if found, you are likely to lose your fags/booze.

Not sure on prices, but the French and Germans go to Luxemburg to get fuel, fags, and booze. Didn't realise quite how big a business it was when first filling up with fuel as paid at the pump, but on return trip went into kiosk to pay and it was like walking into a duty free shop.

And yet its tiny compared to the money made in Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

If the public were educated about the extent of inequality and tax evasion, the only people voting Tory would be the 1% who benefit from them.

So the other 99% have to be fed crap blaming immigrants instead. *-)

Same Old Tory Divide and Rule >:-)

John52 - 2018-11-01 7:21 AM

If the public were educated about the extent of inequality and tax evasion, the only people voting Tory would be the 1% who benefit from them.

Luxemburg is one of the biggest tax havens in the world.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2018-11-01 7:50 AM

John52 - 2018-11-01 7:21 AM

That's irrelevant to John52 ;-) ..........

It's not run by the Tories :D ..........

But thats only one

How many has Her Unelected Majesty got?

More to the point how do they affect the 99.9% of British people who have got no money in them?

pelmetman - 2018-11-01 9:06 AM

That's irrelevant to John52 ;-) ..........

It's not run by the Tories :D ..........

More to the point your 'newspaper' owners haven't got their money in Luxembourg.

Their money is in Her Unelected Majesty's Tax Havens.

And they are scared of an EU wide tax-treaty.

So they are feeding you all the tripe you read blaming immigrants and the EU

John52 - 2018-11-01 9:50 AM

But thats only one

How many has Her Unelected Majesty got?

More to the point how do they affect the 99.9% of British people who have got no money in them?

Here's the take on it from the US, but there are also many companies operating in the UK which use Luxembourg to 'launder' money and pay little tax.

It affects the 99.9% of British people because they have to make up the shortfall in tax revenue. I recall a program on tv a few years back where they visited a small office block, there was hardly anyone working in it, but it processed billions of pounds from UK companies.

It could be argued that those companies who register offshore but operate in the UK for tax reasons do provide jobs for UK people who do pay income tax and NI, and VAT and fuel duty when they spend their income, so would it be better if those companies left the UK and based their operations elsewhere and lose those jobs ?

What would that achieve that would benefit the UK?

Tracker - 2018-11-01 2:15 PM

It could be argued that those companies who register offshore but operate in the UK for tax reasons do provide jobs for UK people who do pay income tax and NI, and VAT and fuel duty when they spend their income, so would it be better if those companies left the UK and based their operations elsewhere and lose those jobs ?

It would depend on what type of company they are, when you get companies selling product which is consumed locally it becomes a very unfair system. Take Café Nero, despite UK sales of £313m they pay zero corporation tax, Costa Coffee with sales of £886m pay £25m corporation tax, even your local small coffee shop will have to pay corporation tax if they earn enough. What would happen to Café Nero's customers if they left the market? odds are they will go to another coffee shop.

pelmetman - 2018-10-31 4:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-10-31 4:05 PM

It is true that only the Commission can propose legislation but, for it to be adopted, both the (elected) parliament and the (elected) Council have to approve it. This is not unlike UK democracy, where legislation is proposed by government, and has to be approved by both houses of parliament to become law.

So, who then is it that can "only rubber stamp the policies of the unelected"?

So, who then is it that can "only rubber stamp the policies of the unelected"? It isn't the parliament (who can accept, reject, or amend), it isn't the Council (ditto), and no one else is involved in approving proposed legislation. Tricky!

You've just said who ;-) ........Although full marks for spinning the reality :D .........

Perhaps next...... you can explain why Germans hold all the important jobs in the EU? ;-) .......

Just askin :D .........as I find your EU sycophancy quite funny (lol) ........

I've added back the bit to my post (in italics) that you left out, as it answers your question. If you disagree that the answer is effectively "no-one", you'll need to say who else you think it is.

There is no spin, it is fact (at least, it is fact according to Wikipedia). If you think they are wrong, please say where.

