UK Poverty probed by UN

Bulletguy

John52 - 2018-11-17 9:42 AM

Also reminded me of something I heard a long time ago. Lots of people want us to cut benefits to the poor so they pay less tax. They won't say so, and they will criticise the Government for doing it. But they will vote for a Government that does it.

Not me!

I have been saying for years that as a wealthy country that those of us who can afford it, including well off retirees of any age, should pay more in tax to fund the services we desire, schools, health, police, social care etc.

Why should NI payments stop at 60 - just when we are going to be more in need of support than ever before?

The basic income tax threshold should rise to take low earners out of income tax but not the higher rate thresholds.

But I doubt any government would ever have the political will to make that happen.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2018-11-17 10:55 AM

Also reminded me of something I heard a long time ago. Lots of people want us to cut benefits to the poor so they pay less tax. They won't say so, and they will criticise the Government for doing it. But they will vote for a Government that does it.

Not me!

I have been saying for years that as a wealthy country that those of us who can afford it, including well off retirees of any age, should pay more in tax to fund the services we desire, schools, health, police, social care etc.

Why should NI payments stop at 60 - just when we are going to be more in need of support than ever before?

The basic income tax threshold should rise to take low earners out of income tax but not the higher rate thresholds.

But I doubt any government would ever have the political will to make that happen.

Must admit i only know a few wealthy retirees and all had very good jobs throughout their lives. Both my sister and brother-in-law live solely from their work pensions alone and never drawn their state pension which is just piling up somewhere. No idea what their work pensions are (never asked them) but one relative retired on £35k pa......and that was fifteen years ago. I only know because he's openly told me and his lifestyle etc reflects it.

I agree re. higher rate threshold as this is the point in life where people should be paying more.....and it's not much of an effort either. When my son was in the forces he was paying higher rate tax. I was staggered as i had no idea until he told me but he'd gone in at the very bottom and worked his way up through the ranks and promotion came very fast. He isn't on higher rate tax now though as he took a big pay drop when joining LFB. Less chance of being shot at or stepping on IED's, just another type of risk to deal with.

People on higher income levels eventually lose touch.....50 quid is 'small change' and what they spend on a take-away or an evening out yet we've got folk battling to keep a roof over their head and feed a family on little more.

The recent series of "Rich House Poor House" highlighted the huge disparities. I thought it was going to be another 'benefit basher' documentary series which everyone is sick of, but it wasn't. They took working families from both sides to exchange places for one week. In some cases the "Rich House" families had as much as £3 grand to live off....and yes that's per week. Some good came out of this 'social experiment' in that all families have remained friends with the wealthy families helping their less well off counterparts, not just financially but in most cases helping them toward a better future. So where government has failed in any political will to 'make that happen', people like this are doing it. Perhaps that's the way to go? I know that's the viewpoint of men like Nick Hanauer (just google anything about him and you'll see what i mean).

Guest pelmetman

Not actually true ;-) .........

Even this hang em flog em right winger would like to see the real poor receive a decent level of benefit :-| .........

The trouble is the system allows widespread abuse *-) ..........

Perhaps if the system actual just provided vouchers for housing, food etc rather than money it would be less easy to defraud :-| ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-18 8:52 AM

Perhaps if the system actual just provided vouchers for housing,

They used to do that by paying housing benefit direct to the landlord.

Until Government intervention in the housing market forced rents up above the level of housing benefit.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-18 4:08 PM

Perhaps if the system actual just provided vouchers for housing,

They used to do that by paying housing benefit direct to the landlord.

Until Government intervention in the housing market forced rents up above the level of housing benefit.

Which just goes to show how London skews the benefit markets *-) ............

Even this hang em flog em right winger would like to see the real poor receive a decent level of benefit :-| .........

Talking of 'widespread abuse', which accounts for the biggest loss to UK.....benefit fraud or tax evasion?

Bulletguy - 2018-11-18 5:32 PM

Talking of 'widespread abuse', which accounts for the biggest loss to UK.....benefit fraud or tax evasion?

Princess ... have you never knowingly paid a tradesmen cash for work carried out on your home or local Mosque ??? ... Never paid cash to the garage for a bit of work ??? ... Course you have you hypocrite ... Shut up

Archived