UK Gov attempt to BLOCK reversal of Article 50 ECJ case

Bulletguy

pelmetman - 2018-11-23 3:05 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-11-23 10:09 AM

pelmetman - 2018-11-23 8:30 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-11-22 11:18 PM

Brexiteers seem to think that the ECJ is the enemy here and that once control is released to the ToryKipper party (as they are now know) everything will be lovely, fair and "democratic". Just look at em! Would you buy a second hand car of any of them? Taking back control is one thing but just be careful who you hand it to.

Where as you surrender monkeys would much rather buy a pup from the ECJ *-) .............

Just because its got European in the title doesn't mean its any better than ours Barry ;-) .........

Hmm, We will see who the surrender monkeys are. I dont notice any of you Brexiteers speaking out vehemently against this terrible deal TM is proposing. On workers rights, regulation and the environment I would trust the EU and ECJ more than I would trust the current Tory party by a country mile. As I said, just look at em! Jeez.

I'm not particularly bothered what the deal is ;-) ..........

So long as we leave B-) .........

If you Remoaners are so desperate to pay for a bad deal 8-) .........

Then so be it :D .......

But "Theresa the Appeaser" has got to get it through Parliament .......and then get those other 26 countries to agree (lol) ..........

Good luck with that Mrs May >:-) .........

It ain't over til the Merkel lady signs :-| .............

You should be bothered Dave. Have you looked at the withdrawal agreement? Its completely terrible. It wont just be remainers paying for it either by the way. Its not even leaving either. After everything you have said I cannot believe your not going absolutely bonkers mad about it. I presume you have written to your MP telling them its a disgrace and to reject it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Barryd999 - 2018-11-24 12:18 AM

Have you looked at the withdrawal agreement? Its completely terrible. .

The EU were never going to give us a better deal out than we had when we were in.

And with a Chaotic Divided 'Government' under the thumb of the DUP, its even worse than I thought it would be.

And of course nothing like we were promised when we voted.

No wonder they won't give us a vote on it before they do it >:-)

Barryd999 - 2018-11-23 10:09 AM

On workers rights, regulation and the environment I would trust the EU and ECJ more than I would trust the current Tory party by a country mile. As I said, just look at em! Jeez.

Same here.

No wonder they won't give us a vote on it now we can see it for what it is >:-(

John52 - 2018-11-24 7:08 AM

The EU were never going to give us a better deal out than we had when we were in.

And with a Chaotic Divided 'Government' under the thumb of the DUP, its even worse than I thought it would be.

Well they might have to give us a vote on it.

If Parliament vote it down and if No Deal is ruled out as an option, what happens then? If there is no way to renegotiate the only choices are to accept the deal or remain and if parliament have already rejected the deal they are left with the choice of just revoking article 50 or letting the public decide between the deal and remaining in the EU. Does anyone see any other options in that scenario?

To answer Barry's question, yes I have. I've downloaded all 585 pages of it, and read most of it. It is virtually unreadable to me. It gives all the qualifications first, and then gives the clause, so whichever way you try to work, by the time you've read the clause, you've forgotten which qualification applies to which part. You need a tagged paper copy to make sense of it, and I'm not printing off 585 pages of largely white paper to do that!

It is a compromise, aimed at trying to reconcile the irreconcilable rift between those whose emotions say leave the EU at whatever cost, and those reasoning says that staying is best for the UK economy. That is why it fails both on both counts. Being a little bit in isn't the same as being out, and being a little bit out isn't the same as being in.

Have you noticed that whenever a members of the government is asked if the deal is projected to be economically better than being in, they won't answer? They instead try to justify it on political grounds, saying how bitterly divided the country might become were Brexit to be denied. Why is that?

My expectation is that when the figures are released next week, they will show us being worse off economically under the deal than if we ditch Brexit. If I'm right, then all they are arguing for is "peace in our time", in the hope that someone else will be in government at the time people work out that a less buoyant economy means most of them get poorer. So, that's that can kicked a bit further down the road, then!

If the deal is worse than membership, so people will be poorer than they are now, they must be told just that. Leaving them to find out later is a fool's mission, and anyone who thinks drawing a veil over that inconvenient little truth will secure future political peace is seriously deluded.

I think next week might be quite interesting! We get to find out if the Article 50 notification can be withdrawn so that we revert to the status quo ante, and we find out whether all versions of Brexit make us poorer. Oh goody! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-24 12:02 PM

………………………. we find out whether all versions of Brexit make us poorer.

:-D

That is the theory - but in practice it will be more speculation.

Those who wish to believe it will do so.

Those who chose not to believe it - won't.

Back to square one !

;-)

malc d - 2018-11-24 12:16 PM

………………………. we find out whether all versions of Brexit make us poorer. :-D

Back to square one ! ;-)

To some extent, I agree, Malc, though I think the figures are better than mere speculation. At least they try to project forward from present data, extrapolating known trends into the future, and it is to be hoped that all projections will be on an even basis.