I don't think the Germans do hold all the important jobs in the EU, but I guess to get there you've decided that all jobs held by Germans are important, and those held by all other nationals are unimportant! So, why not list the important jobs, and then say who holds them? Your anti-EU prejudice is evident, your EU facts are not!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-01 3:29 PM

It is true that only the Commission can propose legislation but, for it to be adopted, both the (elected) parliament and the (elected) Council have to approve it. This is not unlike UK democracy, where legislation is proposed by government, and has to be approved by both houses of parliament to become law.

So, who then is it that can "only rubber stamp the policies of the unelected"? It isn't the parliament (who can accept, reject, or amend), it isn't the Council (ditto), and no one else is involved in approving proposed legislation. Tricky!

You've just said who ;-) ........Although full marks for spinning the reality :D .........

Perhaps next...... you can explain why Germans hold all the important jobs in the EU? ;-) .......

I've added back the bit to my post (in italics) that you left out, as it answers your question. If you disagree that the answer is effectively "no-one", you'll need to say who else you think it is.

There is no spin, it is fact (at least, it is fact according to Wikipedia). If you think they are wrong, please say where.

I don't think the Germans do hold all the important jobs in the EU, but I guess to get there you've decided that all jobs held by Germans are important, and those held by all other nationals are unimportant! So, why not list the important jobs, and then say who holds them? Your anti-EU prejudice is evident, your EU facts are not!

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-selmayr-problem-too-many-germans-in-top-jobs/

*-) .........

It's worthwhile for those that live near the border or touring through there but not worth a "booze/baccy" trip. Germans living near Czech also buy baccy their as it's cheaper though prices in Germany aren't punitive like UK.

I didn't pass anywhere near there this year but diesel pump price is showing at €1.11 - €1.12 per litre.

In Poland i way paying around 95p - £1 max per litre....and that's inclusive of VED as Polish pay their VED by how much fuel they use....they aren't taxed in addition to like we are here. It's hovered around that mark the past few years now too.

I smoke Marlboro 100's when in Europe which are listed in Lux at €55 a sleeve. Still lots cheaper than UK price but for example in Serbia i'm paying less than half that amount at just €25 a sleeve. They're a luxury i can't afford back in UK where they cost more than four times that amount. Poland, Bulgaria, Romania...all cheap price. Moldova i was buying at £1.20 a pack but 'lost' a few packs going back into Romania at the border because Moldova isn't an EU country. At least they were decent about it and didn't bother scouring the rest of my van!

Believe it or not, Luxembourg is a favourite tax evasion spot for some Swiss business folk.

Luxembourg booze 'n baccy prices; https://alcostore.lu/en/home

Luxembourg diesel; https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/Luxembourg/diesel_prices/

Guest pelmetman
pelmetman - 2018-11-01 3:35 PM

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-selmayr-problem-too-many-germans-in-top-jobs/

*-) .........

Nothing to say Brian? :D ........

Well by that logic no companies would be charged tax on their earnings in case they moved abroad.

In many case they can't move their operations abroad because its land and buildings. Like the Duke of Westminster's £10billion pile of English property he inherited tax free and perfectly legally because its registered abroad.

It would be easy to tax unearned income like UK land and buildings. They can't hide their land and buildings abroad. Just slap a tax on it, and if the owners are hiding abroad you don't even have to find them - just seize the land and buildings and they will soon appear. Far easier and better for the economy than taxing earned income But we have too many landowners in Government to allow it.

But back to topic. I think we have established England's booze culture isn't down to price - because its cheaper across the channel.

But what is different across the channel, where they don't have the level of problems with drink, is they don't have the levels of inequality either.

Wherever you have high levels of inequality you have high levels of crime. The evidence of that is overwhelming - and common sense. But the Government has its fingers in its ears and has just increased inequality even more with its budget.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-02 8:45 AM

But back to topic. I think we have established England's booze culture isn't down to price - because its cheaper across the channel.

But what is different across the channel, where they don't have the level of problems with drink, is they don't have the levels of inequality either.

Wherever you have high levels of inequality you have high levels of crime. The evidence of that is overwhelming - and common sense. But the Government has its fingers in its ears and has just increased inequality even more with its budget.

Under Corbyn we can all expect to be equally poor *-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-02 8:41 AM

Well by that logic no companies would be charged tax on their earnings in case they moved abroad.

