UK Poverty probed by UN

Bulletguy

No wonder the number of landlords willing to rent to those on on the DSS is at an all time low ... Giving many of these types a bundle of cash to pay rent etc is plain bonkers as many much prefer to buy booze and fags rather than honour the rent contract they've signed ... Eventually after much help some quite rightly get thrown out onto the streets and then cry they're not the bad guys ... The loops that give to food banks though means they can still blow money on fags and booze and phones , seen it more than once at a local Church food charity ... Makes the givers feel good about themselves though suppose

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-13 3:56 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 12:37 PM

John52 - 2018-11-13 12:01 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 9:20 AM

derek pringle - 2018-11-13 9:09 AM

Hi,

its an absolute disgrace, if you can you should watch last nights Panorama programme. Record number and amount of rent arrears resulting in escalating evictions. Benefit for rent should be paid direct to the landlord and this would alleviate a huge problem. The number of ordinary people forced to foodbanks is a disgrace and humiliating to the people having to attend them. Very hard to expect somebody to pay rent while watching their children go hungry.

cheers

derek

Speaking as a Landlord I agree ;-) ..........

The rise in evictions is because the government changed the rules thinking they could teach snowflakes how to be responsible 8-) ..........

Like that was gonna work *-) .........

The Government changed the rules - giving rent direct to the tenant - when they cut housing benefit below the level of rents.

The level of rents is set by supply and demand ;-) ...........

If you cant afford the rent in your area then you need to move to a cheaper area :-| ..........

I can afford a new car.......but I cant afford a Roll Royce.......Should I expect them to sell me one for what I can afford???? :-S ........

Rubbish! This man bought one off ebay without even viewing it for just £4,100.....but then when it comes to cars he does know what he's talking about.....oh and yes, in case you're wondering he also owns those other cars.

You missed the word "NEW" *-) .........

Not that I would ever be dumb enough to buy something built this century 8-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-13 3:48 PM

Hi,

its an absolute disgrace, if you can you should watch last nights Panorama programme. Record number and amount of rent arrears resulting in escalating evictions. Benefit for rent should be paid direct to the landlord and this would alleviate a huge problem. The number of ordinary people forced to foodbanks is a disgrace and humiliating to the people having to attend them. Very hard to expect somebody to pay rent while watching their children go hungry.

cheers

derek

The rise in evictions is because the government changed the rules thinking they could teach snowflakes how to be responsible 8-) ..........

The Government changed the rules - giving rent direct to the tenant - when they cut housing benefit below the level of rents.

If you cant afford the rent in your area then you need to move to a cheaper area :-| ..........

I can afford a new car.......but I cant afford a Roll Royce.......Should I expect them to sell me one for what I can afford???? :-S ........

I think some people have already pointed out that the level of rent is dependent on supply and demand Dave. What's more, isn't it likely that an area has property that is cheaper to rent because there is no work or very low paid work available? On the one hand you want people to show they are willing to work and not scroungers yet on the other you think it better that they choose an option that make it less likely that they will find work or, if they manage to find it, they will still be reliant on state benefits. The poor just can't win if we follow your logic.

I also wonder where it is in the UK that you think there loads of empty houses available for rent sufficient to make up the shortfall of available housing. P'raps we should put the people who are dependent on housing benefit and other benefits on a bus to the middle of nowhere with one bag each, no TVs, and a tent, or we could reinstate some of the workhouses beloved of the Victorians I suppose.

If people are living off benefits, why should they be subsidized to live in a high rent area? :-| .........

If they are "Working" in the NHS or a similar occupation then there is a argument for subsidizing their rent..........Not for subsidizing the rent of those who work for MacDonalds who should be paying their staff the commensurate rate for that area ;-) .............

Do those businesses not charge more for their services in high rent areas ?...........