If any such forecast exactly foretells the future, its authors have been very lucky indeed (think weather forecasts!). But, I think such projections, if read properly, and for all their potential shortcomings, give a better indication of probability than just trusting to luck.

Have you noticed that whenever a members of the government is asked if the deal is projected to be economically better than being in, they won't answer? They instead try to justify it on political grounds, saying how bitterly divided the country might become were Brexit to be denied. Why is that?

May was asked this directly by a phone caller and she just went running off with the fairies through her fields of wheat.....deflection/waffle/deflection/waffle. The funniest part was after May finished waffling the radio show host asked the caller if May had answered his question......and he replies with a firm "no"!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46312909

My expectation is that when the figures are released next week, they will show us being worse off economically under the deal than if we ditch Brexit. If I'm right, then all they are arguing for is "peace in our time", in the hope that someone else will be in government at the time people work out that a less buoyant economy means most of them get poorer. So, that's that can kicked a bit further down the road, then!

If the deal is worse than membership, so people will be poorer than they are now, they must be told just that. Leaving them to find out later is a fool's mission, and anyone who thinks drawing a veil over that inconvenient little truth will secure future political peace is seriously deluded.

Totally agree Brian and from what i've seen so far we are already worse off. Businesses have upped sticks and left to relocate in the EU where they know they can continue. That means jobs have gone and every business that leaves means collateral damage too. That pro-Brexiter Dyson announced he'd build his electric car in Singapore just days after the country signed FTA with the EU should have been more than enough to drive the message home to the most rabidly pro-Brexiters, leaving the EU is a rather silly idea.

As a member state we would still have a seat at the table and be in a position to debate any future regulations......if we withdraw we won't be able to. I'm staggered as to why anyone continues dragging the country into an abyss of bloody minded recklessness, and for what exactly? When asked, no Brexiters appear able to give credible answers as to how they believe they will benefit.

Personally i think May is desperate to get her 'deal' signed, sealed and approved ahead of any legal hearing. In fact once it was known Banks was under criminal investigation, Brexit proceedings should have been put on hold as we still don't know whether democracy was subverted and May still hasn't given an answer as to why she blocked security services from investigating him two years ago. This appears to be getting swept under the carpet.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2018-11-24 12:16 PM

………………………. we find out whether all versions of Brexit make us poorer.

:-D

Back to square one !

;-)

Yep :D ..........

Bulletguy - 2018-11-24 2:14 PM.........…………... In fact once it was known Banks was under criminal investigation, Brexit proceedings should have been put on hold as we still don't know whether democracy was subverted and May still hasn't given an answer as to why she blocked security services from investigating him two years ago. This appears to be getting swept under the carpet.

See here: http://tinyurl.com/yavg5t3t

A further case is being fast-tracked through the high court to determine whether, in view of Banks' shenanigans, the Article 50 notice was invalid. Apparently set to be heard before Christmas.

If only the UK government had observed UK law (made in our very own treasured parliament, of course, by our very own duly elected MPs), in exactly the way those who voted to be freed from EU laws wanted, they wouldn't be having these problems.

Instead, they seem to be riding roughshod over UK law in their anxiety to ram through Brexit. How foolish. What a disgrace that a UK government of whatever political persuasion (but especially the self-avowed party of law and order) has to be taken to court by its citizens to force it to comply with its own laws. What have we become?

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 12:24 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-24 2:14 PM.........…………... In fact once it was known Banks was under criminal investigation, Brexit proceedings should have been put on hold as we still don't know whether democracy was subverted and May still hasn't given an answer as to why she blocked security services from investigating him two years ago. This appears to be getting swept under the carpet.

A further case is being fast-tracked through the high court to determine whether, in view of Banks' shenanigans, the Article 50 notice was invalid. Apparently set to be heard before Christmas.

If only the UK government had observed UK law (made in our very own treasured parliament, of course, by our very own duly elected MPs), in exactly the way those who voted to be freed from EU laws wanted, they wouldn't be having these problems.

Instead, they seem to be riding roughshod over UK law in their anxiety to ram through Brexit. How foolish. What a disgrace that a UK government of whatever political persuasion (but especially the self-avowed party of law and order) has to be taken to court by its citizens to force it to comply with its own laws. What have we become?

Obviously that's just your view and that of your Remoaner lawyers ;-) ........

No doubt your Remoaner's pet Judge will agree with you *-) ........

What better Christmas present than to find that Brexit is simply "Void" and all because of the Criminal Arron Banks. Oh the irony.

Its a great get of jail free card for the Tories as well if Brexit is cancelled because of a corrupt campaign. Not our fault Gov.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-11-25 3:26 PM

What better Christmas present than to find that Brexit is simply "Void" and all because of the Criminal Arron Banks. Oh the irony.

