Calcium battery

jumpstart

Having just had my leisure battery fail,ie the smell of hydrogen and hot and bubbling, I notice it is a calcium battery which I thought the benefits were no excessive gassing. Or was that meant to mean before it fails?

I have read through a lot of passed comments on batteries...what a vast subject.

Calcium technology batteries have been around as Starter batteries for over 20 years. It was adopted because it reduced fluid loss enabling Starter batteries to be low maintenance.

It was not normally used in quality Leisure batteries as it wasn't so good at regular or deep discharging.

About 5 years ago Calcium technology started appearing in budget Leisure batteries and I wondered how they would fare. I had expected about a 24 month life.

The Budgets like Numax/Lucas tend to have a 2 - 3 year life, so it doesn't look like the adoption of Calcium has made much difference in shortening lifetime.

My silver calcium lasted 8 years, I replaced with a standard lead acid that I was assured would be ok, but it wouldn't work the memory for the global windows amongst other things.

I took it back to the shop and they got me a Exide premium carbon boost type battery as a straight swap, now everything works as it should.  I don't know if it will last as long as the silver one, but the Exide 110ah leisure for the caravan lasted 11 years.

I don't know why it has to make some words bigger, but it wasn't me.

Paul- - 2018-12-22 9:06 AM

I don't know why it has to make some words bigger, but it wasn't me.

You most likely have a setting in your Control Panel set incorrectly.

Find "Use rich edit box when composing messages?" and if it is set to 'Yes' change it to 'No' and save the settings.

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-12-22 10:00 AM

You most likely have a setting in your Control Panel set incorrectly.

Find "Use rich edit box when composing messages?" and if it is set to 'Yes' change it to 'No' and save the settings.

Keith.

Thank you Keith that's much better and I have the smiley faces back :-D

Paul- - 2018-12-22 9:06 AM

My silver calcium lasted 8 years, I replaced with a standard lead acid that I was assured would be ok, but it wouldn't work the memory for the global windows amongst other things.

I took it back to the shop and they got me a Exide premium carbon boost type battery as a straight swap, now everything works as it should.  I don't know if it will last as long as the silver one, but the Exide 110ah leisure for the caravan lasted 11 years.

A Silver + Calcium battery is different again as the Silver is the primary technology making a huge difference to capability.

In the typical Calcium Starter battery, Calcium is the primary technology, and generally only used on lesser quality batteries

The Exide Carbon batteries are quite good, the new EFB version due out next year should be very good and are expected to be a match for the Yuasa EFB L36 Carbon batteries.

aandncaravan - 2018-12-22 10:46 PM

A Silver + Calcium battery is different again as the Silver is the primary technology making a huge difference to capability.

In the typical Calcium Starter battery, Calcium is the primary technology, and generally only used on lesser quality batteries

The Exide Carbon batteries are quite good, the new EFB version due out next year should be very good and are expected to be a match for the Yuasa EFB L36 Carbon batteries.

That's sounds promising as the Exide EFBs that are out now have good reports

I didn't know Exide had any Leisure EFB's out yet, I thought there were only Stop Start versions, which are designed for shallower cycling than Leisure?

The Exide EFB Leisure we were told was being launched next year is set to have additional technology to recover the lost ground on their competitors in the Leisure field.

Exide used to be amongst the biggest in the Leisure market, the G80 being legendary, but they took it for granted, neglected technology in this area and lost huge market share.

The Exide guy we spoke to talked of a ET650 with EFB.

Fingers crossed the new Exide Leisure battery flooded range will be a corker and spur Varta to improve the LFD90 by giving that new EFB technology, extra capacity and more cycles, etc.

We all then benefit with a choice of really outstanding, appropriate batteries at a decent price.

Archived