I always charged more to work in London.........That's how a supply & demand system is supposed to work Veronica :D .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 8:24 AM

Hi,

cheers

derek

I think some people have already pointed out that the level of rent is dependent on supply and demand Dave. What's more, isn't it likely that an area has property that is cheaper to rent because there is no work or very low paid work available? On the one hand you want people to show they are willing to work and not scroungers yet on the other you think it better that they choose an option that make it less likely that they will find work or, if they manage to find it, they will still be reliant on state benefits. The poor just can't win if we follow your logic.

I also wonder where it is in the UK that you think there loads of empty houses available for rent sufficient to make up the shortfall of available housing. P'raps we should put the people who are dependent on housing benefit and other benefits on a bus to the middle of nowhere with one bag each, no TVs, and a tent, or we could reinstate some of the workhouses beloved of the Victorians I suppose.

If people are living off benefits, why should they be subsidized to live in a high rent area? :-| .........

If they are "Working" in the NHS or a similar occupation then there is a argument for subsidizing their rent..........Not for subsidizing the rent of those who work for MacDonalds who should be paying their staff the commensurate rate for that area ;-) .............

Do those businesses not charge more for their services in high rent areas ?...........

I always charged more to work in London.........That's how a supply & demand system is supposed to work Veronica :D .........

B****y Nora Dave I agree with you on something. Some people just aren't being paid enough in London and in other areas where rents are high. There's also a big knock on effect from the sale of former council properties now in the hands of landlords. My daughter once shared and ex-council 3 bedroom flat with 2 other girls in Kentish Town where the landlord was raking in over £2000 a month and that was considered cheap. Often, when vying for rental properties in the private sector a family with one or even two wage earners and two kids can't compete with three single sharers.

Mind and other charities have hit back at Esther McVey, secretary of state for work and pensions, after she told MPs that the DWP had their support for UC changes, including mass migration of claimants to UC.

In a statement McVey claimed:

“. . . charities have been saying that the Department is now listening to what claimants, charities and MPs are saying. The Trussell Trust has said that. Gingerbread has said that. Mind has said that. Mencap has said that.”

Mind responded on Twitter:

“These regulations have confirmed what we have long feared and argued against – that in the move over to Universal Credit three million people, including hundreds of thousands of people with mental health problems, will be forced to make a new claim. This risks many being left without income and pushed into poverty.”

Gingerbread also responded, tweeting:

“We want to be clear – we support changes to the system that benefit single parents, but this statement does not paint the full picture. We are not complacent and are clear these changes do not do enough to make the system work for single parents”.

Other charities named by McVey, including CPAG and the Trussell Trust, also made clear that they did not agree with her.

It is less than six months since McVey had to apologise to parliament for misleading MPs about UC. Clearly, that experience has not dampened her enthusiasm for twisting the truth.

antony1969 - 2018-11-13 5:15 PM

Maybe those who claim to care like "wealthy motorhomers" could do more financially to help those they supposedly care so much about instead of buying new motors and going on holidays etc etc ... Nope , thought not

Some of do help family. We have helped grandchildren at Uni, so they can get a good degree, and not have to worry about the cost of living. we are fortunate to be able to do so. But my motto is "Charity begins at home"

PJay

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-14 10:47 AM

Mind and other charities have hit back at Esther McVey, secretary of state for work and pensions, after she told MPs that the DWP had their support for UC changes, including mass migration of claimants to UC.

In a statement McVey claimed:

“. . . charities have been saying that the Department is now listening to what claimants, charities and MPs are saying. The Trussell Trust has said that. Gingerbread has said that. Mind has said that. Mencap has said that.”

Mind responded on Twitter:

“These regulations have confirmed what we have long feared and argued against – that in the move over to Universal Credit three million people, including hundreds of thousands of people with mental health problems, will be forced to make a new claim. This risks many being left without income and pushed into poverty.”

Gingerbread also responded, tweeting:

“We want to be clear – we support changes to the system that benefit single parents, but this statement does not paint the full picture. We are not complacent and are clear these changes do not do enough to make the system work for single parents”.

Other charities named by McVey, including CPAG and the Trussell Trust, also made clear that they did not agree with her.

It is less than six months since McVey had to apologise to parliament for misleading MPs about UC. Clearly, that experience has not dampened her enthusiasm for twisting the truth.