In many case they can't move their operations abroad because its land and buildings. Like the Duke of Westminster's £10billion pile of English property he inherited tax free and perfectly legally because its registered abroad.

It would be easy to tax unearned income like UK land and buildings. They can't hide their land and buildings abroad. Just slap a tax on it, and if the owners are hiding abroad you don't even have to find them - just seize the land and buildings and they will soon appear. Far easier and better for the economy than taxing earned income But we have too many landowners in Government to allow it.

The usual left wing hypocrisy from someone who keeps HIS money abroad to avoid tax >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-02 8:58 AM

The usual left wing hypocrisy from someone who keeps HIS money abroad to avoid tax >:-) ..........

The usual ill informed nonsense from the Mad Hatter (lol)

Being domiciled in UK I still pay the same tax - because all the money comes back into the UK so it will all be liable for UK tax.

Unlike the 'newspaper' owners domiciled in Her Majesty's Tax havens who feed you all the tripe you regurgitate about Brexit :D

Mine is just invested in foreign companies to avoid the effects of your Brexit.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

I say Brexit will be bad for Britain so have put my money abroad. What's hypocritical about that? (I'll give you a clue 'cos I can see you're a bit thick ;-) - there is nothing hypocritical about that)

Unlike your Brextremist hypocrites who say Brexit will be good for Britain whilst they keep their own money abroad >:-)

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-02 9:55 AM

Being domiciled in UK I still pay the same tax - because all the money comes back into the UK so it will all be liable for UK tax.

Only on what you bring back to the UK if its above the income tax threshold ;-) ...........

Not on the profit your offshore dosh is making whilst its in Eire *-) ...........

Yet you continue to slag off the rich for doing the same thing :-| ..........

That's called hypocrisy! >:-) ......

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-02 9:55 AM

Unlike the 'newspaper' owners domiciled in Her Majesty's Tax havens who feed you all the tripe you regurgitate about Brexit :D

No doubt Corbyn will bring in Press Censorship if he wins? ;-) .........

More echos of Hitler *-) ......

John52 - 2018-11-02 8:45 AM

UK has become a divided nation and not just over Brexit either as it was happening long before. The poverty gap between wealthy and the less well off has increasingly become a chasm and i'm not comparing the extremes of the 'super rich' with unemployed either.

John52 - 2018-11-02 8:41 AM

Says the hypocrite who runs off to Spain for most of the year to avoid Brexit Blighted prices *-)

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-selmayr-problem-too-many-germans-in-top-jobs/ *-) .........

That's three Dave, not all, as you claimed. Now, where are all those "rubber stampers" you were on about?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-02 4:53 PM

https://www.politico.eu/article/brussels-selmayr-problem-too-many-germans-in-top-jobs/ *-) .........

That's three Dave, not all, as you claimed. Now, where are all those "rubber stampers" you were on about?

Why am I not surprised that you just brush off the "fact" that Germans hold all the top jobs in the EU *-) ........

Herr Brian >:-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-02 4:36 PM

Says the hypocrite who runs off to Spain for most of the year to avoid Brexit Blighted prices *-)

So says the hypocrite who buys his fags abroad to avoid paying UK taxes >:-) ........

.......and Sod all those folk who have to put up with passive smoking your weed by being down wind of you eh? *-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-11-02 1:43 PM

Not on the profit your offshore dosh is making whilst its in Eire *-) ............

You're wrong again. I pay dividend tax and Capital Gains Tax just the same as if it was all invested in the UK. Unlike your 'newspaper' owners domiciled in Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

pelmetman - 2018-11-02 1:43 PM

Yet you continue to slag off the rich for doing the same thing :-| ..........

That's called hypocrisy! >:-) ......

You still don't want to understand it do you?

Itsd not the same thing because I am domiciled in UK paying UK Tax, whilst they are not because they are domiciled in Her Majesty's Tax Havens.

Yes I have put my money abroad - But I am not saying Brexit is Good for Britain whilst doing so!!!!

I'm saying Brexit is bad for Britain whilst putting my money abroad.

Whats hypocritical about that?

Archived