Its a great get of jail free card for the Tories as well if Brexit is cancelled because of a corrupt campaign. Not our fault Gov.

Do you ACTUALLY THINK that if Brexit is thwarted the UK will go back to some pre Brexit La La Land Barry? >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 3:38 PM.........……….

Do you ACTUALLY THINK that if Brexit is thwarted the UK will go back to some pre Brexit La La Land Barry? >:-) .........

It won't need to go back to any earlier time, Dave - time travel is the Brexiters fantasy. They want to travel back to 1972, though God knows why. See here: http://tinyurl.com/73dvlfk

If Brexit is averted, the UK will continue gently evolving, just as it has over the intervening 46 years.

Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 5:42 PM

It won't need to go back to any earlier time, Dave - time travel is the Brexiters fantasy. They want to travel back to 1972, though God knows why. See here: http://tinyurl.com/73dvlfk

If Brexit is averted, the UK will continue gently evolving, just as it has over the intervening 46 years.

We , the UK will continue evolving just as the EU is dissolving ... Cool

Guest pelmetman

Aaaah the fabled Remoaner La La Land of "Status Quo" eh Brian? (lol) ............

Unfortunately that lid you Federalists are trying to keep on ;-) ........

Keeps popping open all over Europe >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 5:46 PM

Aaaah the fabled Remoaner La La Land of "Status Quo" eh Brian? (lol) ............

I just call it the present, Dave. It doesn't need any fancy titles. It is simply where we are now.

I don't know what "lid" federalists might want, I have no contact with federalists, and I don't think the EU will become a federation anytime soon - if ever.

Might that be the reason your "lid" keeps popping open? People simply don't want to be federalised. Fox, and shot? :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-11-25 6:06 PM

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 5:46 PM

I just call it the present, Dave. It doesn't need any fancy titles. It is simply where we are now.

I don't know what "lid" federalists might want, I have no contact with federalists, and I don't think the EU will become a federation anytime soon - if ever.

Might that be the reason your "lid" keeps popping open? People simply don't want to be federalised. Fox, and shot? :-D

It's too late Brian even if EU do mess the trail ;-) ........

The Federalist Fox is in the open..........and us Brexiteers have got the scent ..........Talley-Ho!! >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 3:38 PM

Probably after a few weeks of shouting and screaming. Despite what we might think on social media most of the country have lost interest. If we end up staying though I wouldn't be against reviewing the matter in say five years time. When you think about it, its without doubt that we have made a complete pigs ear of this attempt I dont think anyone can say otherwise. Better to live to fight another day and be better prepared than to continue now with this half arsed fudge.

Precisely Brian and i'm just totally staggered at why the entire Brexit process wasn't put on hold until proceedings against Banks have been properly heard. It's crystal clear that with some it's Brexit at any cost....even if laws have been broken or they need to break a few more to achieve it. The criminal investigation into Banks is an extremely serious matter and those flippantly ignoring it or trying to brush the matter under the carpet are, in my opinion, culpable of subverting democracy and, if Banks is found guilty, culpable of assisting criminality.

I would never be comfortable living with that and i'm shocked and disappointed by those who crowed so loudly about justice, but in reality only want justice when favourable to their own political ends. That isn't democracy.....it's totalitarianism.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-11-25 6:33 PM

Probably after a few weeks of shouting and screaming. Despite what we might think on social media most of the country have lost interest. If we end up staying though I wouldn't be against reviewing the matter in say five years time. When you think about it, its without doubt that we have made a complete pigs ear of this attempt I dont think anyone can say otherwise. Better to live to fight another day and be better prepared than to continue now with this half arsed fudge.

Is it not better to leave ;-) ........and then you whinging Remoaners can tell us we told you so :D ...........

What are you afraid of? >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 8:06 PM

Is it not better to leave ;-) ........and then you whinging Remoaners can tell us we told you so :D ...........

Jeeez.......this has to be the most insane 'reason' i've yet read for wanting Brexit at any cost. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 8:22 PM

Jeeez.......this has to be the most insane 'reason' i've yet read for wanting Brexit at any cost. *-)

Because there wont be any cost Bullet ;-) ........

We'll be taking back control of £350 million quid A WEEK >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-11-25 8:27 PM

Bulletguy - 2018-11-25 8:22 PM

Because there wont be any cost Bullet ;-) ........

We'll be taking back control of £350 million quid A WEEK >:-) ..........

No you won't and you know you won't as that's been explained very clearly to you from Brian (it was noticed you were unable to dispute what he said too).

Leave how though? Thats the six million dollar question. Nobody likes the deal Theresa is proposing and even less people seem to favour your Kamikaze cliff edge chaos no deal Brexit. If it comes to a choice of Theresa's deal or no deal though your option would be the fastest route to us rejoining so ill go for no deal in that case. Throws Ni under the bus but hopefully not for long.

Archived