I wonder how many CEO's of charities on 6 figure salaries give to charities ? :-| ..........

Well its not like they cant afford it *-) ..........

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2017-highest-earners/special-report/article/1427306

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-14 9:44 AM

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 8:24 AM

Hi,

cheers

derek

B****y Nora Dave I agree with you on something. Some people just aren't being paid enough in London and in other areas where rents are high. There's also a big knock on effect from the sale of former council properties now in the hands of landlords. My daughter once shared and ex-council 3 bedroom flat with 2 other girls in Kentish Town where the landlord was raking in over £2000 a month and that was considered cheap. Often, when vying for rental properties in the private sector a family with one or even two wage earners and two kids can't compete with three single sharers.

Best go and lie down in a darkened room until you get over the shock.........Nora :D ........

When you wake up consider the fact that maybe cheap EU labour who are prepared to sleep with 40 other folk in a 3 bed semi *-) ............

May actually be the main reason why wages haven't risen inline with business costs in high rent areas ;-) ........

Oh no it has happened again. I agree that the readiness of cheap labour from poorer EU countries has played a large part in keeping wages low here in the UK. Nevertheless I am not persuaded that things will be any different after Brexit, The greedy people will look elsewhere for their cheap labour and if our present government stays in power they will oblige those greedy people with the wherewithal to continue to exploit the desperate from outside the EU rather than within it.

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-14 3:25 PM

Oh no it has happened again. I agree that the readiness of cheap labour from poorer EU countries has played a large part in keeping wages low here in the UK. Nevertheless I am not persuaded that things will be any different after Brexit, The greedy people will look elsewhere for their cheap labour and if our present government stays in power they will oblige those greedy people with the wherewithal to continue to exploit the desperate from outside the EU rather than within it.

The greedy people can only access what labour is available ;-) .........

Wages have already risen since the Brexit vote.........could that be due to the cheap labour tap being turned slowly off? :D ..........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-14 3:52 PM

Soon to be turned on again Dave just you wait.

Who's fault will that be? ;-) .........

Us Purple faced Brexiteer anti open door migration types......or you loony liberal whinging Remoaner open door migration types? *-) .........

Just askin?????? :-| ..........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2018-11-14 4:45 PM

Not the fault of likes of you or me Dave. Big business and its investors will see to it that there is a ready supply of slaves from every part of the world .

Blimey 8-) ..........and I thought I was cynical :D .........

PJay - 2018-11-14 1:37 PM

antony1969 - 2018-11-13 5:15 PM

Maybe those who claim to care like "wealthy motorhomers" could do more financially to help those they supposedly care so much about instead of buying new motors and going on holidays etc etc ... Nope , thought not

Some of do help family. We have helped grandchildren at Uni, so they can get a good degree, and not have to worry about the cost of living. we are fortunate to be able to do so. But my motto is "Charity begins at home"

PJay

Thats great and im sure your grandkids appreciate your generosity ... My comment wasn't directed at yourself or those who help family but at the usual hypocrites who preach to others about social inequality , the homeless etc etc and do nothing ... Some "wealthy motorhomers" who preach to anyone who'll listen about the poor and the homeless have properties they hardly ever use lying empty while those they claim to care for sleep rough ... Yes I know its totally hypocritical

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 3:37 PM

Which as we've seen is leaving the UK to relocate where they can do business. Incidentally i notice you are still avoiding answering that simple question John52 asked you repeatedly...."how many factories are coming here to UK because of Brexit?"

He's been asking you for the past two weeks now and you've not come up with anything. You cannot find one single example can you?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-14 6:50 PM

Which as we've seen is leaving the UK to relocate where they can do business. Incidentally i notice you are still avoiding answering that simple question John52 asked you repeatedly...."how many factories are coming here to UK because of Brexit?"

He's been asking you for the past two weeks now and you've not come up with anything. You cannot find one single example can you?

Blimey Bullet you really are hard work *-) .........

No one is going to invest anywhere until Brexit is over ;-) ........

