Compressor fridge.

monique.hubrechtsgm

Monique

Although the Vitrifrigo frisge in your Westfalia is connected directly to a 12V battery, that doesn’t mean that other makes of compressor fridge installed in other motorhomes will have the same sort of direct battery connection.

For example, Deneb has stated that the compressor fridge in his Vantage motorhome is not a Vitrifrigo model and (in his posting of 5 December 2018 11:13 AM) he says “Monique, my fridge is connected to a fused supply in the electrical distribution unit (the large silver box to the left in the attached photo)”.

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2018-12-14 4:28 PM

In the above comments it is suggesting that the supply is via the distribution box 12 volt. That is not the case. They are direct to the battery 12 volt.

But you don't say WHICH battery!

If the starter battery then in my books that is good, but if to the leisure battery then I feel it is bad!

The reason being if the split charge relay should fail BUT the fridge relay still operate then the fridge will be run off the leisure battery without any charge from the alternator so the leisure battery will be flattened.

Keith.

Sorry Keith,

I have, most unusually to disagree. I would expect a compressor fridge to be connected to the habitation battery, via a switch and fuse, or more conveniently via a circuit breaker, which can perform both roles. There is no requirement for a D+ operated relay.

If the habitation battery becomes discharged, you are inconvenienced, but if it was the starter battery then you would be stuck.

Alan

Alanb - 2018-12-14 8:17 PM

Sorry Keith,

I have, most unusually to disagree. I would expect a compressor fridge to be connected to the habitation battery, via a switch and fuse, or more conveniently via a circuit breaker, which can perform both roles. There is no requirement for a D+ operated relay.

If the habitation battery becomes discharged, you are inconvenienced, but if it was the starter battery then you would be stuck.

Alan

Alan,

You are correct, I'm getting the loads and usage of the two types mixed up!

I was assuming that a compressor fridge would only be run with the engine running but of course it will run the whole time as 12 volts is its only energy source!

Scratch my earlier comment!

Keith.

They will run on 12 volt DC for a life time. Whit a Danfoss compressor made by Secop. Do not mix the two names. When the led light is on in my case means that their is 12 vdc on the compressor. A relieve anyway. In my study of it , that light goes out when the door is closed. By a reed contact. whit a magnet. or metal strip you can simulate the light out when door is open or ajar. This is what i want when the thermostat is in off position. Next week vitrifrigo comes into action.

Archived