Even those threatening to leave are hedging their bets >:-) .........

Prolly hoping for a UK bung to stay after we've left, as they know we'll be £350 million quid a week better off B-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-11-14 6:56 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-14 6:50 PM

Blimey Bullet you really are hard work *-) .........

No one is going to invest anywhere until Brexit is over ;-) ........

Oh but they are and already have.........just not in UK that's all. In fact some that were here have simply upped sticks and shipped out to where they have FTA.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/-240-Billion-a-Day-Market-leaves-ahead-of-Brexit/50668/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/And-another-business-leaves-due-to-Brexit/50667/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Michelin-factory-closure/50649/

and dare we mention the uncomfortable truth about pro-Brexiter Dyson who chose Singapore, one of the highest paying labour forces in the world, not to mention prohibitively expensive industrial land, to build his electric car just days after Singapore had signed FTA with the EU.

Taking the recent announcement by Dyson as an example, its electric cars to be made in Singapore will enjoy various preferences when those cars are exported to the countries with which Singapore has FTAs.

More significantly, this means that Dyson – a British company – may have preferential access for its Singapore-made products in many markets, including the EU’s, subject to the terms of the EUSFTA, despite Brexit.

Now......there's still that question John52 asked you over two weeks ago and continues to ask you for an answer; "how many factories are coming here to UK because of Brexit?"

Have you found any yet.....or is it "none"? Come on, be brave, you can say there isn't any.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-14 10:06 PM

Have you found any yet.....or is it "none"? Come on, be brave, you can say there isn't any.

Siemens train factory Goole.......JCB factory Staffordshire ...........Mclaren factory Sheffield.........Boeing Sheffield >:-) .......

I'm starting to feel sorry for your computer ;-) ........always having to google bad news 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-15 10:38 AM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-14 10:06 PM

Siemens train factory Goole.......JCB factory Staffordshire ...........Mclaren factory Sheffield.........Boeing Sheffield >:-) .......

I'm starting to feel sorry for your computer ;-) ........always having to google bad news 8-) .........

Boeing is the only one which could qualify employing just 52 people. The other three have long been established businesses in UK way before Brexit. And my computer is very good at searching out fact to debunk fiction so no need to 'feel sorry' for it.

“Punitive, mean-spirited, and callous” and a government who could do much more to eliminate poverty but simply chooses not to. A damning report from the UN special rapporteur on poverty who described the rise in child poverty as a “social calamity and economic disaster”.

https://www.channel4.com/news/un-expert-says-austerity-has-condemned-millions-to-poverty

Krishnan Guru-Murthy interviewed Treasury Minister Mel Stride who persistently avoided answering a simple question. *-)

https://www.channel4.com/news/mel-stride-mp-in-this-government-there-is-a-very-strong-push-to-reduce-poverty

Bulletguy - 2018-11-17 12:53 AM

“Punitive, mean-spirited, and callous” and a government who could do much more to eliminate poverty but simply chooses not to. A damning report from the UN special rapporteur on poverty who described the rise in child poverty as a “social calamity and economic disaster”.

https://www.channel4.com/news/un-expert-says-austerity-has-condemned-millions-to-poverty

Krishnan Guru-Murthy interviewed Treasury Minister Mel Stride who persistently avoided answering a simple question. *-)

https://www.channel4.com/news/mel-stride-mp-in-this-government-there-is-a-very-strong-push-to-reduce-poverty

Thanks for the links - well worth watching. I like Channel 4 and resent having to pay the BBC to watch it.

The only thing I can think of to say in Mel Strides favour is at least he turned up to 'answer' questions - which is more than can be said for most.

But of course it was the same old Tosh.

Employment statistics ignoring the qusality of jobs

And raising the personal allowance as an answer to poverty - when it benefits the better off the most, and the poor not at all because their earnings are below the income tax threshold anyway.

Sad that they have been conned into blaming the EU and immigrants for their poverty.

And maybe thought they would vote for Brexit just to take a swipe at Cameron & Osborne?

Archived